Photos from Rob Bergin (J12, N7, J85, and some Teaks)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Photos from Rob Bergin (J12, N7, J85, and some Teaks)

Post by richard »

Rob has been having trouble uploading pictures, so I'm uploading them here. They are of his J12s under construction, his Connoisseur N7, Gem J83, and some teak coaches. I will let him give more detailed descriptions.

(remember to login to the forums, to see attachments)

Richard
Attachments
121_2132.JPG
121_2132.JPG (28.86 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
121_2134.JPG
121_2134.JPG (26.89 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
121_2137.JPG
121_2137.JPG (29.65 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
121_2138.JPG
121_2138.JPG (30.01 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
121_2143.JPG
121_2143.JPG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
121_2144.JPG
121_2144.JPG (27.97 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
121_2151.JPG
121_2151.JPG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
121_2152.JPG
121_2152.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
121_2154.JPG
121_2154.JPG (28.5 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
121_2159.JPG
121_2159.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
121_2160.JPG
121_2160.JPG (29.41 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You bought two J12s? You really are a sucker for punishment. How are you finding them to build and what exactly isn't supplied in the kit?

The teaks are lovely - D & S and Falcon Brass?

BTW has anyone else registered that Jim McGeown (Connoisseur) is stopping production of his 4 mm kits to concentrate on the 7 mm ones? Get in quickly if you want one of these N7s.

Lovely stuff, Rob. You've given me itchy fingers again.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Firstly,thanks to my wife for getting these to Richard and to Richard for uploading them.Apologies re the J83 which I had forgotten was never actually photographed(!)-the shots are a few weeks old,it took a while to find a way of getting them up-the 12's are nearly complete now,the biggest job,the springs and hangers finished Sun night last.Still a way to go though.
To answer you in reverse Jon-yes,very disappointing about Connoisseur,and I don't think there is anything of LNER interest left,I was on to him last week,I wanted some wagons and the NER 4 wheelers,and was disappointed to find the ones I wanted sold out.A bit like Dan Pinnock,he is concentrating on 7mm where he is simply struggling to keep up with demand-deservedly,top quality stuff but another real loss to us 4mm "small fry".
The coaches are a Kirk 52' built maybe 15 years ago and repainted last summer as a try out before doing the others,yes,a brace of Falcon Barnums and the D&S ECJS full brake.I'm afraid the "splodges"on the Barnums were a big mistake-meant to be shade variations,they look like
nothing else BUT messy splodges-I wont try that again on matchboard stock!The D&S is a lovely kit to build and looks better in the photo than in reality-the flat tops to the etched panelling are quite broad and my lining skills pretty limited,but they are a handsome coach.Even last summer Dan was still talking about producing more ECJS clerestory in 4mm to complete his original programme-imagine the 12 wheel dining car!Mmmmm....
The J12's-yes,two,I have asked myself about that at times!What happened was when I enquired about a second set of etchings,Bill offered a revised version gratis if I would do a test build,so that convinced me!I have had the original set for a while awaiting the castings,which are superb,mastered by Jeremy Suter.I often build in pairs though as it saves coming back a few years later and solving the same problem over again!
The etches are excellent BUT designed for P4 so I found myself de-engineering a lot,especially on the chassis,which is etched for hornblocks only(inside or OUTSIDE for the totally deranged)and has splasher backs which I removed.I also used traditional turned 00 spacers.The smokebox arrangement needs a lot of work to clear the narrow gauge wheels too,but the rest is conventional,though the boiler needs to be rolled.The belpaire/boiler barrel join is very well thought out and the fit of parts excellent if complex,though the cab is possibly slightly too narrow going by photos.I have never come across plans.
The tender again is awkward to wheel as it is also intended for OUTSIDE hornblocks,but the rivet detail is wonderful.I built it using the overlays only and did not use a sub-frame provided-fit is excellent,but forming the flares,which are added after the tank is built,took time.
What is not in the package,apart from wheels,bearings etc?
Buffers,( Craftsman GNR tapered for me,Slaters do a suitable sprung),Whistle,Tank filler(no idea what that looked like,any help welcome,I'm going for Craftsman L&Y),Boiler bands(if you fit them)Valvechest cover(scratchbuild)and Smokebox door handles.Its great to have the chimney,dome and smokebox door available now,I have spare DJH and Millholme for that dia boiler but they look quite different,thankfully I waited for Bill to have them run off.
The springs are problematic though-the etches include components you can fold etc leaf by leaf!I bodged using SEF K3 springs cut from their frame castings and from their group standard tender axlebox castings for the tenders,soldered to phos bronze brackets I fitted to the running plates.The hangers were made from Gibson boiler band etchings,bolts from .45 wire.
In essence,thats it.If you are tempted Bill has about 20 sets of castings available,but you will also have to stock up on profanities-oddly,none of the usual model suppliers seem to do those,and I'm running out!As for itchy fingers,read scorched!Next up,a nice batch of simple plastic wagon kits ............

Post by 45609 »

Hi Rob,

Nice to see you've been busy with the J12s. They look excellent by the way. Well done. What livery will you be finishing the in? I wish I could claim to have done as much modelling as you have in the past few months. I am, however, making some slow progress on a mostly scratchbuilt M1 (ex LDEC 0-6-4T). I'll post some pictures when I get time. The coaches and N7 look great as well. no doubt you'll be getting round to that Raven A2 soon ;o)

Cheers.....Morgan
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I see what you mean about the Barnums - photos seem to me to show them a fairly even shade all over. Incidentally I picked up on another forum a comment from someone about the old Triang Clerestory coaches being a fairly good match for GC London extension coaches. I've found a couple of drawings and will have a good look at that. The bogies would be the only major thing and Perseverance list those.

How are you fixed for J12 photos? I have the 'Locos Illustrated' for the GC 0-6-0s which I'm sure must cover them as well as a few other GC books.

I recently received a price list from Peter K (I wasn't sure if he was still in production) listing some ECJS stock so I may well go that route for mine. He also lists some Kemilway kits for LNER and GNR prototypes as well as a number of unusual pre-grouping NPCs and the TPOs we discussed last year.
rob

Post by rob »

Morgan the M1 is a great choice,I look forward to seeing your progress,that would certainly appeal to me as a prototype-won't be seeing it in RTR anytime soon I guess!The A2 is probably my next loco project but I have 6 to get through the paintshop first (I built a brace of Nu-Cast J15's too)and I have(finally) begun work on the loft to allow a start on the layout soon,previous one was sold some time ago and I'm anxious to get running again so I don't have a start date in mind for the loco.Looking forward to it though!I've obtained "City of Kingston upon Hull" plates for it too -a name as long as the loco seemed appropriate.
Jonathan,good point on the Barnum photos,at one point I even wondered might they be mahogany,not teak.Three factors contributed to the error-I have somewhere a photo of a surviving Barnum under restoration and it does look very like restored Gresleys in colour ;I was assuming that the narrower planks showed less grain;and I have noticed that Doncaster officials show Gresleys as almost black at times,while of all the works,Dukinfield show the grain best-I decided to believe the GCR works photos were also too dark!I may just paint the roofs even darker and blame years of hard usage!But I am kicking myself a bit.......
On the Tri-angs,Peter Denney used them,so thats proof enough!However I have an old RM which shows a method of converting the Ratio MR clerestories or suburbans- they are cheap,easy and reasonably convincing.Hard to get the bogies now though-I have been unable to trace those Puffers GCR ones for years.And Peter K is still in production?I would appreciate contact details-I have 2 TPO's from Bill B but need to know a lot more about this area before I try to build anything-the TPO's are on the very longterm list,and I have no idea of how they were used in traffic.I'd love to see what obscurities Peter K has available,esp ECJS.
I was lucky enough to get that Locos Illustrated 2nd hand before I started,thanks though-it repeats them from the RCTS in LNER times,so I'm assuming photos are rare.I love that shot of 5971 and 6425 nose to nose at Trafford Park,really atmospheric!As for livery Morgan,it will have to be black with no's on the tender,which will be tricky with the small,close rivets.I know they'll look best in primer,and often leave locos like that for weeks before I pick up courage to ruin them with a livery!