For anyone who works in DCC....

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

For anyone who works in DCC....

Post by Frazmataz »

I have recently obtained one of the Bachmann 'starter locomotives' (the one that comes from the US thomas mould) which is DCC ready. When I run it on my 12v DC supply, it will only move when the controller dial is near the highest speed setting. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon when using DCC locos on DC supply? Does anyone know how to cure it?

additionally, does anyone know how to separate the chassis and body of the loco in question? :lol:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't know the locomotive in question, so can't help with the separation.

A lot of DCC modules have a function setting that determines the DC behaviour - typically a simple on/off. Although I'm sure this should have a standard default, I know one of my SD90MAC43s (with Digitrax drop-in modules) works fine on DC and the other does not! I haven't bothered to reset the function settings, as I run these together on DCC.

It would not surprise me if some DCC modules are clever enough to use their internal speed tables for DC speed control (eg. like some still operate the lights when on DC). Check the manual for the module - or find out what the module is, so you can obtain the manual.

Richard
Last edited by richard on Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Thanks for the suggestions :) I've just figured out how to dismantle the locomotive, and I now see that the red wire to the pickups has come away from the pickup rails in the chassis. Therefore I can assume the strange behaviour before was down to bad electrical contact. I'll resolder the wire back and then run it on my test track again :)