Buffers for sidings

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

keith byfield
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Buffers for sidings

Post by keith byfield »

What type of buffers were used in sidings? I am modelling LNER 1937/39 somewhere between Darlington and York towards the limestone country. Whilst I do not have a large LNER library not one of the books I have shows a siding with buffers! Any help gratefully welcome.
Keith
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Keith,

I had a problem with NER buffers as well. There used to a range of of white metal buffer stops for all the pre and post grouping railway companies made by Mikes Models. These do not seem to be made any more, but I occasionally find them in the junk bins at swap meets.

I have soldered some up out of code 75 rail based on photos that I have found, or taken around York Station. Generally by the 50s and 60s they were getting well mixed up and I know that there are some LNWR/LMS pattern ones at York Station on the platforms 2 and 3 (new numbers).

Try Googling "Buffer stop" and hit images. You will find lots of different types there.

If you want to build a really old NER buffer stop, have a look at the following: http://www.railscot.co.uk/Alston_Branch/frame.htm

If you scroll down you will see a picture of a very strange looking cast iron framed buffer stop. It so happens that you can buy a 00 kit for this consisting of just the two triangular side frames cast in brass from Slaters Plastikard pat ref: M4500. You have to supply all the other parts yourself but there is enough detail in the photo to build a good model.

Colombo
keith byfield
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Buffers for sidings

Post by keith byfield »

Thanks colombo,
The images on google were amazing. You hinted at some difficulty in deciding what the Buffer Stops were actually like in the period i am interested in. I have come to the conclusion that bent rails with wooden cross pieces for little used sidings and metal crosspieces for more active ones. I had hoped for soil or rock filled rectanglar ones as i have some of these. However! Thank you again Keith
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Keith,

I think that your conclusions are about right.

There are some BBC Nation on Film files on line at http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/topics/railways/
If you scroll down you will find a short film by the LNER on in 1945 on testing buffers. The London heavy design wins hands down. It is a bit like the Peco kit for a rail built one.

I mentioned Mikes Models producing a kit for a LNWR design that is at least very similar to the ones at York Station.

I have just been to Sheringham and taken a photo of the one that the NNR have installed at the end of their platform. This seems to be a popular design , but is different to the one in the 1945 buffer test.

Colombo
Attachments
P6190013.JPG
(412.63 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Keith,

I have just found out that Mikes Models are being produced again by Holt Model Railways of Swansea. The range included white metal kits for water columns, buffer stops and yard cranes. Additional items are being delivered regularly.

Colombo
keith byfield
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by keith byfield »

Columbo
Thank you very much indeed. Keith