P2 Kit wanted

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

P2 Kit wanted

Post by Colombo »

Does anybody know of a kit for a Gresley P2 in 0 Gauge?

Colombo
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
I dont think you will find better??

http://www.cockothenorth.net/

Mick
bjskm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

P2 kit

Post by bjskm »

Hi:
ACE products have such a kit, for both of the first 2 locos, 2001-2002. It is resonably priced at 290 pounds for both loco and tender, no wheels, motor.
I have a kit for 2001. The instructions are somewhat limited, not for a first timer. Also, I feel that the quality of the etching is reflected in the price, not of the Finney standard. The castings are pretty good, whitemetal mostly.
I have not started the kit, to br honest I think I will replace a number of parts. Anyone starting this kit will need alot of photos and drawings to figure out where all the parts go as the drawings in the instructions are limited and a little confusing.
The model shown in Colombo's response I believe is not available as a kit. I inquired about their model but got no respone. It looks to be an excellent model but I would estimate that it would sell for quite a bundle of cash. No details as to its availability in different gauges is mentioned. I would be interested in any further details if you get any on this model.

Good luck, I hope that this has been of some use,

brian
bjskm
NER Y7 0-4-0T

P2 KIt

Post by bjskm »

Whoops, obviously I did not proof read my last message. I should have credited MIck with the first reply.
Sorry
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Thank you Mick and Brian.

I think the Ace kit is just what he is looking for.

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Colombo,

Check the kit out carefully before splashing out. I have a club colleague who has just built their C14 and had a hell of a struggle with it. I've also heard on the grapevine that some of their kits are very good and some are best left on the stand. I don't know whether the ones they've acquired are the good ones or the ones they've developed themselves but it might be worth speaking to someone who's built the kit before investing. It may be that the range is under improvement, like the Jidenco/Falcon Brass range.

Not building 7 mm myself I have no direct experience, but having heard on a week by week basis what a struggle this tank engine was, a P2 might turn into a neverending horror story.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

JW,

Thanks, I shall bear that in mind.

My contact is dead set on building a P2 and says that he will build it from scratch if he can't find a kit!

Colombo
scorpio7uk
NER Y7 0-4-0T

P2 Kit

Post by scorpio7uk »

Hello I'm new here...so forgive me if I do this wrong...

I have a partly scratch built 7mm model of 2001, which I brought about 15 years ago, I started rebuilding bits of it but never got very far.

I reconstructed the chassis, fitted Slater's hornblocks and drilled holes for plunger pickups, I made an overlay for the rear outside radial to get the shape right (I only ever got one side done) and made a rudimentary pony truck for the rear. I also etched some con-rods (not totally successfully).

I haven't really done much work with the body, I painted the steel smokebox door to stop it rusting (I knew it would take a while before getting anywhere with it).
Dimensionally the model is very close, though the cab shape is wrong.

I have other bits such as the chimney, the part of the firebox that goes into the cab, cylinders and a tender.
I'll dig the extra bits out as soon as I can find them.
The tender is completely wrong for the P2, it is a model of the bow ended corridor tender as fitted to the silver A4s, not totally correct but it's a good start, the tender has no chassis.

These days I would rather design my own kit of the P2 then to scratch build, or use a bad kit (I'm not saying the Ace kit is bad, I haven't made one so I don't know).

Just in case you're wondering I'm part of Scorpio Models, which 7mm modellers would probably have heard of, also the Acme A4 was the first kit I was involved with (mainly the tender).

I think that selling this (complete with all the bits and the driving wheels) is what I'd like to do now, so if your friend thinks it's a possible option for him, then me know and we can agree a price.
I've attached a few pictures, I'll take more once I've dug the rest of the bits out if anybody's interested.

Thanks
Jeff
Attachments
P2 4.JPG
(102.55 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
P2 3.JPG
(126.93 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
P2 2.JPG
P2 2.JPG (75.19 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
P2 1.JPG
(104.13 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums Jeff!

Looks good - I doubt I could get something to look like that (but then I'm not a 7mm modeller yet).

It is surprising the difference that the chimney (or lack of it) makes!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Collmbo - there's one of these on Ebay, item number 120140005970.