Much doodling at Earlswood

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by roverman »

Thanks for the update Earlswood. I've recently discovered a thin mix superglue which I'll trickle behind my peeling side. Boyes (almost the new Woolworths) do two types of professional quality superglue -in virtually the same packaging- at a bargain price plus other modelling stuff such as Humbrol and Games Workshop. Don't know if they are a national chain or not.
Be interesting if you find some relevant transfers, all I could find were the HRMS ones I already mentioned, with their attendant issues for my skills! I'm OK with the wagon lettering they supply but struggled with the lining on the pullmans.
I have a couple of Ratio coaches on the go and these get a bit more attention than the Pullmans. I think I'll stick to goods wagon kits in the future!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Boyes I believe are only a Northern phenomenon, (North of The Wash as far as I can tell at any rate) and when I last checked were no longer stocking my favourite, cheap, runny superglue, but had switched to a much dearer alternative. I found runny cyanoacrylate at something like the old Boyes price in my local Screwfix - No Nonsense Superglue, 20g size.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

This is the first I've heard of Boyes. Poundland do a superglue, but I've never tried it.

I have an old bow pen for drawing straight lines, but I'm not very good with it. I think I bought it from Model Railways at Kings Cross, which gives an indication of how old it is. I have been experimenting with using acrylic paint with added flow improver. However, I cannot yet match my feeble efforts with enamel paint and lighter fuel.

I, also, have a rake of Ratio M.R. carriages for a couple of L&Y locos that I've built.

I believe that Nucast Partners will supply individual parts from their re-issued kits. This would give me the long smokebox (J6) for the C2 mentioned above.

Now to attempt to convert a SEF GS3500gal tender into the later high front type, as fitted to the K4 and V4. Loch Long had the same tender as the J39/1 & J38, but the rest of the K4's had the newer version. The difficult bit will be the longer top to the sidesheets.

Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Having moved the McGowan C4 and D9 back into the roundtuit cupboard. I have started building a SEF rebuilt W1.

I was diverted by the failure of an old Kays O4, which I built over 50 years ago. It was powered by the original Kays Mk1 motor and was a good hauler, albeit with a high current consumption. I made a scratch chassis and used a Mashima 1624 with High Level 54:1 gearing.

I was impressed with it's haulage powers, and built a test track along my hall (the joys of living alone). The rebuilt O4 can just about manage 29 carriages on the straight and level.

I also rebuilt an old Wills A4 from c1975, which ran with a rewheeled Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis. I used a Comet chassis for both the engine and tender. The powerplant was a Mashima 1830 with 45:1 gearing. As I expected the haulage was fantastic, at it managed 33 carriages with slight spinning, and spun to a stop with 34.

Neither of these two locomotives had any extra weight added.

I am wondering how much my DJH U1 will handle with two Mashima 1624s and 80:1 gearing. It has lead added to the sidetanks and boiler. The extra weight in the boiler led to a slight bowing of the central footplate, so it has been put aside until I get around making some brass strip to reinforce the footplate.

The joys of retirement, which was the best career move that I ever made.

Malcolm (Earlswood Nob)
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Hi Malcolm

One of my daughters bought me a tee-shirt - Eat Sleep Model Railway Repeat. Seems a good motto - (perhaps with the addition of drink?) At least my greatgrandson thinks so - will have to buy him a shirt too I suppose!

Doodling seems rather a weak word for the works you have in mind. Good Luck.

Ray
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hi all Gresley fans, and a few Robinson one's,

I did a little work on the D9 over the weekend. I managed to get the chassis/superstructure to balance with the addition of 70g to the firebox and between the frames.

I have used a Mashima 1024 which sits between the frames. Sadly, the Mashima 1420/24/28 etc will not fit between the wheels. I am wondering if the 1024 is powerful enough for the D10 and D11.

I notice that Isinglass models do the Leeds Quint Diner (I do love articulated carriages). Jonathan W produced the RDEB kit some time ago. I was wondering what sort of t he bogies the Quint had?

Malcolm
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hello,
Dad used to fit Mashima 1024s to just about anything they would fit into. He built a D10 and D11 using the same motor/gearbox/wheels combination for both. They were the Little Engines kits, and did need quite a bit of work to clean up the castings. He also used the same combination in the C4 he built.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Malcolm,

I can’t honestly remember what the bogies on the Quint were. I’d assume heavy duty. I’m getting the Grantham stock out this weekend to prepare for Fareham, so I’ll have a look.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Thanks Manxman for the info. I agree that the 1024 is a very good motor. Luckily I bought several when it was announced that Mashima was ceasing production. Using the 1024 in the D10 & D11 would make balancing easier. I have used the 1424 in my C4 chassis (Chopped Comet B17).

Thanks also to JW and I'm hoping to see Grantham at Fareham. There used to be direct trains from a local station, but now one has to change at Gatwick.

Best wishes to all

Earlswood Nob (Malcolm)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morining all

The C4 is creeping along. The latest hic-cup is that the handrail knob holes are far too big. I have bushed the Gibson handrail knobs with a very short length of copper tubing. This requires the receptive hole to be enlarged slightly.

The one plus point is that the SEF A4 (Capercaillie) is coming along well. The model will handle 33 coaches (33 wagons weighted to 45g each) without spinning. It is lighter than an equivalent Hornby item, but does have a Mashima 1830 driivng through a 45:1 gearbox. An addition of lead will make it really powerful.

Best wishes to everyone.

Malcolm
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
C4_1crop1.jpg
The C4 had a wavy footplate, so I straightened it by clamping the footplate to a metal ruler.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning again

Now that I've sorted out my ancient digital camera, here's the cab sides, one in original condition and the other with new handrails.
C4_2crop01.jpg
I used Gibson shoulderless handrail knobs.

Malcolm (Earlswood Nob)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

The C4 is hiccuping along, as there is so many imperfections that need attention. I tend to get bored when I start working on it, and put it back in the box.

I am tempted to built the GCR 0-10-2T nevawassa. I have a spare B2 kit that I bought as part of the lot that contained the C4 kit. The smokebox will need shortening, and plasticard sidetanks and bunker added to a brass footplate.

My Lickey 0-10-0 banker (shh...) will go through 3ft radius points without derailing, after hinging the rods to allow sideplay. This indicates that the nevawassa should be OK as it has slightly shorter wheelbase.

AGW do suitable wheels, and High Level produce a Loadhauler Plus gearbox, which would allow use of a large Mashima motor.

This time, I am going to collect all the parts before I start. Hopefully I can then breeze through the construction and not get bored.

I had planned to visit a model shop today to buy the brass strip for the project, but it's thick fog here, so that is postponed until later in the week.

Malcolm (Earlswood Nob)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Modelling is slow as I'm preparing for a house move.

The C4 has stalled, as often happens with my modelling. The GCR 0-10-2T chassis is running and will negotiate points OK, as I've allowed for plenty of sideplay.

I have found a half built Millholme ex-GCR B5, in my roundtuit cupboard, which only needs a motor and gearbox, which would be useful as I've built several fish vans of late.

When I find some time for photography, I'll take some pics.

Malcolm (Earlswood nob)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

At the age of 78, I have decided to venture into the world of etched kits, and purchased a Judith Edge J63 (I like dock tanks).

I was surprised to discover that a Mashima 1024 will fit with a High Level gearbox. If I can get some lead into it, probably tanks and bunker, it should be quite interesting. I will use a High Level Loadhauler Compact 108:1, which has the same profile as the Road Runner Plus suggested in the instructions.

Sadly, my digital camera is not working and my phone is so antiquated that it doesn't take proper pics, so it will be a wait before I can show my progress (or lack of it).

Merry christmas to all modellers.

Malcolm (Earlswood Nob)