Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

Post by Paul_sterling »

It looks fantastic, well done.

Paul.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Thanks for the encouragement gent's,,,
I suppose the serious stuff is about to commence,,, after a quick glance through Yeadon's here we go fumbling through another detailing minefield,, but I am quite pleased with the progress so far.

I have always had "a thing" about the L1,,,, it will balance out my "Hughes Heavy" 0-8-0 in the ugly stakes quite nicely.

Will probably give it a break for a short time as all the bits and pieces for the trams overheads has arrived and I have been looking forward to fiddling about with all that for some time,,, the days of the solar powered tram are about to come to an end.

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

SAD Burdett wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:51 pm
auldreekie wrote: So far it has essayed auldfreekie, auldcreakie, auldfreebie, auldstreakie, auldfeelie, and auldpreachie, amongst others.... )
Can I add ,,,auld-lang-sign to the mix!!!!
As I've had a good afternoon handrail knobbing,,, I needed a bit of R&R to allow my eyeballs to get back to normal,,, so here it is,,,,, if you listen carefully you can hear the foam creeking,,,

One day sam,,, one day,,,

Well it only took 7 years!! 2013 was the last time the C4 got a mention,, but,, after a concerted effort to do all sorts of other things Lily has been rescued from the "wot to do" shelf and has received a considerable amount of attention since the weekend.

It now runs much better than it ever has before and I have today spent a happy few hours replacing the wobbly whitemetal reversing rod and adding the tin box modification for the later models.

The tender is the original Millholme version which will need a fair amount of detail added, the 2 boxes next to water dome on the rear and a more realistic "ships wheel on the brakes.

When this one is finished I am definitely getting back to the L1 !! [he says optimistically]
c4 revbox3 (2).jpg
Attachments
C4 progress.jpg
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Not warm enough in the garage for spraying yet so have gone back to the L1.

Today's efforts have provided brakes all round and a couple of sandboxes.
Squeezing the sandboxes in with 00 flanges has meant a bit of poetic license on width sizes but it is not too noticeable,, plus after a brief test there doe's not appear to be any shorts,,, yet!!
sandbox  brakes (2).jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nice to have you back, Steve. That Atlantic looks lovely.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Thanks Jonathan,,
It really is Good to be back,,, but this lock-down scenario is working wonders for my modelling!!!

The Jersey Lily is having a break,,,making silk purses out of 1970's castings is certainly keeping me occupied.
I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I also have a Millholme "Fish" engine and an Immingham to have a go at when I get bored!!

Today I have been jousting with the sandboxes on the L1,,,, a good 8 hours in the garage has produced a full set,,, [my wife thinks I'm crackers,,,] the ones under the cab are a bit of a challenge,, I had 3 go's at it before I was happy with the shape.
zepp6.jpg
Am now hoping the modelling can get back to a consistent level as against 1 month on 3 months off,, etc etc and I've got to get ready for Immingham show 2021,,, that should be fun!!!

Again thanks for your comments,,,

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Rear bogie now taking shape.
One side complete apart from a good clean up.
Dummy frames will hide the 10BA nut!!
rear complete 1 side.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice bogie, including brakes. One thing about modelling a Robinson L1 - you don't need very much of it erected before it becomes absolutely unmistakeable!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Evening Graeme,
Very true and hard to believe the same man designed the C4, A5,D9, Immingham and Sir Sam Fay,,,, perhaps even back then they had ,,
"a bad day in the office",,, it really is an ugly duckling,,, but it is definitely growing on me!!!

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Have had a break from the L1 today and gone back to the Jersey Lily for a bit of light relief.
Fitted some pseudo leaf springs to the bogie as I felt it looked a bit like what it was,,,, a lump of brass.
When painted black they should "merge" OK and also fitted the cylinder drain valves.
cyl drain pipes and bogie (2).jpg
Also found one of the handrail holes was off centre so have filled that in for a "try again" tomorrow,, hence all the white dust sitting everywhere.

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Subject to the weather conditions this weekend the C4 should be joining the others in the queue for the paintshop.
C4 face.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The painting will be interesting, are you going to dismantle the C4 !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

That's a very atmospheric photo you've managed to take, Loco looks very nice.

Paul
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Thanks Paul, Manna,

Dismantled for painting,,, mmm,,, I wish.
The chassis is already split from the body for both the loco and tender and that is as far as I usually go,,, it was started well before somebody had the great idea to make them in easy to paint "lumps",,, even now I still make them in 2 parts,, the chassis and the body.
For all black loco's I don't think it makes much difference,,, but for lined apple green it has to be an advantage,,, I will let you see how I get on,,, painting loco's is well outside my comfort zone,,, I don't enjoy painting,,, for me it is the ultimate "black art",, but I do enjoy soldering which I suppose balances everything out.

Sheer luck with the photo,,,, I forgot to turn the flash on and for once the sun was cascading onto the dining room table,,, and the result is a sepia toned Jersey Lily without even trying,,, one benefit of these modern camera's is you can find out what settings you were using and try and use them again,,, remembering such insights is also a bit of a black art if you have a memory as inactive as mine!!!

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

At least 1929 onwards is just black, with some red lining.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.