General "N" gauge enquiry

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

General "N" gauge enquiry

Post by John B »

Could someone tell me a little about "N" gauge steam era modelling.

I have very little floor space and "N" gauge may just answer that problem though I have concerns both about the availability of suitable engines for a BR NE region branchline and of the quality of the models at this small scale.

I see from Heritage Railway magazine that Dapol have introduced a range of Gresley maroon coaching stock in "N" and they look good in the photographs but I have no idea what locos are available for an early 1950's non diesel period. Of course the Gresley coaches would probably not have been used on a country branch line either, so what suitable coaches are available that would have appeared there?

Is there a onestop shop for the full range of "N" gauge models, track, transformers etc?

Could someone please point me in right direction?
John B
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

LNER/ERegion coaches

Post by TonyM »

The short answer is there aren`t any. Graham Farish used to make a teak and maroon suburban to no particular diagram. They were the same body painted different colours but Bachman/Farish are not making teaks but are making a maroon eastern region sub but, to my knowledge, unless you can get some from EBay, no-one else is. So ,unfortunately, you are on a loosing wicket sorry
Tony
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

You could join the NGauge Society or there is a company called N Gauge Lines who have a website www.ngaugelines.co.uk I think

Good Luck You should try buying bits from New Zealand not easy

Tony
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Hey John I have just seen that you are from NZ too where abouts maybe I can help.
Cheers Tony M
paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by paperman »

Hi John, for rolling stock look at the websites of Graham Farish & Dapol. Not much is suitable, but I'm sure some will be. The Gresleys are in maroon, so I guess some would have cascaded to the branches in the sixties.
For track, most people use Peco.

The N Gauge society website is most usefull too.

Jeff
Jeff
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Thanks guys, all that info is very useful.

Tony, I am based in Auckland and am rostered, in season, on the footplate at the Glenbrook Vintage Railway.

Cheers

John
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Gresleys are meant to be released in teak "real soon now" and then blood & custard at the end of the year.

Union Mills is worth looking at - small batch production and only sells direct, but in the past he has produced a J25 and J26. His D20 is due for re-release (with new tooling) at the end of this year. You might want a few of those :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Hello Richard

The teaks have definitely been canned and so have the blood and custards it is not a rumour ........and its all our fault according to Dave Jones at Dapol. He says we wanted Maroon, so that is what they have made by the thousand and they are not selling. Hattons and Signal Box, to name but 2, selling them for less than cost or not as the case may be.
I have been trying to get enough guys together for a limited edition run, which has been offered by Dave but Dapol will only make a minimum of 250 of each coach that I/we select. I would need 2 brake/thirds with different running numbers, 2 different composites with different running numbers and the buffet, which would/could be up to 7 or 8 different coaches I had to give up.

Tony M
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

(not to hijack the thread :-) )

I don't think different running numbers are such a big deal - only when the numbers are really obvious (eg. the Bombardier cars that I have which have large numbers on the roofs for aerial identification!).

They have, what, four types? 250 of each? So 1000 coaches we'd have to "sell". About 100 rakes hmm. With the forums here and the ngauge listserver, then we could probably find a few dozen but I think 100 would be pushing it. We couldn't bankroll it either - we'd only be able to put up money for our own personal requirements.
Perhaps we should push for a US style pre-order system. Dapol could probably then reach a wider audience of interested people.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Back to the original query re. NE locomotives...

I've just received my B12/3 (yes, ex-GER).
In the accompanying list, as of 30th May, Union Mills currently has J25s, J26s, and J39s in stock in both LNER and BR black liveries.

Other LNER engines listed are the J38 ("Scottish" J39), J11 - both in LNER or BR black. The B12/3 is only listed as BR Black, but he had green ones when I ordered mine last Tuesday.

For the record, listed non-LNER engines are the 7F (BR only), and the 3F and G2 (LMS or BR).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia