West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Dave »

One interesting point on the livery, it does say the teak paint is to be varnished.
Very nice model JASd17, and you have been very busy too JW.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Looking at the illustrations in Nick Campling's article on GN 4-wheel Carriage Trucks in 'Modellers' Backtrack' Vol. 1 No. 4 (Oct-Nov 1991) the ends with doors are treated the same as the sides, varnished as Dave says. That is another one I have got wrong, although I have subsequently built a NE horsebox with the ends correctly brown.

It is still possible there were variations between the different works, but clear examples are hard to come by.

I have a number of BZ passenger brake vans to do, I am not sure about the ends. Although as my modelling period is circa 1932, I might be able to get away with both 'teak' and black ends?

More on this Forum about the current topic here. https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... =15#p97600

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

More servicing and weathering today as the Lincoln/Newark show looms ever larger. Almost finished after detailing and fitting all the little gubbins in the bag, 2001.

I wanted this to look more 'in service', so the silver handrails have gone to body colour and the polished wheels toned down. I've also added a crew and Inspector (ModelU) - the assumption will be that it is working from Doncaster on test, or having one of young Mr. Bulleid's devices fitted or removed.

4482 has also been detailed, especially around the front end and weathered.

The D 303 6 wheel brake runs in the first configuration of Teak Set 5 and was used to carry laundry from the company hotels to York. You'd hope it's cleaner on the inside if it's bringing the clean washing back.

The 8 wheel brake was an Ebay rescue for which Dan Pinnock kindly provided the etched components.

Lastly some more coal wagons: more of the SC fleet and an ABS example which came in the haul from Middlesbrough last year. I painted it black to suit a set of transfers I had in stock, but they crinkled and disintegrated when I used them. Browsing the Powsides website, I came upon this company and the name just appealed. None of my volumes of Keith Turton's book cover them, so please don't tell me if they went bust or merged out of existence in 1864.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

With regard to your PO wagon, you are OK.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/news19/9351018x.htm

There was nothing about this firm in my Colliery Year Book for 1924. Although clearly trading then. The wagon appears in Keith Turton's Third Collection.

'Young Mr Bulleid'? He was born in 1882, Gresley was all of six at the time.

I do like the GN 6-wheel van.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, John. Googling turned up a whole load of shipping records, so I assume that was their primary activity.

I'm pleased with the 6 wheeler - the powders have caught in just the right places and though it looked a bit overdone when I first applied them, some rubbing with cotton buds has cut it back to an effect I rather like.

6 years younger? In that case he'll always be 'young' Mr. Bulleid.
Young_Grace.jpg
Young_Grace.jpg (7.31 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Re: Mr Bullied. Young enough to want to make an emergency stop on a fast fitted freight to see what would happen!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't know that story. What did happen?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am I don't know that story. What did happen?
To avoid distracting from your modelling, I've started a new thread ....here....
Now I need to get back to boring jobs like wiring the mid-level line on the new railway.
Hope the preparations for Newark are going well.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Duplicate posting.
Last edited by jwealleans on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Preparations for Linwark went well, Linwark went well and we're already looking forward to Ally Pally. I seemed to come away from Linwark with an unusually long casualty list this time, so as well as the usual servicing of mine and other stock I have a few repairs to work through.

Some are nice and easy. This became apparent when putting the stock away after the show. No sign of the nut, but a new one has been fitted and a lump of tacky wax used to secure it. That's my usual method and this one was either missed or not enough was used.

With around 100 wagons in the shunting stock, every show brings different combinations and I had been notified that the Kadee on the cattle wagon was too high. I set No. 2 son on testing all of them against the gauge and these three were found to be out of tolerance. All of them had a long coupling mounted in a NEM pocket, a method I stopped using some time ago. They have now been replaced with draft boxes secured to the underside with a self-tapping screw.

We have no idea what happened to this - I noticed the missing axlebox during the show, it wasn't found or handed in, but I think it's had a thump of some sort as it wasn't running very freely. The Bill Bedford springing units are usually exemplary runners and I found brake blocks in contact with wheels and the safety loops rubbing on the back of others, suggesting some kind of impact. Bit of judicious bending, new spring/axlebox from MJT and it's ready to be repainted.

Finally a couple of more involved problems. Something happened under the scenic break at the south end which caused stock to foul the underneath of the bridge and this wagon ended up on the floor.

It's the sort of thing which happens from time to time - as it's only the second I can bring to mind in almost 5 years, I don''t think we've done badly. I've started making up a pair of MJT brass wagon W irons, refitted an LMS buffer to replace the broken one and glued the roof back on (you can't see that it's almost entirely detached.

Finally, a loco failure.

One of my Tom Foster A1s and the rear driver is out of quarter. It's actually become mobile on the axle, so although it can be forced back to the correct position it slips again as soon as it's under load. Oddly enough the same thing happened to one of Mr. King's A1s as well. I'm going to have a go at it with epoxy resin first, but I've ordered another wheelset from Peter's Spares in case that doesn't hold it.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 pm
Finally a couple of more involved problems. Something happened under the scenic break at the south end which caused stock to foul the underneath of the bridge and this wagon ended up on the floor.

It's the sort of thing which happens from time to time - as it's only the second I can bring to mind in almost 5 years, I don''t think we've done badly. I've started making up a pair of MJT brass wagon W irons, refitted an LMS buffer to replace the broken one and glued the roof back on (you can't see that it's almost entirely detached.
Ouch! I neither saw that happen nor knew that it had done so. It's a good one for the layout's "chamber of horrors" if ever we create one. It reminds me of seeing the cab end of Red Leader's favourite Pacific, no tender attached, hanging off the end of the incomplete layout in the chilly chapel, prevented from falling only because the chimney had jammed under the South end road bridge as the loco started to tip. At the time it certainly reminded RL that he had left said loco on the rails after some previous track testing.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

jwealleans wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 pm I seemed to come away from Linwark with an unusually long casualty list this time, so as well as the usual servicing of mine and other stock I have a few repairs to work through.
Is this the cost of running a large railway in prototypical fashion?
I wonder what the real rate of damage to rolling stock over two days in 1937 would have been?

Broken drawbars anyone?

Obviously, few vehicles would be faced with a fall from such a (scale) height, but perhaps there might be even more shunting accidents? After all, a distinguished member of your team has admitted (in another place) to nearly jamming up the turntable pit for quite a time until the tool vans and/or crane could be mobilised.

It's tough on you through, having to be the C&W Department as well as the Loco Works. I am sure you will be able to effect repairs in your most competent fashion!
Last edited by drmditch on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

Is van 167453 an altered Parkside kit?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It is, John. Completed in October 2008 on page 8 of this very thread.
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Many years ago, 3 Aitch and Ian Kirk did plastic kits for this van. The former was the Doncaster version and the latter was the Darlington version - different style of corner plates. Jonathan's van is the Darlington version. Both were of their time but can still be picked up from E-Bay etc. The roof on the 3 Aitch kit is too short though. I built a few of these kits and have "upgraded" them by using ABS white metal axle boxes, brake gear, buffers etc. You can do both fitted and unfitted versions using these parts, if of course you can get hold of them now.