West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I well remember building a Three Aitch kit for that van in my mid 'teens and thinking that the inclusion of a roof not long enough to overlap the ends was a poor deal, since very limited pocket money had to finance my model making at the time.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

On we went last night: the messy job first, digging out underneath the van and thinning solebars enough to allow the rocking unit to do its stuff.

Many years ago, 3 Aitch and Ian Kirk did plastic kits for this van. The former was the Doncaster version and the latter was the Darlington version - different style of corner plates. Jonathan's van is the Darlington version.
Here is one I picked up at Middlesbrough show last year. It's been repainted but I shied away from trying to dismantle it to improve that corner as the plastic gets brittle. I thought this was a 3H one, but your post suggests it's an Ian Kirk.

Then I took a deep breath and pulled Night Hawk apart. I've had a number of suggestions for securing the wheel, so I decided to start with the least invasive and used Loctite. It's now back together and I'll give it a haulage test on Thursday.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

On we go - tonight I reached the box of carriages. It often surprises me that we don't damage these more as they are handled quite a bit during shows as trains are remarshalled. That is not a complaint. This time there was a bit to do, though.

The first job wasn't a repair, but the last of the end door covers which needed fitting on the outside carriage of a set. I was one short when I made these up and this one has been kicking about since I bought the MJT etch at Warley. BCK 42873 runs at the head of the 13:40 KX - Ripon (the first outing for Teak set 5) and in reality worked up to York.

42969 was one of the first two carriages I built for Grantham. It runs in every version of Teak Set 5, one of only two carriages which do so and in the course of the sequence therefore works to Ripon, Leeds and Newcastle. Somewhere in transit after Linwark it's had a jolt and the coupling had been badly bent against the side of the box.

41358, a D37A BTK (5) is the other vehicle which is ever present in Teak Set 5. It goes to Scarborough and Leeds (twice). I found a bolster rattling round in the boxes and traced it back to this bogie. The one from the other side had also gone, but luckily I had one in the spares box. While taking the photo I also noticed the missing glazing and commode handle hanging off, both of which have been attended to.

It's not immediately apparent from this side, but 4223 is one of the D 218BB BCKs built by the GN which had two coupe compartments, one for each class. The battery box on this side had come adrift but was soldered back without melting any seats. 4223 is the through carriage for Bridlington in the 13:40 from KX.
Last edited by jwealleans on Wed May 02, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I think the teak effect on your carriages does you credit, both close-to and as an overall view, in the Grantham sets.

Some lining to do, with discussion here and elsewhere perhaps?

Please be nice to 'Chuffer Davies' when you see him at Ally Pally, he is a Great Western man. Cannot be helped if you come from Swindon area I suppose. I shall be painting track, again, at Shipley tomorrow!

We are doing our best to convert him to LNER ways:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 5-clayton/

John
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Jonathan - the darker grey van above, No 89627, is definitely a 3H, you can tell by the end of the headstocks and the buffers.

Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, thanks, both. John, you're right, there is some lining to add. I've noticed that even following my incorrect lining instructions I've missed a bead on the BCK. Frank is coming to see us at Ally Pally, is he? Do tell him to make sure he introduces himself.

Andrew, I thought that van was 3H as it matches the opens I have very closely. I wonder whether Scottiedog has his Darlington and Doncaster mixed up?

Edited to avoid confusing Dave(s).
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

? me ? or another Dave...there are so many of us.

Great work JW, if you are free you can repair some of my older stuff, I pay well (Drachma's), it's the currency that going places.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

it's the currency that going places.
14512636-stainless-steel-sink-plug-hole-close-up-with-water.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Ah, no flies on you JW :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not much activity from me recently - I've been very busy with other things and to be honest wasn't terribly motivated. I have been fiddling on with the 6 wheel carriages for the Stirling Single, though, so here's where we are this evening:

The Compo is the most advanced of the set as it's the proving vehicle for the construction of all the others. Placed alongside the D & S D245, it looks to me as if it needs to go up about half a mil.

Mike Trice kindly made the ends and roofs of his 3D prints available as separate items, so I've used those as a timesaver. The ends here are scratchbuilt but the roof, balanced on top, is Mike's with no cleaning up at all.

Following behind on the stocks now is an XFL (is that right?) to D. 84. This has the laser cut sides, 3D printed ends, brass droplights (51L/RDEB) and a paxolin floor so far.

Pleasantly surprised to receive these at the weekend - not that they came, but I didn't think they'd be quite so quick. Looking forward to putting them together.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Surprised myself with another quite productive evening. Maybe things are looking up.

Lav First now on a rolling chassis and body attached.

Regular readers will know how I do these things, but for anyone who hasn't seen inside or under one of my carriages before:

Plastruct angle superglued to the end, with two captive nuts on a brass plate superglued to that. Holes through these and the Paxolin floor and countersunk 10BA screws holding body to underframe.

Underneath, solebars from 2mm x 4mm brass angle soldered along its length and stepped slightly out so the body sits on it. 14mm W irons from Comet (one fixed, one rocking) with the middle axle in the cradle which comes on the same etch and simply floating on a piece of .45 wire.

3 out of 7, posed in the order in which they will run. It's starting to take shape.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Coming along nicely Jonathan.

Am I right in thinking the two brakes will be Bill Bedford Dia 303s? Can you still get etches for those, noting he intends to produce resin versions?

Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Andrew,

That was the original intention. However when I spoke to Bill at S4N he indicated that as the resin version is forthcoming, he would not be supplying the etched one any more. He is reducing the amount of etching he does.

Mike Trice then came up with his 3D printed ones, so I have a pair of those to try. Although I've heard reassuring noises about the weight and puling power of the Single, the 3D ones will be lighter, so that influenced me to give them a go.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Those six wheelers are looking great Jonathan. That Bill Bedford GNR wagon looks interesting, any chance we can see what is inside the box?
Steve