"Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: "Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

Post by Quicksilver95 »

I'm planning on being there! Looking forward to seeing Grantham in the flesh after so many years of following online!
Hope to catch up there!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I have had to cancel my plans to view Grantham at Spalding as I shall watching the Rugby World Cup final at the Rugby Club.

I wish everyone a good time, and hope to see you in the future.

Malcolm (aka Earlswood Nob)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

There's always Sunday Malcolm.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

The problem with getting from home to Spalding on a sunday is that no trains run from Peterborough to Spalding. I didn't fancy driving there and back on a busy sunday.

I had planned to travel to Spalding on friday and home on monday, but rugby scuppered that.

I hope that Grantham has more outings.

Earlswood nob
Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Iron Duke »

I last saw the layout a few years ago and following a visit to Spalding on Sunday I must say how much I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again.

Well done to everyone concerned, by far the best layout overall, you must be very proud!

Iron Duke
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well many thanks, ID, I'm glad it floated your boat.

I had time for some photography on Sunday morning; the Official Photographer's visit didn't materialise as it happened. There's something of a North Eastern bias to these, quite coincidentally.

First some overall views. The building we were in at Spalding is a tin shed with lining to give it a marquee feel. It gets very hot and the lighting at the back of the layout was terrible.

For you fans of the TV show, Graham (maroon top), Tom (2 tone grey jumper) and Paul (blue fleece) from Team Grantham can be seen. Also visible, other members of the 'A' Team, Barry (blue/white stripes), Adam (yellow top), Craig (blue sleeveless top).

The principal item I wanted to photograph was the Jidenco LWB fish van which i finished especially for the show. 2372 on its habitual working.

We happened to have stopped on Saturday evening at move 12 (third time round) which involves the 13:10 KX - Newcastle/Leeds and had on this occasion been given to 706 to work. I've just repaired 706 and there are loads of pictures of GN Atlantics on the layout, so I make no apologies for a few of one of Vincent Raven's finest heading home.

Crossing Springfield Road bridge (was it Springfield Road in 1938?)

Passing 4475 Flying Fox also awaiting the journey home.

On shed, a returning loco which I've acquired from Tom Foster, 4466 Herring Gull. This ran on the layout at early shows but hasn't been seen for a couple of years at least. Locomotion 3251 adjacent.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great pictures, Thanks. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Iron Duke wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 am I last saw the layout a few years ago and following a visit to Spalding on Sunday I must say how much I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again.

Well done to everyone concerned, by far the best layout overall, you must be very proud!

Iron Duke
Aha - might that explain how the 'Tracks Through Grantham' card came into my possession. Sorry if I missed having a catch up in person.

Next shows are Southampton (Jan 2020) and Leeds (Oct 2020). There are others in the diary and we've just had an advanced booking for as far ahead as May 2024(!) so layout will be around at exhibitions for some while yet. And still quite a lot on the 'to do' list (anybody fancy making loads of telegraph poles and gas lamps? :lol: )
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

We discussed ways to tackle the gas lamps in late August. Perhaps some test-pieces and decisions are required.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

Southampton sounds good to me as it's only a couple of hours away.

I shall have to get a shooting stick so I can park myself at Grantham and see how many locos I can spot.

I get the same sort of excitement when I spot a fresh loco, that I got as a very young trainspotter in the 1950's.

Earlswood Nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mrs. W, who provided tea, cake and occasional assistance all weekend, has passed me some pictures she took on Sunday morning.

Shedmaster Baz and I surveying things before the Great Unwashed were admitted. Sensibly, rather than believing the previous operator's notes, he's checking what's in each shed.

Round the back, visibly after kick off and Red Leader is homing in on the source of the electrical gremlin. We must be at or in the run up to Move 9 3/4 here as the Stirling Single is absent from the Nottingham yard. The Ambergate trip working (4 wagons) is ready to go alongside the much larger coal and Iron Ore empty workings. In the main yard the Mallard Test train is ready and the set which forms the Junior Scotsman has been reversed and is awaiting a run to Glasgow (I think).

Examination is becoming more intense. From here you can see 6246 on the coal empties with 2393, 2437 and 3416 awaiting their turn. Teak Set 5 is in it's starting formation (note the RF and BFK at the rear, that's the giveaway, which means the 13:40 KX - York and Ripon. Next to it the Scotch Goods, the handover road and then Set 4, which has clearly been to Scarborough and is now ready to go to Newcastle.

View from opposite my station. 6246 is a weathered Bachmann O4 and mine. 2437 is Roy's work, Heljan I believe, and 3416 behind is mine, bought built and refurbished. I bought it from Neil Ripley, but I don't know whether he built it. The magnificent 2393 is Mr. King's work.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Third picture nicely illustrates what a liability dangling "must be worn / visible at all times" lanyards can be for yard operators. I tried either throwing mine over my shoulder or holding it between my teeth at times so that I could keep up with the work without having the damned thing interfering with the trains.......

Lanyards may be better than traditional pin-on badges in some situations, but NOT in all.

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Badge and lanyard Graeme?

Either that or a tattoo on the forehead. Must not miss lunch.

Is that Roy behind Red Leader?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Lanyard was indeed an infernal nuisance all weekend. And no matter how many times I attend Spalding, I still can't get used to being an 'Exhibitior'.

That blur of activity behind RL is indeed Mr. Mears.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

JW,

Surely, there is not enough NE Area activity on Grantham, lovely to see the C7.

And what about GN Section excursions from Keighley and Halifax? It is raining. I'll get my ......still raining so the coat is already on!

I would still like to hear umpire Baz's explanation of the boundary off the bat in the world cup final. I was interested in John Holder's explanation on TMS.

Respect to Mr G. Leary on the latter subject. what a Gentleman.

Cheers,

John