Much doodling at Earlswood

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
I’ve been very busy of late as while doing some genealogical research for somebody else, I found references to my own ancestors, so now I’m busy chasing my own family.
The D7 is progressing slowly as I don’t have a drawing and all measurements are guesses. I make something and if it fits and looks right its OK, if not I have another go and make it again, and so on.
However, I’ve started yet another loco. This loco is going to a simple loco with a straight footplate, so should not be difficult to build.
I have started by soldering strips of brass to make the footplate outline. The footplate is 118mm long.
LNER_crop1.jpg
The boiler assembly should be ready to fit tomorrow, and you might get a better idea as to what it is then.
Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
Had a good morning, even if I was feeling delicate, but Green Tea and a long walk straightened me up.
I finished the basic boiler, its 22mm tubing wrapped with two layers of 0.5mm plasticard, with an additional two layers for the smokebox.
The boiler is merely balanced on the footplate.
LNER_crop2.jpg
Now its out with the filler to blend in the valve chests to the smokebox. I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to which class it is, before I build the cab.
Earlswood Nob
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Wasn't there a tiny mention in your recent thread ?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I shall remain silent (as I feel our previous private discussions provide me with too big a clue), save to point out that your quoted boiler dimensions rule out a Q4........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

J27? But the boiler's too fat (or is that a 3" allowance for cladding?).

auldreekie
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
Not much has happened as I started running out of materials and had to visit the model shop in the great Wen for more. I also managed to find some small strip plasticard to produce the beading on the tender top etc.
I started the tender and made the side sheets, and glued triangular strip to the body to make the flare.
LNER_crop3.jpg
The tender chassis posed another problem as it’s not a size produced by Comet, so I had to build one from brass strip.
LNER_crop4.jpg
I should have a more productive time tomorrow morning and hope to make the loco chassis and cab.
It is not a J26/7, but does have a J26 type chimney.
Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
I was able to get some work done this morning. I built the chassis for the loco. Usual method solder two brass strips together and drill the axle holes and shape the frames. Then split the strips and use Comet jigs to line up the chassis and solder spacers between the frames. I “borrowed” some wheels from another of my projects fit temporarily.
LNER_crop5.jpg
A bit of time was spent on the superstructure, as I had to make a new valve chest as the previous one was incorrectly glued to the bottom of the smokebox.
I also started building the cab and once the correct shape is obtained, the windows etc with be cut out.
LNER_crop6.jpg
I am now going to spend an hour trimming flanges on some old Romford drivers.
Earlswood Nob
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

A Stirling Engine?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Q1 / Q2 or H&BR Q10
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Reboilered Q10 (H and B R Class A) looks possible...
(Unless you're considering the "two-tubes and plate/infill" dodge to build a belpaire firebox on to the boiler tube.)

auldreekie
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Second Auld Reekie's deduction.- a reboilered Springhead "Tiny". Should be quite an unusual and imposing beast.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
It is the rebuilt Q10 with the roundtopped/domed boiler.
I was bemoaning the fact that my Nucast Q6 is too short and wondering what I could do with it. I thought of a Q5/2 with the ex-Q10 boiler. On reading the Q10 passage in the Green Book, and found they were rebuilt with roundtopped boilers and when replaced by O4's on the H&B line, some finished their days at Mexborough. I wouldn't be surprised if they were used for banking on the Worsborough incline as many locos were pressed into service on that duty at the end of their lives. That is the general sort of area I model (with allowances for Gresley locos, now was a P1 ever used over Woodhead?).
I shall be busy today so the only objective is brake gear.
Thanks for the interest.
Earlswood Nob
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

That WILL be something to look forward to, not least because so unusual...

auldreekie
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Have you found the previous builds on here?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hello JW
I have just looked through and found Rob's workbench and a Zenith kit Q10. I didn't even realise that a kit had been produced.
It was interesting to notice that you remarked that you have a Raven A2 to build. Have you built it yet? I too have one in the cupboard, which will get built sometime. I have so many kits to build, and I'm getting a taste for trying to scratchbuild the unusual.
I must get out and do some work, for there's no modelling today as I've cut a finger (on a foil sachet of seasoning, would you believe). What will happen when I shave??
Earlswood Nob