Much doodling at Earlswood

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by jwealleans »

If you cut the beaded panels from 5 thou plastic (or paper, which is about 7 thou) and stick them on, then stick the beading round them, you lose part of the undercut on the wire and it makes it look more like the prototypical half round shape.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

WOW
What a tip! Thanks a lot, and I haven't even finshed my tea-break.

5thou is about 0.125mm (if my mental arithmetic is correct). That would take away all undercurve. The one possible problem is that I might not have 5 thou plasticard in my box. still its a nice day for a trip to the modelshop.
Earlswood Nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

So what are these coaches, Thompsleys or Greslson's, I can't make up my mind :?

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
With crossbreeds in the animal kingdom, the male part comes first. Hence, a male lion and female tiget produce a liger, and a male tiger and female lion produce a Tigon.
Also, Gresley could never be anything but the leading part, so they may be called Gresson's carriages.
They may also be called Ivatt's.
Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ivatts? Not Howldens then?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
I'm not sure of the designer as I don't know the dates of Howlden at the GNR.
I was in a rush earlier as I wanted to do some shopping and get back home before the postman arrived as I'm expecting a book on LNER carriages, and wanted to be at home to receive it. These days, if the postman takes anything back to the office as undelivered, I have to wait until the next day before I can collect it as he gets back to the office after the callers office has closed.
It's a ridiculous situation, and don't miss anything on a friday as the callers office closes at 10am, and you can't get the item until monday.
What is even more ridiculous is that; I was chatting to a neighbour, who is a postie, and he tells me that they are under instructions not to speak to members of the public whilst they are out on delivery. I wondered if that applies to my g/f's father who makes his postie a cup of tea every morning.
End of rant
Earlswood nob
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Most public service operatives seem to be under instructions not to speak to anyone in case they offend them in some way, but you can't do your job in that sort of environment - since you have to talk to the public to find out what they want.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all
I was pleased that a copy of Tatlows Historic Carriage drawings vol 3 arrived today, as did the Cleminson chassis from Brassmasters.
I can muck about with plastic coaches while I watch cricket on TV.
There is a drawing in the book of a NER 6 wheel van that matches closely to the two Clerestory brake ends that I glued together recently.
It will need a different roof and vertical ends.
nervan01.jpg
I am itching to try the Cleminson chassis, but that will have to wait until the cricket is over for the day.
Atlantic was right, my carriage project is to produce a Howlden diagram, but I wasn't sure when he retired. It will be continued when I hit a stumbling block with the NER van.
The book includes some great horsebox designs, so I might have to attempt one if the test match lasts more than three days.
Horseboxes must have travelled everywhere as trainer/race meetings didn't follow the big four areas.
Earlswood nob
Attachments
nervan01.jpg
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

From my own (and my dad's) experience with model forms of the Cleminson arrangement, the words of my grandfather ring true - "they don't so much go around corners, as skid around them". I look forward to seeing how you get on.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all
I managed to solder up the Cleminson chassis before the cricket started. The chassis went together well and is etched from thin brass and I put fillets of solder along each join for strength.
nervancrop02.jpg
The chassis runs ok when pushed through pointwork, but seems to be better if a thin strip of brass is inserted between the middle W iron bracket and the central frame. This probably adds slight pressure onto the middle axle.
nervancrop04.jpg
Now to spend the afternoon modifying the van body .
Earlswood nob
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Earlswood
earlswood nob wrote: neighbour, who is a postie, and he tells me that they are under instructions not to speak to members of the public whilst they are out on delivery.
Typical of the stupidity of the management in that organisation. We were told we could say 'Good morning' but that was all. RULES ARE THERE TO BE BROKEN!!! I was another who could not get back with my undelivereds before the office closed. On a regular round I established relationships whereby items could be hidden or left next door. I know that started officially a few months ago, I started doing it about 25 yrs ago!!

I'm not 'alf pleased I retired earlier in the year.

:wink:
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G’day all
Progress is slow on all my railway projects as I always seem to be waiting for bits to arrive.
The NER van has stalled, until I get some axleboxes and springs.
The Brassmasters Cleminson chassis is quite impressive, I have an itching to build something else with this arrangement.
I made the roof of the NER van by cutting a section from a soft drink can, placing a piece of plasticard between a complete soft drink can and the section, which I held in place with elastic bands, the filling the complete can with hot water, leaving for 30 sec and then replace with cold water.
nervancrop05.jpg
I wish all suppliers were as good as: Alan Gibson, Mainly Trains, and South Eastern Finecast, to quote the best I’ve found, their stuff seems to arrive before you ordered it.
A parcel from East Kent models has arrived very quickly, so I’ve got some more bodies to chop around. It’s a pity about the wait for bogies.
Earlswood Nob
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

just to give proper dating

1850-1858 John Coffin came from the GWR and was actually superintendent although much is suggested that Sturrock was, somewhat vague at the beginning. Died in London whilst looking
for teak supplies. Trained coachbuilder
1858-1876 John Griffith came from the L&Y was a trained coachbuilder not much known about him before GNR, and the L&Y society know little either.
1877-1905 E.Frankie Howlden started with the GNR in 1853 when the works opened in Doncaster,
as an apprentice. Moved through the ranks and became Foreman, was famously mentioned as a worker who had lost his tools during the first Doncaster Carriage Works fire in the 1860's and was given a payout. Was also a trained coachbuilder. was Griffiths assistant, and with Griffiths devised what we call the Howlden roof, but it was actually introduced around 1873, ie before Howlden became Superintendent. Retired at 65, having spent 52 years with the same company, how about that for loyalty?

Note, before Gresley, all GNR Carriage and Wagon Superintendents were trained Coachbuilders, whereas HNG only served one year in the C&W department at the L&Y before joining the GNR.

HTH
Paul
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin’ all
The box of goodies that arrived yesterday from East Kent Models has given me plenty of plastic cut and join fun to do.
I am enjoying mucking about with plastic RTR models for I can do it whilst watching sport.
Today, I have been watching The Open Golf Championship, and the cricket from Lords, except for the afternoon, when I was watching the gold and Tour de France on the Alpe-d’Heze on TV and listening to the cricket on the radio.
Who said men can’t multi-task?
However, modelling is slow, and I decided to build a model of the ex-NER long-boiler, double-domed loco.
I first chopped two short boiler locos, removing the cab from one, and the smokebox from the other.
lner_crop7.jpg
The two halves were then trimmed and glued together.
lner_crop8.jpg
I should avoid waiting for bits with this project as I have a suitable scratch built chassis waiting for it.
Earlswood nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Is it a Dromedary, or Bactrian, but as to a class, I'm lost :?: :?

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.