Paul's workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Paul's workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Paul, I hope you don't mind this, but a friend has just taken custody of another model of 4419. This was being scratchbuilt by John Edgson (of isinglass Drawings fame) at his death. It will now be completed and painted.
John_edgson_4419_small.jpg
I am lucky enough to own another of John's locos (an N1) and he really was a superb modeller.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Thanks Graeme and Andrew, very kind.
With regards to time, I haven't kept an official tally but educated guess would be somewhere around 30-35 hours so far. A good proportion of that being wrangling parts that didn't really want to go together. I'm not very fast and spend too much time staring at what I've just done, convincing myself it looks good.
jwealleans wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:26 pm Paul, I hope you don't mind this, but a friend has just taken custody of another model of 4419. This was being scratchbuilt by John Edgson (of isinglass Drawings fame) at his death. It will now be completed and painted.
Of course not, what a stunning thing that is. He must have been given a piercing saw and set of files for his first birthday.
I'd be very interested to see the end result when that model is finished, does it's owner have an online presence/blog? Or maybe you could grab a snapshot next time it's in close proximity.

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice result with your 4419, a lot better than my attempt using a B12. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

manna wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:12 pm G'Day Gents

Very nice result with your 4419, a lot better than my attempt using a B12. :D

manna
Thanks Manna, I'm having fun with it.

Thanks to Graeme King, I've been armed with information to do a better job of the tender front. This is not perfect by a long stretch but it now has locker doors in the roughly right place at least. The ladder above the shovel plate is supposed to be more like louvres I think but again, it's mostly hidden behind the cab so close enough for me.
C1_14.jpg
Back to work tomorrow with lowering of Covid alert level, so progress on models will slow down. Hopefully I'll be able to get into one of the hardware shops soon to get some primer and black spray cans.

Cheers
Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

does it's owner have an online presence/blog?
He doesn't (and he only has it on loan to finish off anyway) but when he does let me have pictures I shall post them here as long as he's agreeable.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

jwealleans wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:26 pm Paul, I hope you don't mind this, but a friend has just taken custody of another model of 4419. This was being scratchbuilt by John Edgson (of isinglass Drawings fame) at his death. It will now be completed and painted.

John_edgson_4419_small.jpg

I am lucky enough to own another of John's locos (an N1) and he really was a superb modeller.
The interesting point about John's Atlantics is that he actually aspired to get a 27.5mm coupled wheelbase by reducing the Romford flange depth. I remember many years ago, at the St Albans show, seeing on of John's Atlantics hammering around curves. John did own a lathe so I'm not sure whether he also slightly reduced the wheel diameter. Not something to easily accomplish with a Gibson wheel!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll ask about that when I next speak to him. We did have 3279, also by John, on Grantham for a while. I don't recall noticing the wheels or flanges bing finer than usual.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hi All
Thanks Jonathan, I'll keep an eye out for it.

4419 isn't finished yet, but starting to look the part. I've managed to track down some primer and got on with painting and lining over the weekend.
What will be sadly more noticeable than I'd hoped is the way the firebox flares away from the boiler too far up the barrel. Bit of a bugger considering how much effort went into making it fit but too late now. A few more parts to go yet and the tender is still all over green but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....so to speak.
C1_15.jpg
C1_16.jpg
I suspect that like many LNER types, I've amassed a collection of Parkside kits to work on during moments of boredom. These two went together whilst waiting for paint to dry on 4419. Both are built straight from the bag, I'm not possessed of JWs determination to make perfect wagons, not yet anyway.
Wagons.jpg
Cheers
Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Perfect wagons? Blimey, no.

This bloke gets much nearer than I do.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Given the speed with which the unique Atlantic has been built, painted and lined, I think it would be unfair of me / us to dwell on the the problem of the relationship between the boiler barrel and the firebox, as you are well aware of the problem yourself. The overall neatness of lining of the loco body is impressive for something achieved so quickly.
Looking back at your pictures of the K's kit parts still sealed on the cards, and the rudimentary assembly diagram, I see that there is supposed to be some sort of of incomplete ring that sits in the interface between the barrel and the firebox, although I can't see that part on the cards. Getting that area of the assembly "just right" with the whole upper half of the rounded surfaces all perfectly flush is evidently a challenge. It looks like the whole thing has just butt-joints, giving the builder no assistance with steady alignment. I shall have to be prepared for plenty of trial fitting, filing, trimming, bending and swearing if/when I put my K's kit together! How hard would it have been for them to make either the barrel plug in to the firebox, or vice versa? That would at least have helped to hold things in place once it was all trimmed to fit.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:01 am Perfect wagons? Blimey, no.

This bloke gets much nearer than I do.
Ha, working brakes? if he does that because each wagon is a stand alone model then fair enough I guess. If they run on a layout errrrr, what? :shock:
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:15 am I see that there is supposed to be some sort of of incomplete ring that sits in the interface between the barrel and the firebox, although I can't see that part on the cards. Getting that area of the assembly "just right" with the whole upper half of the rounded surfaces all perfectly flush is evidently a challenge. It looks like the whole thing has just butt-joints, giving the builder no assistance with steady alignment.
That ring was the crux of the problem, the firebox halves form a ring on the front face that locates on the insert ring. My parts were a little warped due to the box being stored under something heavy during its life before I got hold of it. The combination of reshaping by eye, thickness of the castings and an eventual loss of patience has lead to the error. More careful fettling of the firebox parts would ultimately lead to a better result. Having said that, the photos are very cruel, Viewed from a couple of feet away it's not particularly obvious, but it can't be unseen once pointed out.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:17 am ...Having said that, the photos are very cruel, Viewed from a couple of feet away it's not particularly obvious, but it can't be unseen once pointed out.
All our models are fictions if one is realistic about it. I would create a story for it, how about 'the firebox casing slightly enlarged to permit a couple of experimental thermic syphons to be installed for evaluation' ? This sort of thing comes easily to me, akin to running V2s with GN type eight wheel tenders taken from A1's when they got high sided tenders as part of the A3 upgrade.
nzpaul

Post by nzpaul »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:48 pm All our models are fictions if one is realistic about it. I would create a story for it, how about 'the firebox casing slightly enlarged to permit a couple of experimental thermic syphons to be installed for evaluation' ? This sort of thing comes easily to me, akin to running V2s with GN type eight wheel tenders taken from A1's when they got high sided tenders as part of the A3 upgrade.
I like that idea, sound perfectly plausible to me.
While the firebox thing is a bit annoying at the moment, it's not really any worse than the wonky boiler top of the Nucast P2 or the boiler skirts of Captain Cuttle that give away its origins. It's certainly not as make believe as the 2-4-2 I built last year, all things considered I'm still happy enough with the end result. It looks like 4419, with slightly wide hips.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 pm ...While the firebox thing is a bit annoying at the moment, it's not really any worse than the wonky boiler top of the Nucast P2 or the boiler skirts of Captain Cuttle that give away its origins. It's certainly not as make believe as the 2-4-2 I built last year, all things considered I'm still happy enough with the end result. It looks like 4419, with slightly wide hips...
As already observed by others it's a good looking model.
You should see my old Stephen Poole kit E4, boiler centre line perfectly horizontal after much fettling at assembly, Ta Da! : but unfortunately slightly skewed in plan. But is it such a delight when running. As for my Hornby J52 body on a modified Bachmann pannier mechanism, I haven't got around to sawing out and repositioning the splashers to match the now correct wheelbase. It looks like a J52 when it trundles past...
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

That looks excellent Paul. Is the cab type you've used from the old tender drive model? Genius bit of kit bashing there if so. I have one of Bachmann's 62822s lying around waiting for a new identity and several of those old bodies. Could make a nice wartime black as no.2849. No booster equipment to make happily for that, but yours really looks the part.