Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

Post by SAD Burdett »

EN,
Good to hear from you and many thanks for your info on possible gear ratio's.
Whilst I want the L1 to be able to trundle round gracefully with a few coaches on a friends layout,,, the slow running is probably more important to me.
Salmon Pastures in BRM in 2009!! crickey was it that long ago,, it has changed a fair bit since then,,, and somethings are still waiting to be finished!!.
I have had to back out of my next show on medical advice,,, a problem with a heel which I had hoped would clear up hasn't,,, it's just got worse.

Modelling can seriously damage your health as well as your piggy bank!!!

I like the look of your 4-4-0,,, what was it about Edwardian/turn of the century engines,,, graceful in the extreme!!

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon SAD et al

The L1s were used on FA Cup FInal specials at Neasden. I like grubby freight trains and several of them were used for banking over Woodhead.

A Mashima 1620 with a 54:1 gearbox would give reasonable passenger capability. The 1620 is the faster than the 1624/1628 etc.

I've found that when you pass 40 then injuries take longer to heal. I twisted my knee three months ago and it is still troubling me.

As you state the late Victoria/Edwardian locos look the part. I bought the D23 from a certain online auction site, for a good price as it came without a tender. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conversion from a J21, as I've never seen a kit of the D23. I was interested as they worked the Stainmore line, which also had it's share of grubby freight trains.

I am about to investigate the nature of reality by the exchange of economic units for intoxicating liquid.

Earlswood nob
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Salmon Pastures. Work in prog. L1

Post by SAD Burdett »

Well,
Having safely moved house, installed new workshops and finished with the exhibition circuit for a bit I have actually managed to make some progress today with the L1 Zeppelin.
As attached pics
zepp 12dec 002.JPG
zepp 12dec 004.JPG
zepp 12dec 005.JPG
Today I have had the basic chassis on the rolling road for about 3 hours whilst I was making buffer beams and attaching to footplate.
Also finished off the rather complicated footplate S bends,,, having checked my Yeadons they were certainly distinctive.
If anybody see's any glaring errors please Yell,,, I am that close to it things can easily get overlooked.

If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Well after a couple of years that can only be described as "anus horibilis [and the first word isn't latin !!!] we appeared to have moved into calmer waters and I have even found time to get back to my favourite hobby.

Onto more pleasant things the L1 Zeppelin.

This is roughly where I left it in 2016!!!
DSCF0069 (2).JPG
And after some concerted effort over the last week this is where we are now.
DSCF0071 (2).JPG
DSCF0072 (2).JPG
Only bluetacked into place at the moment but it is giving me a pretty good idea about how accurate my marking out has been.
As usual if anyone see's any errors or omissions please YELL,, I will not take offence.

It is not until you cannot indulge in your favourite pastimes that you realise how much it actually means to you.
It's good to be back!!!

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Good to have you back. At the NEC two weeks ago, on the stall that had the huge former "personal collection" of kits for sale, I was surprised to see a Kingdom Kits (of Fife) un-built Robinson L1 - and I thought the one I built years ago was a a rare old kit at the time! Mind you, the same stall also had at least nine Mc Gowan B12/3s..........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Hi Graham,,,
Am hoping to meet the same guy at Peterboro tomoro,,, not that I now want an L1 kit,,, as I am enjoying myself far too much shattering piercing saw blades again on this one!!!!

I knew the Zeppelins were big brutes but it is not until I saw it coming together that I realised just how big,,, monster-ous is apt,,, BRAKES who needs 'em anyway,,, a refined art of slowing down naturally was surely sufficient.

On past history of scratch building things I can almost guarantee as soon as it is finished somebody will bring a kit out,,,, happened with the A5, Y7 and more recently Valour!!! [no hard feelings,, it looks a cracker from what I have seen]

Look forward to seeing you somewhere on the merry go round.

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Salmon Pastures. Zeppelin Work in progress

Post by SAD Burdett »

DSCF0116.JPG
Have had quite a good bash at putting the "window frames" into the cab ends and sides.

Have had to call it a day as:

1/ It's bloomin cold in the garage today,,,
2/ Started to go cross eyed,,,

Still got to finish off 1 cab side and do a bit of cleaning up.
Without a doubt they are a bit of a "Phaph" but look a lot better with than without.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Worth the trouble.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Have had another good bash at the Zeppelin today,,, and have got the cab and bunker tack soldered together.
This has identified the footplate is about 2mm too long,,,, Ho Hum,,, so off came the buffer beam to shorten the footplate.
Never mind by this time tomorrow we should be back where we should have been today!!!
cab2.jpg
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Another good day in the erecting shops,
Cab floor and steps fitted with handrails and cab now mounted to footplate,,,, it actually fits and is square.
Next stage will be firebox and boiler,,, will I be able to raise steam before Santa puts a stop to my fun!!![img]
cab handrail.jpg
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Another couple of solid sessions on the L1 has produces a basic firebox shell,,, which still needs all the washout plugs and "lady's bumps" to be fabricated,, and I couldn't resist a quick BluTac session to see if it all matches up with the holes and dimensions on the footplate.
zepp smokebox2.jpg
zepp smokebox.jpg
Am confident we will have enough wiggle room to get it all to fit together and so after a celebratory end of term libation with my wife I started on the boiler,,,, hope to get it cut and cleaned and probably BluTacked for the album tomorrow.
zepp boiler.jpg
zepp boiler.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Salmon Pastures. L1 Work in progress

Post by SAD Burdett »

Have managed to get quite a lot done to the L1 since my last post.
Now have a firebox and smokebox fitted to the boiler
zepp sbox.jpg
zepp sbox2.jpg
Apologies for the second shot,, this is what happens when you attempt to take photo's and drink tea!!!

Fitted to the chassis for a dry run and had to gas axe [mini drill actually] lumps of the smokebox wrapper to stop it shorting on the front drivers but after doing that it all went well.

Next will be the front frames leading into the tanks and then we should see some real progress,, and then a serious session of removing all the excess solder in area's which will eventually be painted

Can anybody help with a supply issue,,, on a previous Robinson build I had a small whitemetal casting for the characteristic GC forward/reverse mechanism.
I can't remember who made it and for once didn't keep the small bag it came in,,, does it ring a bell with anybody???? as I now need another one.

Merry Xmas to everyone and progressive modelling in 2020,,,, where did that decade go???

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

splash LH.jpg
splash RH.jpg
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

LH Tank.jpg
RH Tank.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You making good progress, nice looking engine, in an odd sort of way. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.