Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

Post by Robpulham »

Work progressed over the weekend with much of the available time being spent on fitting the roof which is now almost there. It's the first one of Ian's bow ended roofs that I have tackled and I am sure another would be much easier.

In between sessions on the roof I attached the battery box and prepared the V hangers for the vacuum cylinders. Not many words and not much to show visually either.

What is worth sharing visually, is that I did more work to one of the dynamos.

Starting from this, if you will forgive the repeat of an earlier photo.

And using this as my working example (this is one of the very nice Sidelines castings).

I arrived at this.

I am so pleased with the result that I plan to [s]rip[/s] gently prise the dynamo off the parcels coach that I am building for myself which just needs final details and painting and modifying it to the same spec.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Nice work Rob, I like reading your updates, love the work being done...

Pete
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Pete, it's kind of you to say so.

To quote a comedian whose name I cannot remember - "and there's more"

Last night I only had a little time at the bench and got completely distracted from the brake van by thoughts on vacuum tanks for the all third. I recently managed to get some really good underfloor detail photos from an LNER 3 compartment first at Stainmore railway. which included good shots of vacuum tanks and cylinders - They are on my Flickr site should anyone need them

This is where I got to, they still need much cleaning up and for the legs to be straightened/cut to length and I plan to solder them to some scrap brass plate to give an area to glue to.

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Robpulham wrote:
Jimmy Cricket

Couldn't stand him, so must be paying a penance for remembering that.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Dave S wrote:
Robpulham wrote:
Jimmy Cricket

Couldn't stand him, so must be paying a penance for remembering that.
Cheers Dave,

That really made me chuckle so I hope that it makes up for your pennance
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

A few days off has enabled further progress with the coach builds.

The roof for the BG is now complete.

The sides for the all third have had their T handles carved off and all parts are now joined together to make each side.

More work has ensued on the underframe of the BG but I haven't taken any photos yet - hopefully tomorrow.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

The promised underframe shots.

The observant will note that I managed to break of the tensioner...

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This weekend saw the bogies completed and primed. I had initially struggled to work out how to get the ABS Cavalier bogies together and an email to Adrian had him suggesting the addition of bit's of welding rod to strengthen them. Having discussed the matter with Don we agreed that if I couldn't get them together then I would use the Kirk bogies supplied instead.

Lo and behold when I looked again at them yesterday morning it all became clear and they were assembled in no time. There was minimal flash and I just had to file the ends of the bogie sides where they fit into the ends ever so slightly to remove a gap.

On the Newbould bogies shown mostly complete earlier I adjusted the springs that I had wrong to sit under the spring stops, then added the bolsters and the brakes. Both sets had a good wash and then a squirt with primer.

I will leave this until next week to harden completely before putting on the top coat of black.

Newbould 8' on the left, ABS/Cavalier 8'6" on the right.

Newbould 8'

ABS/Cavalier 8'6" - and of course I see from the photos that I need to add some handles to the axle box fronts...

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Don's coaches came on quite a bit over the weekend, to the degree that that BG is down to working from a check list of final details. - I will need to replace the lamp irons with something made of brass because the styrene ones are really vulnerable. Out of the 4 fitted one has come off completely and two more are bent and will snap off soon.

The all 3rd has it's roof cut to length and the floor in. Because the insides are effectively flat sided I have decided to add a false floor with the interior partitions and seats mounted upon it. I will then insert this from the top before fastening the roof on.

Here's where we are so far. Although it's not visible in the photo the roof has it's canvas covering on too.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I got a little more done on the All 3rd this weekend. - Sole bars, footsteps, battery boxes and queen posts all got fitted. I also did a bit more work on fitting the roof of the BG but there's nothing really to see. I also got the mounting brackets fitted on the dynamo but I forgot to bring it home for photos (not that it looks any different to the one that I did for the BG to be fair).

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This last weekend saw a little more progress on the Kirk coaches.

The seating is assembled for the all third and the roof made ready to fit.

Conversations on a few forums around how to attach the roof, have had the side effect of making me think about fitting passengers (which neither Don or I had considered/discussed). Due to me having already glued the floor in ( I won't do that on future builds) I was exploring unobtrusive ways that I might make the room removable.

Having consulted Don who agreed that we should make provision for the fitting of passengers. - Albeit not that many due to the decline of passengers using the line in Don's modelled period. I was still mulling over various ways of fixing the roof when I realised that the roof ends don't quite match the profile of the ends of the coach. This is due to the way that Ian makes them by vacuum forming. When I say don't quite fit I am sure that the discrepancy will be taken up by gluing the roofs on as originally planned. But if I attempted to screw them on in any way, I would be left with an unsightly gap at either end.

A bit more head scratching and looking at the way that windows fit I decided that I could make it so that the windows cannot be dislodged by handling (which was another fear of gluing the roof on) and that if I fitted some passengers before gluing the roof down, it would mean that Don didn't need to gain access to do it later.

I had some Slaters seated passengers to hand and they provided a welcome distraction and rekindling of interest,which I have to confess due to pressures at work was waning a little.

While the painting of said passengers (particularly the faces) isn't as good as some on here, I am pleased with how they have come out and they will certainly pass muster inside the gloomy interior of the coach once matt varnished.

If you wonder why they are sat above the box instead of on it, that's because I have inserted a length of plastic rod to enable me to old them while painting and and it will help in making them securely fastened to the seats when fitted.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

In between building bit's on the B16 I have also been slowly but surely painting the BG

I still need to glaze it and fit the guards handrails etc. but it getting there.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

In response to a query on the GOG forum I promised that I would take a photo of some Kirk sides that I needed to cut and shut and repair the beading on - The beading is Plastruct 0.8mm half round.

It looks like Ian has now run out of the colour pigment that he used to use to colour the LNER coach pieces because they came in white so I had to give them a quick spray to get them to show anything.

I have marked which beading I replaced with a red square. For some reason the top one picked up some much in the solvent (Limonene) which has made it look a bit ragged in the photo but I am sure that it will disappear once I apply the teak varnish to it.

Although it doesn't look it in the photo the base colour is orange.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Still ticking along with these, the seats are now at the right height. Next job a coat of paint and fitting the passengers.

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Robpulham wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 pm It looks like Ian has now run out of the colour pigment that he used to use to colour the LNER coach pieces because they came in white so I had to give them a quick spray to get them to show anything.
Not quite Rob. The batch of plastic (a metric tonne I recall I was once told) was that Ian originally purchased when he first started moulding umpty years ago. It only ran out recently and Ian though it highly unlikely that he would live long enough to use up another metric tonne, so he opted for the uncoloured raw material. It's a sort of white with a touch of translucency to it and does need a base coat to ensure that the finishing coats are consistent in colour.

At the present time stocks of Ian's carriage kits are in both colours according to when they were produced, but sensibly the same colour in each pack.