James' workbench- ex-GC locos and stock in OO

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: James' workbench- ex-GC locos and stock in OO

Post by jwealleans » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 pm

If it’s whitemetal it’ll be Millholme.

Woodcock29
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Woodcock29 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am

It looks like the Millholme kit. I have one part built at the moment, but admit its been like that for a while!

The tender is the give away as the body is a bit too long as it doesn't have sufficient length of footplate at the rear. Also it has the round plastic wheel as the water pickup wheel instead of a ship's wheels. Also it has etched coal rails as supplied in the kit.

Andrew

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:30 pm

A W1 has arrived...

It's a resin kit running on a Hornby tender-driven chassis. This is a loco I've wanted for a very, very long time and when one came up on Ebay for a reasonable price it was a no-brainer.

You can also see, behind the tender, one of my pair of Barnum brakes. I've built these using some silhouette cutter files for a Barnum saloon, with a degree of more traditional scratchbuilding for the brake end. They're very nearly finished now.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pm

You were lucky to get that W1 James.

I nearly bought one, probably 15+ years ago, from the second-hand items at a local model shop, but I went away to think about it overnight and when I returned it had not sold, but the owner had withdrawn it from sale.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:33 pm

That sounds like one of those 'what might have been' tales. I know I have a few of those myself.

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:52 am

I've been working on a pair of Barnum brake carriages for the last month or so to accompany my earlier Barnum saloons. I used the same silhouette cutter files for the saloon ends and built the brake ends by hand, from scratch, out of embossed plastic sheet.