D&S Models 4mm/1ft LNER Dynamometer Car - Special Re-Release

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: D&S Models 4mm/1ft LNER Dynamometer Car - Special Re-Rel

Post by jwealleans »

Danny's current (and final) batch were £75 each. So Ebay was cheaper -but why would you want 3? I'm sure he'd have made more selling them separately.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good afternoon all
I looked at the Ebay item and two kits were in one box and a single in the second box.
If they were mine, I would build one myself and sell the other two in boxes.
Ealswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not the same ones, unless they've been drawing extra red lines on the boxes. Wonder if someone saw the others and decided to cash in?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

My one has arrived today. looks like it will be a nice build.

No idea re ebay listing :D
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

mick b wrote:My one has arrived today. looks like it will be a nice build.
I am still waiting for my letter :(
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mike
I suggest you phone him !!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Golden Age Models are doing a lined version stating aka 1938

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/LNER-Coa ... llery.html
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For my tastes that representation of teak, whether it is meant to be real or mock, is too red plus the graining too bold, coarse and unconvincing.

I cannot give details, but a draft review of Golden Age 00 coaches that I was allowed to see was so scathing regarding errors of detail and their on-track (or frequently off-track) performance that it was judged best not to publish it. I can see immediately on looking at the pictures (especially the ones published in RM) that the Gresley teak coaches for instance have the wrong shape of curve at the tops of their ends, and the gangway connectors do not come up as they should to the level of the dropped dome ends of the roof. Hand-built in metal and blessed with a very good quality of paint application they may be, but would one expect to find faults of that sort in such expensive items?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have also seen some Golden Age LNER coaches - photographed, not in the brass - and was highly unimpressed. These were blood and custard ones and they had a great deal wrong with them. Looking at the website - while I agree it may be the quality of the photos - if you'd shown me those and asked me whose they were I'd probably have guessed PC Models. Gaudy colours and no relief. I note that there are no images of the blood and custard ones at all.

I will be taking an interest in their stand at York - not because I'm a potential customer, but I really do want to see some of these for real to check how accurate my impression of them is.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:For my tastes that representation of teak, whether it is meant to be real or mock, is too red plus the graining too bold, coarse and unconvincing.

I cannot give details, but a draft review of Golden Age 00 coaches that I was allowed to see was so scathing regarding errors of detail and their on-track (or frequently off-track) performance that it was judged best not to publish it. I can see immediately on looking at the pictures that the Gresley teak coaches for instance have the wrong shape of curve at the tops of their ends, and the gangway connectors do not come up as they should to the level of the dropped dome ends of the roof. Hand-built in metal and blessed with a very good quality of paint application they may be, but would one expect to find faults of that sort in such expensive items?

Hornby has been churning out expensive, inaccurate products for quite some time now - maybe they had the same design team working for the Golden Age suppliers as Hornby?

Was not impressed by the U1/W1 alleged pages - no pictures of the items, but a generic V2 picture will suffice for potential customers?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Bit of a sweeping statement that about Hornby, I know from my involvement with Hornby that view is undeserved and within the constraints of cost and production Hornby try very hard. You just need too look at the Gresley and Thompson subs to see the quality of their commitment now.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

[/quote]
Was not impressed by the U1/W1 alleged pages - no pictures of the items, but a generic V2 picture will suffice for potential customers?

No idea what Loco you are talking about ???
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re Golden Age please dont think I was praising the model , the link was posted simply as a reference to the lining out position of the Dyno Car in pre war condition.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/LNER-Loc ... Gauge.html

This is the page I was referring to previously.

As for my other comment, that is based on not only my own observations of pricing and finish, but also other peoples more 'informed' observations and statements.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.