Will's West Highland Workbench - K4s, J39s, D34, K2/2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Will's West Highland Workbench - K4s, J39s, D34 'Glen'

Post by will5210 »

earlswood nob wrote:G'day all

Well that brainwave was on the wrong wavelength.

The J39 boiler is too short short for the K4. The barrel/firebox is approx 6mm short and the smokebox 2mm short.
However, the J39 cab spectacle plate is the same as the K4.

Perhaps I could make an insert of a circle of 2mm plasticard for the smokebox and one of three 2mm sheets for the firebox.

Earlswood nob
Try and find a Hornby B17 boiler as per Graeme's original conversion would be my advice, or get some 23mm tube from Eileen's and get hacking :)
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Brainwave number two:

The B17 superstructures on Ebay seem far to expensive for me.
However, I have a some Hornby D49 boiler sections left over from conversions that I've started. I could make a correct length boiler/superstructure from those, remove the footplate and cab, and fix to the SEF K3 footplate & cab, using a J39 spectacle plate.

Another fine plan to add to my roundtuit file.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

See if East Kent Models are still on the go. Their price for a basic B17 boiler, or a complete un-decorated body was VERY reasonable. Ebay seems to be a very poor source of model railway bargains, but a rich source of cheap materials and general hardware if you look carefully enough.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all

I must have had a senior moment when I looked at the EKM lists and only read the China section.
As Atlantic says they are very reasonable, and I bought the D49/A1 bodyshells there.

A fresh look at the Margate list shows B17 bodies still available. I shall order one tomorrow.

Thanks

Earlswood nob
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

You don't actually need the entire B17 body - all you need is the boiler sub-assembly, and these are available separately.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Got a little bit more done on the K4 master but I've been distracted over the last few nights with a first attempt at trackbuilding.

I've had this old SMP Y point kit lying around for a while (since Manchester show last year actually, when I bought it for £3)

I thought a Y might be too complicated for a first attempt, so I printed off a B6 with templot & cracked on.
Construction wasn't completely straight forward. I really need another roller gauge & a pair of check guages but I've been holding back as I'm still undecided between OO-BF, OO-SF or even EM.

It isn't pretty & it'll never be used on a layout, but it seems to work & I will wire it up & connect it to a tortoise on a little test track to practice ballasting a few other bits.
ImageDSC02086 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Will,

That turnout looks really good - something that I've not plucked up the courage to try yet so I'm envious!

I really like how you're K4 conversions are coming along and I think they look every bit as good as the proving model built by somebody else on here.

Likewise with the Glen, I think that lining job looks the business. I feel that I'm lucky in N gauge as I can make a few slight of hand alterations to make my life lining easier without compromising the overall look of the model - not as easy to do this on OO where everything is much more visible.

Keep up the good work! 8)
Steve
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Atso wrote:Hi Will,

That turnout looks really good - something that I've not plucked up the courage to try yet so I'm envious!

I really like how you're K4 conversions are coming along and I think they look every bit as good as the proving model built by somebody else on here.

Likewise with the Glen, I think that lining job looks the business. I feel that I'm lucky in N gauge as I can make a few slight of hand alterations to make my life lining easier without compromising the overall look of the model - not as easy to do this on OO where everything is much more visible.

Keep up the good work! 8)
Cheers Steve,

the point wasn't too tricky in the end & I've learnt a lot about the building process & how pointwork actually functions. I've got neww 00-sf gauges coming from C & L today so I'll be having a bash at #2 soon with any luck.

Flushed with the apparent success of prototype point #1 I've been giving my layout plans some thought. Though I'd planned to build Ardlui first I couldn't resist trying to fit Crianlarich into my 16' x 9' loft area, as it's my favorite station on the West Highland & has just a bit more going on with the track plan.
ImageCrianlarich plan 10 by will5210, on Flickr

I then put this into Templot (not fun) & printed it out to see if reasonable sized trains would fit & if my station building would fit on the island platform. Good news!- The building fit & 7 coach trains should be feasible (or 2 'Glens' with 6).
It was pretty dark by the time I'd stuck them all together so the picture is rubbish, but hopefully you'll get the gist.
ImageDSC02108 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Finally got round to lining & christening the Glen. It is now No. 9258 Glen Roy. Numbers & lining are HMRS with a bit of very bad hand lining with a ruling pen (I need more practice with this!)
All will be eventually covered with a nice layer of grime as per a photo I've seen in a H.C. Casserley book.

I'll seal the lot in satin varnish tomorrow before final touches & weathering

Will
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That Glen looks really good Will. I wouldn't worry about the slightly wonky bits of lining, viewed as a whole it really does look the business! 8)

Good luck with weathering it, that's something I've not yet plucked up the courage to have a go at!

How go the short GST conversions?
Steve
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Cheers Steve. The D34 was a swine to build due to it being ancient but I learnt a lot from it & the end result is not too bad for a run-of-the-mill layout loco.

The tenders are still a work in progress. I have 2 bodies & a chassis ready to take a resin casting of, though I'm not sure if any are just up to scratch!
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

95% done. A bit of touching up, glazing, weathering & coal needed

Pictured with future partner in crime 'Loch Rannoch'

Will
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Very nice looking model(s)!
I've always been uncertain about the look of red lining in model form, but you've made it look quite tolerable.
I must have a try (eventually!)
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Well it's certainly less stressful to apply than full Apple Green livery so it gets a thumbs up from me! :lol:

I never look forward to lining though
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

That's a lovely model, excellent work. I hope I can get mine to look that good.

Cheers
Paul