painting Teak

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

painting Teak

Post by Frazmataz »

anyone got any useful tips of painting teak coaches realistically? any general info would be good, pointing towards a site would be even better :)
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Try here
http://www.brmodelling.co.uk/forum/view ... teak#11951

Theres also a thread that I started on here
viewtopic.php?t=289&highlight=

Hope these help

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Let us know how you get on as well - I know this is something I'll have to do when the NGS release their Full Brake kit. (N Gauge)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Karl: Thanks :)

Richard: I'll probably document any efforts using my YouTube account (account name BassTrebleEXE), but don't expect fantastic work from me, being a 16 year old novice :P
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Richard, having spoken to a fellow on the N gauge stand at the York show I was left with the impression that the Full Break kit would come with optional pre printed sides, removing the need to paint them. If this is the case it would solve a few problems - however, it would be interesting to see if the printed effect matches the Dapol offerings (once they appear!).

I've had some success 'painting' my Dapol (and some Minitrix coaches) teak which have made a couple of appearances in my scratch built K3 thread. My method is to use a very thinned teak paint, load up a ooo size brush and draw the brush along each panel of the coach, which has been pre painted gloss yellow. This leaves an uneven coat of paint over the yellow which looks like grained panel in n gauge. My only problem now is lining and lettering the coaches. Does anyone have any tips for lining the panels on an n gauge Gresley?
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thank would be good if they do - and it would explain the expected price. The deposit alone was GBP10! Also a lot of the NGS kits have special decals available, or even come with them (eg. the Yvonne Shillabeer Memorial Kit).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

i've teaked a few coaches. I find the best way is like Atso says, to paint a base and then load up a brush to draw in the paneling. I used the Phoenix precision paints with the teak base and weathered teak top coat, and dry brushing the grain.

I'm afraid, nee ashamed to admit that i have run chicken from having done the lining and i'm modeling in OO.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway