Will's West Highland Workbench - K4s, J39s, D34, K2/2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Will's West Highland Workbench - K4s, J39s, D34 'Glen'

Post by jwealleans »

It's never going to be top of my list of nice looking engines, but that's a very good job from where I'm sitting.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auldreekie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by auldreekie »

Well. I LIKE the Reid 4-4-0s: I have fond memories of "Glen Arklet", "Adam Woodcock" and the "Laird o' Monkbarns" in their declining (but by no means defunct) years.

Somewhere in the depths, I have a representative of a "Glen" and another of a "Scott" built from Gem kits on the old whitemetal Gem replacement chassis. And a J83 and a J36 from the same stable. All must have been constructed 30 to 35 years ago.... And all, with the sole possible exception of the J36, are long overdue for a serious makeover on "proper" brass chassis.

So your example may prove a spur to making a start on this exercise. If so, it will be a complete dismemberment (of the kits!) and start again, I fear. I'm not sure what, if any, remedial action it would be worth taking on the coupled wheelbase. But some of your clever dodges, notably the tender coal rails, would definitely be well worth pursuing....

Please keep up the good work.

auldreekie
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good afternoon all
The GEM replacement chassis was 40mm wheelbase, as were many of his models and the Triang/Hornby L1.
Comet do a D49 chassis, which is the same wheelbase. You can buy the chassis frames separate from the Comet website.
I have a Comet chassis fitted to the GEM D21, which GEM made to fit the L1 chassis. The D21 should be 38mm wheelbase, but the splashers etc are for a 40mm wheelbase chassis.
I guess the GEM "Glen" and "Scott" models were made to fit the L1 chassis, so the Comet D49 chassis frames are a suitable substitute.
I have also fitted the Comet D49 chassis to a BEC D11 body.
Earlswood Nob
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

earlswood nob wrote: I have a Comet chassis fitted to the GEM D21, which GEM made to fit the L1 chassis. The D21 should be 38mm wheelbase, but the splashers etc are for a 40mm wheelbase chassis.
I have a D21 bought second hand which needs a new chassis (also needs stripping down), so that is very useful information.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Thanks for looking in & for your comments chaps!

On the subject of replacement chassis, I bought a loco drive D49 chassis to rewheel & use for the Glen, but elected to use the Triang chassis in the end as it's such a sweet runner. I'll probably use the D49 chassis for the next one.

Will
Will

My LNER 1930s West Highland Workbench
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
http://westhighlandmodelling.wordpress.com/
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all
I like your thinking, Will, as the "Glens" often ran as pairs on the West Highland. In my first ever school prize (60 years ago), there was a pic of the "Northern Belle" holiday train on the West Highland headed by two locos, which I now know as "Glens".

Earlswood nob
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

earlswood nob wrote:Evenin' all
I like your thinking, Will, as the "Glens" often ran as pairs on the West Highland. In my first ever school prize (60 years ago), there was a pic of the "Northern Belle" holiday train on the West Highland headed by two locos, which I now know as "Glens".

Earlswood nob
Yes they always look 'right' in pairs to me. I aim to have a K2/Glen combo too at some stage.

Cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Would I be right in thinking that the latest 4-4-0 RailRoad offerings from Hornby share common ancestry with models like the old Triang L1 or Hornby Compound (I mean the wheelbases and axles spacings)?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Manxman1831 wrote:Would I be right in thinking that the latest 4-4-0 RailRoad offerings from Hornby share common ancestry with models like the old Triang L1 or Hornby Compound (I mean the wheelbases and axles spacings)?
Yes 40mm (scale 10ft) with an extra axle slot for the GWR County which had a narrower coupled wheelbase at 34mm (scale 8'6")

cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Cheers for that. Think I might have found a useful alternative to the old GEM and Triang L1 chassis in that case.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Hi all,

I've made a start on lining the Glen with the bowpen. This is my first time using it on splashers so there's a few wonky lines but weathering will hide most of it. Still got boiler bands to do, but I'll do these flat on tape first, then cut & transfer them across to the loco.
ImageDSC02085 by will5210, on Flickr

Also made a start on K4 mk3.
All the detail have been seen before so I won't repeat at length. It's the K3 cab with the front cut out & replaced with plasticard with the correct shaped spectacles, & a brass tube boiler endlessly hacked, bend & filed 'til it looks something like - still loads to add though.

This cab & boiler won't end up as a loco, but as moulds for resin casting so I can reproduce the remaining 4 class members easier & quicker (hopefully) than the first 2, & fit them to K3 chassis as & when I pick them up.
My current thinking is to mould the dome as part of the casting, but fit the chimney & smokebox afterwards as separate parts.
ImageDSC02084 by will5210, on Flickr

Cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

You've just given me an idea, Will. I have an unbuilt SEF K3 that I picked up as part of a job lot at an auction, I might be able to build that as a K4.
I shall study my drawings.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

will5210 wrote:My current thinking is to mould the dome as part of the casting, but fit the chimney & smokebox afterwards as separate parts.
Extremely interesting work. If you need any input regarding resin casting techniques and materials I'll gladly offer the best advice I can. I think that separation of parts makes sense unless you want to find yourself immediately dealing with complex mould construction and a lot of tricky anticipation of how resin and air might flow in the mould. If you produce a good substitute boiler I could probably do with one to save me some extra work. The cab might be handy too if it works out well. although I might go for patching the front of a K3 cab that is already painted and lined...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Well that brainwave was on the wrong wavelength.

The J39 boiler is too short short for the K4. The barrel/firebox is approx 6mm short and the smokebox 2mm short.
However, the J39 cab spectacle plate is the same as the K4.

Perhaps I could make an insert of a circle of 2mm plasticard for the smokebox and one of three 2mm sheets for the firebox.

Earlswood nob
will5210
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by will5210 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
will5210 wrote:My current thinking is to mould the dome as part of the casting, but fit the chimney & smokebox afterwards as separate parts.
Extremely interesting work. If you need any input regarding resin casting techniques and materials I'll gladly offer the best advice I can. I think that separation of parts makes sense unless you want to find yourself immediately dealing with complex mould construction and a lot of tricky anticipation of how resin and air might flow in the mould. If you produce a good substitute boiler I could probably do with one to save me some extra work. The cab might be handy too if it works out well. although I might go for patching the front of a K3 cab that is already painted and lined...
That's kind of you to offer your advice - I'm sure I'll need to pick your brains at some point.
I'll probably start with the cab moulding to familiarise myself with the process, but I need to find some Lego first for a casting box.

I agree that patching the K3 cab front is easier but (for some reason) the rounded corners of the K4 really stand out as a feature to me!
10564190525_675111228f_z.jpg
10564331254_00d5aa8a45_z.jpg
Cheers
Will

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9293

My Blog