James' workbench- ex-GC locos and stock in OO

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: James' workbench- ex-GC locos and stock in OO

Post by James Harrison »

Thanks! The only reason I ever thought of it was as a result of several years trying to build models on a (very) tight budget. It's not perfect admittedly but it's a heck of a lot better than I managed last time around.

I think sadly that the D10 is the same one you're thinking of; there are no makers marks on it but it was advertised as being for the Triang L1 (!) chassis.... so it must be the old Jaycraft offering. I'm sure there would be a market if someone were to offer a D11 to D10 conversion kit, as the D10s always seem to be popular when they turn up on ebay...
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Thanks for the response. I thought the explanation might be something like that. I cannot remember if the D10/D11 moulding that I messed with all those years ago was Jaycraft - it was obtained in response to a recurrent "small ads" entry in the Railway Modeller. As I remember, the same supplier made a moulding for a J17 (which had some inaccuracies). When next at home, I'll try to remember to look out the two models I made all those years ago, and (if I can bear the shame) post pics of them. But you'd have to put up with some pretty rough finishing!

auldreekie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

This almost provides an excuse to revive the question of whether a clip-on, substitute D10 cab, with or without a new resin D10 profiled frame piece to go under the boiler, both to suit the Bachmann D11, would be a good idea - or would most people rather wait to see if Bachmann serve up one on a plate for armchair / cheque-book non-modellers????
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

Well. I'm not really in the market for this (no D10s on the old NBR, so far as I know). My original query was largely idle curiosity, although I DID think that others might be interested in the answer. In principle, however, I like the idea of something being done by the home-based cottage industry, rather than passively hoping that Big Biz will do it for us... So I rather hope you get a positive response from GCR/ex-GCR aficionados.

auldreekie
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Well, allow me to put it this way....

D10s and D11s are amongst my favourite locos- I've got two of each. I'd happily buy a set of parts to turn a Bachmann D11 to a D10 if such a kit were available- it'd probably turn out better than the 1970s Jaycraft kit and solve the tricky issue of either sourcing a chassis now 30-odd-years out of production or altering a modern one. The only problem would be deciding which of the eight I've yet to model, to model...
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

Jaycraft did a K1 as well- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaycraft-LNER ... 0670846438 . Makes my eyes water for every reason.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

From the photo, that looks a nice model. Which other locos did Jaycraft do- I've got two of their Directors, seen reference to a J17 and maybe a J11, a K1 and a LNWR 4-6-0 (Experiment class, perhaps?).

I do like working in resin as it's a very forgiving material and easy to work with, in my experience so far. Certainly the alterations I made to my first D10 and my L1/L3 were easy enough to make- the Jaycraft D10 tender is an interesting piece of work in that internally it looks absolutely nothing like anything Robinson ever designed! I shall have to see if I can dig out the photos I took when altering the tender for Sir Clement Royds, or take one or two of the tender 'as received' for Purdon Viccars.

I'm currently working on a bash of an LMS carriage into a GCR brake third (I've already done one of these and I think maybe described how I do them earlier.)

Whilst that is going on I've begun another project....

This is going to be a conversion of a Hornby Railroad Flying Scotsman (high cab, low chimney version) to a 1925-built A1 in as-built condition. The prototype I'm modelling is going to be #2555 Centenary, for no other reason really than I don't think Hornby have modelled it yet!

The first step has been to use T-cut to remove the printed nameplates and numbers, and replace them with Modelmaster etched examples. I've used HMRS pressfix transfers to give a representation of the lining around the cab (no idea why this is missing from the RR model) and then I turned my attention to the tender.

I switched out the corridor tender for the coal rail GNR-pattern example. I found a spare body for this on ebay and bought it (for £2.99 I doubt I could go wrong!) I know it's a little too wide but I'm happy to compromise on this at the moment. The drawback is that it is moulded in a really dark blue plastic and needs repainting... I've started this with Humbrol apple green acrylic and have got the shade to match that on the loco, more or less, but it needs another few coats to get a finish I'll be happy with and by that point it may well have either gone lighter or darker.... shall have to see how this pans out.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Jaycraft also did a J19 and I think a 4F, you had to supply a B12 tender to finish the J19 and a 3F/L1 tender for the 4F.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Thanks Manna, I've been looking on the web for more information on the models they used to make but there doesn't seem to be much (or any!) info around. A pity they didn't make more ex-GC locos, I'd particularly like a Sam Fay for instance....
auldreekie

Post by auldreekie »

[quote="James Harrison"]From the photo, that looks a nice model. Which other locos did Jaycraft do

Since it looks as if Jaycraft was the originator of the D10 and the J17 which I mentioned, it's perhaps worth saying that that manufacturer did an LNWR Prince of Wales, Precursor, and King George 5, but all in the later Belpaire firebox form. I have a feeling there may also have been a D16 (round-topped firebox) and a J19 or J20, both without tender suggesting use of the Hornby/Triang B12 tender-with-chuff. I do remember that the J17 was a bit peculiar about the cab-front/rear splasher arrangements, probably to accommodate to the Hornby/Triang Jinty chassis.

All were cast in quite thick resin, with very prominent boiler-bands and splasher beading, although no doubt these aspects could be taken care of by (a substantial amount of) judicious filing.

auldreekie
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Time for my latest project to break cover...

It's a conversion of a Hornby Railroad Flying Scotsman to classmate 2555 'Centenary'.

The inspiration for the project came from a photo of #2555 at full chat on a down express in 1926/27 in an old Pat Whitehouse book called (I think) 'The Big Four Remembered'.

Now starting with the RR model there are of course certain compromises that have to be considered.... the valve gear is a little chunky and the tender is too wide. I'm sure there are others I'm ignorant of. However, for the price I paid (£40 off of fleabay) I was happy with the basic model. I'm also happier messing around with a £50 model than I would be doing same to one twice the price or more.

The first step was to go looking for decent prototype information. The Green Bible told me that 2555 was only ever coupled to a GN-pattern coal rail tender, so I had to go hunting for one. To match the moulded hand rails on the loco body, and to fit the tender chassis coupled to the RR A1, I bought a moulding of the older Hornby GN tender. This arrived moulded in dark blue and lacking coal rails.

I used Humbrol apple green acrylic applied in about seven thin coats to get the colour of the tender right, and then found 'to my horror' that it didn't match the colour of the loco body. The only way around this was to repaint the entire loco....

This however played into my favour as I found through reading 'The Big Four in Colour' that the livery as-applied to the RR A1 is considerably simplified, so it gave me the opportunity to rectify this.

The bufferstocks were repainted in black, the cab roof black brought down to the top of the cab sides (just these two simple bits improved it no end) and HMRS pressfix transfers employed for the cab lining and the boiler bands. Etched nameplates from the Modelmaster range were fitted.

The engine now just needs some proper coal on the tender and some judicious weathering. For a weeks' evenings' worth of work I'm very happy with it.

Next year I'm hoping to do something similar to a Railroad 'Falcon'.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

I've just won this on a well-known internet auction site whose name may or may not rhyme with 'freeway'.

It was advertised as being a 'Lord Faringdon' class and though it does indeed look (a bit) like one, there are many things wrong with it that I'm sure I don't need to point out. However, I can see in it the potential for a really nice model of an unusual prototype (how often do you see GC 4-cylinder 4-6-0s on layouts?)

It won't be this year and it may not even be next year when I get it on the workbench, but I'm already forming plans on what I can do with it.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
The B2 and B3 had unequal spaced wheelbase: 7'3+8'3. This is the same as the V2.
Comet sell the V2 frames separately and they would need a small modification at the front end and removal of the trailing truck.
A black five has a 7'0+8'0 wheelbase, but may be a little close for comfort on the front two axles if rewheeled with the correct sized wheels.
As you say one doesn't see many GCR four cylinder locos around. I have a Kay's B2 kit which might get converted into a B3 at some time and then there is the B7 (another possibel conversion).
Good luck with improving the model.
Earlswood nob
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Thanks, I'm sure when finished it will be either

a) ruined, in the bin or
b) much improved....

I'm hoping the latter :lol:

I am told it is already running on a Black 5 chassis, though from the photo it looks more like a B12. I guess we'll find out when it gets here...

I'm looking at a couple of chassis' as potential replacements, so far the list runs to

- Hornby J52/ Jinty chassis
- Hornby Pannier chassis (is this the same as the J52?)
- Bachmann Pannier chassis
- Black 5
- V2
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all
The Jinty/J52 chassis is 8'0+8'6 so would be 4mm too long, and as a 4-6-0 usually ends up with driving wheels under the cab may be too long to enclose the rear drivers.

You could chose to convert it into a B7, it would need a new cab and lower splashers, but the B7 has a shorter wheelbase, which is virtually spot on the Southern King Arthur. I don't know how accurate the Hornby chassis is, but if its anywhere near scale it would be an ideal solution.

Good luck with the model

Earlswood nob