Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Salmon Pastures. Work in progress

Post by SAD Burdett »

Morning Graeme,

Just black with NO lining would be MUCH better,,, but that is a bit late for me.
I have a photo of one in lined apple green in mid 1930's,,, it looks a bit work worn but still full of character.

I am tempted and will have to decide over the next 24 hours,,,,, watch this ether filled space!!!!

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have a photo of one in lined apple green in mid 1930's
Are you sure of the date? Upwards of 5 years after the 1928 change to black seems suspicious to me. Is the number still on the tender?
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Hi Jonathan,

Locomotives illustrated 145 page 35 lower picture.
The caption says it is May 1936,, working a perishable goods for Banbury.
Assuming the smokebox is black the boiler and splashers look green to me,,, but not a conclusive picture.
If nothing else it could keep the RCTS boys entertained for a few years!!!

Any comments or more conclusive evidence would be much appreciated.

SAD
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll dig it out after work.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I don't think I would be using that picture to draw any conclusions about the livery.

Try this, no date unfortunately, although the chimney perhaps dates it to after 30-5-1936:
LNER C4 6085 v2.jpg
Yeadon states 6085 was painted black with lining in October 1928, initially still with the number on the tender. Probably altered to black with number on the cab in 1930.

John
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Thanks for that John,

I take your point on the livery.

Looks like lined black,,, which is a shame co's I always wanted an apple green Atlantic.
But I am sorely tempted if only to keep my pals in the RCTS on their toe's.

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

There's a colour picture of one in the C4 locomotive section of this website if you haven't seen it already. Green would look lovely but fully lined black doesn't ruin the elegance of the loco.

Link: https://www.lner.info/locos/C/c4.php

Paul
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Hello Paul,
Agreed it does look rather smart in that photo,,, but for me,,, it's the classic head v heart scenario!!!

It looks as though it will have to be black,,, which will be easier,, just.

I have spent a happy hour with the Cilit Bang this morning giving it a good de-lousing,,, the gunk that was sitting in the bottom of the bowl was rather embarrassing,,, yuck!!!

As an update the Q7, D2 and J3 are already primed with a can of Halfords etch primer.
Subject to wind, rain and weather conditions they should be black by close of play tomorrow.

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

As I am still waiting for the driving wheels to arrive for the D21 I have been doing a bit more to the L1 for the last couple of days.
Most of the work has been below the footplate and I now have steps all round
L1 rearstep.jpg
The tanks have the beading round the top
L1 tanks.jpg
Have tested thoroughly through my pointwork and solved a few shorting problems predominantly from the rear bogie with all the brake gear.
Apart from the stone guards that is the chassis pretty much complete.
So I have started detailing the cab.
L1 cab.jpg
I have photo's for O4, D11, D9 cabs [Yeadon, RCTS Greens, and Johnson's loco's of the GCR] but nothing of any use for the L1 or possibly A5,,, I am assuming they would be similar.
Is anybody aware of any photo's that may be of use.
Thanks in advance.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Has your camera done something odd to the beading on the splasher in the top picture, Steve?
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Funny you should mention that Jonathan,,,, I noticed it yesterday and thought,,, that looks naff,,, perhaps it's the camera angle,,,, but it isn't,, it is genuinely naff,,, and will be attended to when I have finished jousting with the stone guards on the front bogie.
Thanks for your interest,,,, with modern camera's it really is a case of "warts and all" .
It's school report time,,, "5/10 could do better" [the story of my educational career from start to finish]

SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

L1 BEADS.jpg
Am so pleased with the upgrade on the beading,,, I will now have to do it on the other side!!!
Still got to clean a bit of solder out of the joins but a definite improvement.
Thanks Jonathan.
The thoughts of all this improved beading obviously diverted me from the task in hand as those stone irons are about 2mm too high!!!
No medals today Mutley!!! mutter mutter mutter,,,

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I hope no recent news from Norfolk means only good news SAD...

Any further progress to show on the D21 and L1?

Does that D21 kit have a murky past? I ask, because tonight I found my (undated) 1970s W & H catalogue, which features a picture of an assembled GEM D21 with something looking much more like a NER tender than you originally had. I believe your loco had for some reason acquired a tender for an NBR Scott or Glen.

The model in the catalogue picture may have the right sort of tender but I think its livery is either poorly researched or the result of wishful thinking, i.e. LNER lined green (only applied up to 1928) with large numbers on the loco itself (only appropriate for post 1929 black livery).
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Mick,
As requested.

D21 tend.JPG
D21 cab ten detail.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks SAD,

It gives me some ideas on the front of 4125g Pick up Tender layout.

Again your D21 Loco body is different from my version. Have you made replacement Brass Cab sides/front ? . The Roof is different as well,my one has the "normal" Roof shape, without the fill in piece underneath.

cheers

Mick