Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: Rob's 7mm Scale Coach Workbench

Post by drmditch »

Wood chisels are very useful, and my grandfather taught me how to sharpen them.
My workbench has both a Stanley knife and scalpel ready to hand. (Scalpel blades are cheaper.)
Current projects are using a lot of thin card, so a scalpel is easier to use, reserving the heavier knife for longer cuts.
Razor saws and hacksaws have the same kind of relationship, with a tenon saw ready for the heavier stuff.
I also have a lovely little cobblers hammer (I think) from my other grandfather.

I would love to get a small lathe - but that's some way away!

I'm full of admiration for people who have mastered lathes, milling machines, and laser cutters, not to mention CAD and 3d printers.

Perhaps I'm just lazy!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

notascoobie wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 am See you at the Donny show? Vernon
Hi Vernon,

Yes I am demoing my Silhouette Cutter on stand D4 if you get a chance to pop by.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi Rob,
I'll hope to see you there then. I'm going to be promoting the GNRS there.
Regards,
Vernon
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Regarding the use of wood chisels, for a good number of years I have used a sharp wood chisel to remove etched parts from the frets without distorting them and although I haven't used one for cutting windows out on buildings I do like the idea and will make use of it in future.

What I have done (before I sold it) was used a mortising machine to cut windows out.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Now, I've never even thought of that! I
don't think I've ever used the mortiser on anything other than a blind hole.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Whilst I understand the attraction of a sharp wood chisel for breaking tabs, it is not the best use of such an implement, due to the way
wood chisels should be sharpened, even in the modern high tech world of back bevels etc, the steel is really not designed for this kind
of work.

I have a 4 inch long metal workers cold chisel which along with Xuron cutters seems to work fine on the occasions that I use them both
the important thing is to have a decent surface on which to cut, like a cutting mat. Which is also useful for a rivetting machine.

Whilst I like the idea of using the sander, wonder whether a smaller one might be more effective and less scary, like a Proxxon for
instance?

Paul
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Best to use any form of chisel on a hard surface to prevent deformation of the etch. Ideally thick brass as a base, this can when needed be dressed with a file to remove indentations
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

This weekend saw the previous weekends efforts all come together.

The plan is to make the roofs removable by screwing into the base of the seats that are attached to the roof.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Looking good Rob, I really like your idea for attaching the roofs - if only that could work in N gauge....
Steve
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks Steve,

Although modelling time has been limited recently I have made a little more progress with the twins.

I was a bit remiss in not cutting out for the ducket while I had the sides in the flat but I managed.

We now have one of my silhouette cut duckets fitted. This in fact the second attempt because I was a bit heavy handed with polystyrene cement last weekend and the first effort just melted away - this one is stuck more patiently with limonene.

I had also prepped some scrap etch for the mounting brackets for the dynamos last weekend and I got those fitted too although from the photo one of them need a minor tweak to it's shape.

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

No photos yet but the twins now have roof vents and T door handles. They might have had grab handles too but I need to cut them off the sprue with my piercing saw and I didn't have it with me.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Having got the Beer wagons finished I don't seem to have much to show for recent modelling session until now.

Last weekend after teaching my car to swim in a flood or two I made some visible progress on the Kirk twins.

Rain strips fitted - very topical, step boards fitted both from Evergreen strip which comes in longer lengths than the equivalent Plastruct and is just long enough for the 51 footers. I am not sure what I will use for the 4 60' corridor coaches I have in the stash.

I also sorted out the articulation between the coaches and made top hat bush to set the centre ride height.

Now all I need to do ir remember where I put the turnbuckle castings for safe keeping after drilling them out and I can crack on with the remaining underframe detailing.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

All good fun, if it doesn't drive you mad.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 pm All good fun, if it doesn't drive you mad.
Oh yes!, at the minute it seems like the only sane thing in the country.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can see why you might say that.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.