N7/3 Lining

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

N7/3 Lining

Post by rob »

Hello all,I'm just about to start lining my 4mm Connnoisseur N7 as late 30's No.2618, P36 on the appropriate Yeadons.I am unsure about the bunker back-the photos all show these locos were lined out in panels and lining did not continue around the back (as with N2's etc)but I would guess the bunker rear was also lined out and assume it followed the radius of the bunker top which is curved.I have the appropriate RCTS too but none show a rear view with discernable lining in LNER days-can anyone confirm or deny my guesswork?Thanks!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Rob,

I saw this query of yours while I was on holiday and have only just consulted Brian Haresnape on the subject. I'd have thought, personally, that they weren't lined on the bunker end; only on the basis that buffer beams were lined on the front but not the rear of the loco. Haresnape is inconclusive on the subject. Lining reduced after 1928 anyway, so I'd be more sure of my ground in saying it would be plain.

Have you tried whichever group owns the preserved N7? They may know or have a view
rob

Post by rob »

I'm very much inclined to think you are right Jonathan-and I never thought of the preserved loco,though among my bloops and blunders its not the most significant-yes,after careful consideration of relevant RCTS and Yeadons I painstakingly lined out the bunker back,following the curve of the tank on top too.I even said to myself,wait,it will be easy to add if information comes to light,impossible to remove!The loco has now been oversprayed and I'm not going to back down(I just won't run it in reverse!)In fact,it does not look quite right so I think thats proof enough.I will try to post a photo before too long.I am happy though that both sources say these carried lining up until wartime economies.
Rob's First Law Of Railway Modelling:as soon as the paint is dry,more information comes to light to prove you wrong.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Through out the LNER period Stratford, where the N7's would be overhauled and painted, regularly went through savings and cutbacks through out the 20's and 30's so it is more likely that the N7 would appear unlined or certainly with reduced lining. The green loco's were less harshly treated being finished lined throughout until the black war years.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Simon-can you throw any light on this comment from RCTS part 1? ".........the shade of green also varied,that applied at Darlington being more yellow,with the Stratford green not so light but lighter than that of Doncaster and the remaining works." (P45).I built a B12/1 last year and agonised over what to do with that too-went for Railmatch Doncaster Green in the end,looks fine but was there a discernable shade difference with Stratford works green?I always think photos show that Stratford took great pride and made a real effort but seem to have been what we would nowdays call"underresourced" by the LNER.Ditto with Gorton,and Inverurie was a law unto itself,i.e double black lined B12's-I was tempted to do this,but felt green gave a more representative,go anywhere B12.Doncaster and Darlington seem to have simply had more abundant paint and transfers supplies available!And why was Darlington allowed its own very different green?Not but that this variety is all part of what makes the LNER so interersting.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Rob

I remember your thread about Stratford green, but i wasn't sure then and i'm not now. I like the thought if Black B12's running around. I wonder if you can get away with painting anything in the Eastern region of the Lner in any color we want.

My real interest in the east has always been the CVR so i have only a little knowledge of the pains of Stratford works but it does seem the very poor relation. They also had a problem with the 1946 renumbering as they ran out of the number 8 transfer. I don't know whether they used their own green but i wouldn't be suprised as they may have mixed it from the old GER blue. perhaps this is where the uniqueness comes from. The only green thing on the old CVR in LNER days was the grass so i have never seen color photos of an LNER loco that didn't come from Doncaster.

Sorry Rob, but i don't think i can help you out much on this one. Good uck with the N7 though.

Regards
Simon
Last edited by CVR1865 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks CVR-I hadn't heard the one about the 8's,Its amusing really,though probably not for the staff at the time!Both locos are complete now and I'm happy with them at least- I suppose I am really just enquiring out of curiosity at this stage but if you ever do hear more,please let me know.