Class F5

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Class F5

Post by mistahjim »

Just wondering if anybody has built (or knows someone who has) the Falcon brassworks 4mm model of the F5. I'm debating getting one but have never really heard much about the quality of the kits.

Thanks
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I haven't built it but know someone who built one of the other loco kits (the M & GN 4-4-0). He advised that it was a s*d. I understand that the new proprietors are improving the old Jidenco kits - it may be worth asking whether this one has been 'improved'.

I'd certainly have said, based on the reputation they have, that they aren't for the beginner.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

In terms of the materials,castings etc their quality is excellent but I agree with Jonathan on the beginner bit-though I actually started etched building with some of their wagon kits on the grounds that if it went down the toilet(possibly literally)they were not expensive.Oddly,after a lot ofW/M kits and etched rolling stock,my first etched loco was the Falcon J88.Here are the main features I found difficult;
1-the chassis sideframes did not have holes for bearings in them,only etched dimples and needed very careful opening out to get an accurate chassis.(tack solder the frames together while doing this-I was very nearly unable to seperate mine afterwards though,used far too much solder)
2-the kits were originally intended for EM and footplates may need to be filed inwards for clearance.Etched spacers are provided but little in the way of locating guidance-a bit like Comet. I used traditional turned spacers instead.
3-The boiler is pre-rolled,but has its bands etched on so is really a half etch and thus very thin.I liked this,but it would be easy to distort.
4-Instructions are minimal,but adequate-I presume anyone building such an obscure prototypre will have photos lined up anyway!
5-Not a lot in the way of locating tabs etc-again I think I prefer this,but at times it was a case of "....and with my third hand etc"
On the whole it was most enjoyable-I intend to build more from this range and their service is excellent-there is a helpline available and the owners genuinely want to give modellers good service.
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

Ok, cheers for that guys. I've not done a vast amount in the way of etched kits (and no locos) so i'll leave off for a while. Any suggestions on a good LNER loco kit or general manufacturer to start with?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd have said Connoisseur, but he has just stopped doing 4 mm and I don't think he has any LNER stock left. You might find some on Ebay or at a show. D & S and Alan Gibson have also stopped producing.... London Road have a very high reputation if he covers a prototype you're interested in, and PDK are very good indeed but a bit expensive for a first time.

My first etched kit was a Craftsman A5 - Mainly Trains still stock them and they aren't ruinously dear. They also do a C12 if that's more your thing. ACE trains do some 4 mm but I'd avoid them for a first attempt.

All in all I'd go for the Craftsman option if you can't find any Connoisseur floating around.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Back again-I would agree with Jonathan on the Craftsman jobbies,possibly the C12.Not only pre-rolled boilers but pre-shaped tank sides etc.I was going to add in my last post that apart from easier chassis I don't think there is a lot between PDK and Falcon otherwise-I built a PDK B12/1 last year.The etch for the tender was the dirtiest piece of brass I've ever seen,looked like it had been stored outside!They have not been very good at providing missing parts for another of their kits either.
If opting for London Road choose carefully,I got one of the new D23's as a Christmas present,a work of art but pretty formidable albeit with impressive drawings and incredibly thorough instructions .I suppose truth be told there is NO easy first etched loco kit and I wouldn't spend big money-don't rule Falcon out though:ring them and ask if they would post a set of instructions out,that would be a big help in deciding.
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

I've D + S brake van somewhere, that doesn't lok too daunting, so i'll check ebay. As for everything else, thanks for the help guys, i'll let you know how i get on once i've made a decision.
badwolf
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

F5

Post by badwolf »

If its anything like the other Falcon kits the instructions are minimal to say the least-- not for the beginner
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

I've been looking about. I have to say the A5 is a handsome beast of a tank engine, and not too pricey. Theres s few kits on eBay at the mo, seriously looking at a Gibson E4 (I remember the one at Bressingham, stunning in Prussian Blue), though something like that will probably get expensive toward the end.