"Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: "Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

Post by LNER4479 »

PM duly sent.

When you get to read it, it contains details of the DVD and how to purchase one.

Cheers,

Graham
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
mojo36
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by mojo36 »

Graham,
Sorry to have to use this thread but I have tried to send an email and also a pm but had no result (email address not found) and (pm will not work).
Could you email me at cooper.man@talktalk.net please so that I can arrange Paypal payment.
Maurice
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Long shot I'm sure but during my 7 - 10 day stay mainly in 'the North' mid September I don't suppose 'Grantham' is out on show anywhere?

Graeme Leary
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Next show is Spalding in November, Graeme.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Apologies for belated response Jonathon. Many thanks but well before then I will have returned to the Land of the Long White Cloud. Que sera sera.

Graeme Leary
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's been a running weekend for Grantham, the first time we've been back to the layout since January - and it showed from time to time. We had a day troubleshooting all the little jobs which there is never time for at shows, then a day running the sequence and ironing out any more faults which became apparent.

I had a few new items to bring along and made sure at least some were photographed. Here is Shotover, complete with ACFI gear, working a down service at the north end of Grantham station.

This K3 has come my way in return for some carriage building. It's Bachmann but with cab and chassis by Tony Wright.

4466 Herring Gull has also returned to the layout as part of a trade. This was a Grantham locomotive for much of our period, so it's very much at home. Here it's on shed with long term resident 4479.

Most of what photography I did otherwise was across to the up side yards, which was where most of the goods stock starts the sequence of movements. Here a J2 (Graeme King) awaits the off with a freight to New England.

Fordson tractor in a rake of loaded wagons; in the background the cattle wagons would be against the cattle dock, were it in place.

Moving slightly left, over the top of some stabled carriage stock, the photographer has captured a cut of tank wagons with an NER special cattle wagon behind. Was that kit ever released? The LNWR van at right angles to the rest shows where the end of the maltings building will be placed.

Pictures from today, with buildings in place; looking over an O4 awaiting the call to High Dyke and the rear of the shed building, we see a rake of empty wagons with some loaded Appleby Frodingham iron ore hoppers behind. The south end pilot is also in evidence.

Lastly the Lee & Grinling maltings building which always repays study, with NER and GN vans and an LBSCR open in front. There's to be some scenic work in the next few weeks so I imagine those railings will be attended to.

Finally something else new, but you'll have to look at my thread to find out about it.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Cattle Van was that Arthurs kit ? If yes he never made anymore as far as I am aware . He wasn't happy with dimensions ?

All Steel BG , should be fun lining that out !!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from a sunny Surrey bank holiday,

I'm getting very tempted to visit Spalding for a weekend at the beginning of November.

There are a few museums in the area, and trains run direct to Peterborough from a local station (Redhill).

There is also an exhibition taking place. I couldn't stay long at Stevenage, as my back was painful, but hopefully it will be OK.

I enjoy watching Grantham, and spotting all the different loco classes.

Earlswood Nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mick, yes, the cattle vans are both Arthur's. Shame it hasn't progressed.

I'm going to paint this first BG crimson, but in due course there will be a teak one and no, I'm not really looking forward to doing it.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Good luck !!
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Arthur must have made a few of both types of NER cattle vans, I have two or three of each of the body styles he produced. He also made a quantity of NER gangwayed (end vestibule) bogie coaches around the same time, I have 5 of these coach kits from two different diagram numbers and would really like to get hold of another half dozen across a few different diagram numbers.

Dan (D&S) had these carriages in his catalogue for a few years (Dia. 152 to 159) but unfortunately they never reached production.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't think the carriages ever went beyond those two diagrams. Arthur sold me his test etches some time ago and they were only for those two types.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

There is a possibility that another producer of etched kits will be doing the NER corridor stock some time in the future. But there are no firm plans just yet.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That's encouraging to hear. They're lovely things when built.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just a reminder to anyone tempted to visit that GTSY will be at Spalding Show this weekend. Do make yourselves know if you choose to visit.