"Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: "Grantham - The Streamliner Years"

Post by Tom F »

We need some updates over here too 'Robert'! :wink:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

A little while since any updates, this mainly due to the layout being packed away since Barrow Hill until a few weeks ago. But all back up and running again now and expecting a few visitors tomorrow. So a few pix below by way of a catch up:

The one item I have been working on is the turntable which is fully motorised and detailed.

(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
60129 GUY MANNERING

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Hello Robert,

just love the latest photographs, not least the view of Lee & Grinlings Wharehouse, I remember it so well from my youth soon after a War if I am not mistaken. :lol: To me it really screams out Grantham more than any other feature of the station area and your representation is spot on visually.
Lee & Grinling's splendid former malthouse, is still located adjacent to the River Witham to the East side of the railway. Though now converted into Apartments (Flats - mate ). I understand the architects main breif was to provide the ultimate in modern living whilst retaining as many features as possible of the history of Lee & Grinling's magnificent building.
I have to admit to my surprise and satisfaction they have achieved their objectives admirably, it is very impressive :D

Kindest Regards,Derek.

PS. With Friends like yours (2750 & 3279) ,I take it you also have enemies. :D
ROY@34F
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by ROY@34F »

Well said Derek. "Robert" has made a wonderful creation of Grantham, and it is a joy to behold, especially for us old hands who remember it, and were part of it; albeit in BR days.

Roy.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Excellent photos once again. I am beginning to see the station area, and it's trains, as a representation of how my father would have seen the real thing some 70+ years ago. It makes me quite misty eyed.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I have to agree with everything written about, the overall picture is all coming together now. Loco wise, I especially like that D2! 8)
Steve
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

This has probably been asked elsewhere, for which I apologise, but which transfers do you use for your locos? I ask as I have also produced a 2558 using Hornby parts and used HMRS transfers, but they have turned out nowhere near as clear as yours.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Manxman1831 wrote:This has probably been asked elsewhere, for which I apologise, but which transfers do you use for your locos? I ask as I have also produced a 2558 using Hornby parts and used HMRS transfers, but they have turned out nowhere near as clear as yours.
I don't think 'robert' will mind me answering this one, as I numbered and weathered 2558. I use HMRS on a Flying Fox donor which then had a coat of Klear added, especially as it was requested to be ex works.

Enjoyable day operating, about to start editing my footage from today. Probably be up tomorrow at some point.
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Morning all!

An enjoyable operating session yesterday at 'Grantham'. I didn't do as much operating as I could have....however I think Sir can forgive me as I was filming quite a bit of footage.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/f8PmlZaebSA
Tom Foster
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

2750 wrote:Morning all!

An enjoyable operating session yesterday at 'Grantham'. I didn't do as much operating as I could have....however I think Sir can forgive me as I was filming quite a bit of footage.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/f8PmlZaebSA
Great vid - highly enjoyable!
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I did a little bit of photography today while we were winding down. I expect there'll be more along shortly.

I found myself opposite the MPD looking at a pair of J39s:

And at almost the two extremes of LNER motive power of the time:

This one was taken because I thought I couldn't work out the control panel and was incapable of getting the train to move, so it kept me occupied while Robert came back to explain what I'd done wrong. Turned out the loco had failed (it had an intermittent fault all weekend).

We ran Mr King's ironstone hoppers and they were very much deserving of close attention:

They stand up to the cruelty of the closeup very well indeed.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Thanks all to kind comments over recent posts and thanks to several well-known members of this forum to their input over a very pleasant and productive weekend.

Yes, Derek, the Granary Warehouse is (was!) a very distinctive backdrop to many a photo of the south end so its inclusion was a 'must'. I must take a step backwards here though and offer my thanks and admiration to Paul Bolton who has very generously offered to take on the recreation of this and other buildings around the layout. Believe it or not, the model you see is a 'mere' mock-up at this stage (yes, honestly!); we were shown 'work in progress' of the proper version that he is currently working on.

I am hopeful that he will then 'move south' to work on reproducing the other granary building (the one that still exists in part - is that the flats to which you refer?) and also the Ruston & Hornsby works to give us a pretty comprehensive and continuous backdrop all the way down to the Great North Road bridge (where the running lines disappear towards the fiddle yard).
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Justifiable repetition of my comments elsewhere:

Gentlemen, and better-halves,

Home safely, fed/watered/cleansed, I now have time to return to the dreaded keyboard and my first duty has to be to say thanks to all, hosts in particular (without implication that others did not play their parts) for a most enjoyable, enlightening and absolutely stress-free weekend. Quite a contrast with the one that went before, whose horrors (rightly) lay outside the world of model railways. I feel thoroughly re-charged.

VERY nice video Tom.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thank you to Graham for the invite.

I had a very good day on Saturday, much appreciated.

I think it is going to take some time to turn me into an operator, not my strong point, but miracles may be possible.

John
Attachments
DSC_6695 alt crop resize.jpg
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Glad you enjoyed the visit John and thanks for posting the pic :wink: I think we know where we're going now in terms of coaching stock formations.