Much doodling at Earlswood

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Much doodling at Earlswood

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I have been diverted by building some L&Y dirty coal locos.

I am currently concentrating on carriage and wagon building.

I have started constructing a Coronation set from old Triang Thompson coaches.

It is tedious as some sides take up to sixteen sections.

(the pic is too large to publish)

As a diversion, I have just started converting some Hornby Railroad Pullmans into QoS stock using Comet sides.
Pullman_kit01.jpg
I did paint the seating, but will probably replace the interiors with new built from Southern Pride items.

The Railroad bogies are incorrect, but these can be replaced by new from Keen Systems.

I am tempted to fit the Keen close coupling system.

Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Still sunny in Surrey

I have just costed building a QoS rake from Hornby Railroad Pullmans

Original bodies (approx £10 each pre-used) £80
Comet sides £88
Seating from Southern Pride £58
Keen System upgrades £100
(Close coupling, Floating end plates, correct bogies,etc)
Gibson wheels £48
Fox transfers £85

Giving a total of £459

It seems expensive, but I'd get a great deal of pleasure from producing them.

Earlswood Nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Sunday morning projects continue:

I have finished the first stage of the "Queen of Scots" project:
Pullma_crop2.jpg
The cars are (from top):
Brake 3rd Parlour
3rd Kitchen
3rd Parlour
1st Kitchen
1st Parlout

There are three more 3rd class cars, the same as the top three.

I am now waiting for seating from Southern Pride and upgrade parts from Keen Systems, so will concentrate on my "Hush-Hush" loco which hauled the train in 1930.

Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The finished train will be interesting to see.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

What is wrong with the superb Type K Pullmans released by Hornby ? .
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

I admit the latest Hornby Type K pullmans are very good.

However, I am converting old Railroad Pullmans.

Different people get their pleasure from Model Railway in different ways.

Some get their pleasure from buying expensive models.

Others get their pleasure by commissioning people to build models for them.

I get pleasure from building kits, and converting models.

Some will only scratch build everything.

I enjoy looking at a model and saying to myself; "I built that".

Malcolm
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Can only agree.
Well done.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

ok , just wondered.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

There are a couple of things about the Hornby K-types that I would need to alter to produce a rake in pre-war condition.

AFAIK Pullman cars did not have curtains until after WWII. They were fitted with window blinds.

The guards door window was oval until 1938-9, when it was changed to rectangular.

This forum has given me a thirst for accuracy, which increases my enjoyment of the hobby.

Malcolm
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Sunny morning (now) in Surrey

After a while spent building wagons and carriages, I've decided to build a couple of locos.

I chose a couple of McGowan kits; C4 AND D9 which have resided on my roundtuit shelf for a long time.

They're HORRIFIC; it will be possible to get some sort of model for the body kits, but the tenders will be impossible to get to any sort of decent model.

At least the boilers are round, so one has to be thankful for small mercies.

I will post some pics when I make some progress.

Earlswood Nob

PS The Pullmans are still unpainted as both my airbrush and compressor have failed after too many visits to the floor
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Good to hear from you!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from sunny Surrey

The idea of constructing the McGowan C4 and D9, has been shelved alongside the McGowan B4 on the rounduit shelf.

I have started a K4, not the kit which I failed to buy before Dave Alexander passed away.

My K4 is being built from an old Wills K3. I had a spare SEF K3 chassis from a job lot I bought at auction, some years ago. I have fitted the chassis with 20mm drivers and a Mashima 1424 driving through a High Level gearbox. The boiler is from a SEF J39, soldered to a spare firebox end, which I had left over from an O4 conversion. A J39 spectacle plate is used for the front of the cab. All that remains is modification of the smokebox saddle/ steam pipes. The cab is too short, and should be the same as the last batch of K3's (slightly longer).

The next idea is a C2 built from an old K's C1, with the boiler from a NuCast Q1. The smokebox is too short for most of the C2's, but one did run with a short smokebox until withdrawal. This will leave a C1 boiler spare, which could be used to convert the Q1 remains into a Q3.

When I get my old digital camera sorted I will provide some pics.

Earlswood Nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's always more interesting to try something that the makers of the parts did NOT intend!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by roverman »

Very interested in the Comet/Hornby Pullmans you are constructing. I've got two on my "why on earth did I start this" shelf. They are painted but I stalled with the transfers. HMRS Lining transfers have been used but I find them difficult to apply as they flex making straight lines quite a challenge for me at my skill level. As they are both 2nd class the interiors have been "adapted" from the Hornby brake coach seating as this fits the window spacing. I altered the roof on one to conform to the Comet drawing which incidentally did not show the position of the water fillers so this was a bit of guesswork and help from this forum. The ribbing was redone with plasticard strip and cast vents fitted, again according to the Comet drawing.
I eventually used superglue to fix the sides, this seemed to be the best of the conflicting advice from the net. One side is now coming unstuck! Regarding the paint I eventually used an automotive etch primer which stuck OK, again after wildly differing advice from the net. Colours came from Railmatch.
I've got Keen bogies to fit but then I started to tally up the costs involved and concluded they were going to be more than about 50 notes each to finish, and even then not be a match for the new Hornby items.
I hear what folks are saying about modelling satisfaction etc but the lesson I've learned from this stalled conversion is to choose your project carefully and expect to overspend! This is not a criticism of any of the suppliers or of the folks who spend time offering their experience for free on the net, me being a bit of a lurker hoovering up other people's knowledge!
The appropriate "Pullman Profile" book was quite helpful.
Anyway, Malcom please keep us (me especially!) updated with your Pullman builds, seeing the quality of your other projects I'm sure they'll inspire me to get my pair finished!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Before I started on the pullmans, I bought the book entitled Steel K-types.
I have made the interiors using seats and tables from Southern Pride. I did think of using two brake car interiors, which would suit the third class parlours.
I, also, used superglue for the sides, and haven't had any problems yet.
Painting and lining is a problem which I haven't solved. I have tried several rattle cans, but can't seem to get the right match. Recently, I have purchased Railmatch colours, but haven't tried them yet.

Earlswood Nob