In need of LNER heavy freight fast

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

My Farish 8F conked out. One day it worked, then a couple of days later I went to run it, after arriving Mallard and a rake in to the station, I was running the 8F round on the other track, and it didn't go. Even Coldstreamer couldn't shift it (lack of grip with the fly wheel!)
I got it going, but only very....very....very slowly even at full whack (the speed that derails the engines on the corners).
It's not an easy one to get apart, and the last screw (the front one that holds the front bogey in and the body on, is very difficult to relocate.
Anyway on getting it apart, the bottom spring on the motor was flashing at the flat out speed when it went very slowly. So I gingerly took the other screw out, and took the top off the motor out, and the bottom spring, I stretched the spring a smidging, then put it back together for a test run on 4 axles, a sort of 0-8-0 and it flew round, and at one point derailed and crashed in to the side of it's wagons.
Just a bit odd when it hasn't done anything that it did this. But then I woke up Saturday with not much voice, after just sleeping. and still now it's not fully back!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: In need of LNER heavy freight fast

Post by Bullhead »

Tom Quayle wrote:Does anyone know where I can get hold of a J27?
Dave Bradwell produces an exceptional J27 kit, although this picture doesn't really do it justice - Image

I have one myself. The kit is capable of depicting any of the many detail variations which appeared on the J27s during their working lives, and, if I remember correctly, includes a representation of inside valve gear (not fitted on mine as this is 16.5mm gauge). Dave also produces a K1 and a WD of the same high standard, as well as a range of other very useful castings and etchings. His pages on the Scalefour site at http://www.scalefour.org/bradwell/ are well worth a look.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
northeastern
NER Y7 0-4-0T

J27 Availability

Post by northeastern »

Dave Alexander does a very nice white metal kit of a J27. I think that the Alexander kit is likely to be a lot easier to construct than a Bradwell kit. I have a Bradwell K1 kit waiting to be build and it's a bit daunting.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: J27 Availability

Post by Bullhead »

northeastern wrote:Dave Alexander does a very nice white metal kit of a J27. I think that the Alexander kit is likely to be a lot easier to construct than a Bradwell kit. I have a Bradwell K1 kit waiting to be build and it's a bit daunting.
I agree. I took the coward's way out and got someone else to build it for me - and he found it challenging, although the end result was very pleasing.

I really do fancy the K1 and am very tempted to buy one and, again, get someone like http://www.steamline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page2.html to build it for me. It's expensive and takes time (I am about to take delivery of a D49 which has taken more than 2 years), but is worth every penny. No doubt it would be ready for delivery a week after the announcement that Bachmann or Hornby are about to produce a ready-to-run version for £70!
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
cig1705
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by cig1705 »

I did consider the Bradwell one, but it, being brass, looked to be a bit beyond my skills and my budget. I now have an Alexander Models one (yet to be built, though!) from Mainly Trains. The AM kit is very nicely cast, and doesn't look too hard. Like the Bradwell kit, it offers various permutations - superheated or saturated boiler, NER or LNER smokebox door, variations on the chimney and dome etc. It doesn't include inside motion, though (although I'll have to check that). Being an inside cylinder 0-6-0, with little additional work (i.e. fabricating things yourself), it looks to be quite a good kit.

Presumably the Q6, K4, J38, J39 and suchlike are of much the same quality!

I really should start a new thread...

Ralph
Slowly building a J27...