West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Dave »

Great set of wagons, very nicely done.
Woodcock29 I too am waiting a reply from Dart Castings after a large order for LNER carriage bits were delivered to me at York show, Some items were missing awaiting restocking so only part complete, paid for the lot and was told outstanding items will be confirmed by email when they got back and the items posted on when ready.....emailed them a couple of weeks ago regarding progress....nothing, I expected better customer service, they are usually very good.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 pm Finally proof that I have been attending to the 6 wheelers - I took delivery of some of Mike's combined solebar and footboard units last week and here are the first pair fitted to the leading luggage brake.

Assuming you are using your copperclad floor concept I would be interested in seeing how you have put these together.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Here you go, Mike.
D303_uf_small_1.jpg
D303_uf_small_2.jpg
Two lengths of brass angle soldered each side then epoxy along the top of the solebar and on the angle.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Thanks. Will have to give it a try.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Despite the heat I've been struggling manfully on with the things I want to finish before the end of the month.

Pair of GN 7 plank minerals, now loaded.

Couple of foreigners: Ratio GW Macaw. I'm told this is a bit of a fiction, but I've ended up with four built ones and it just goes against the grain to chuck them.

On a GW Mite (I think - Adrian?) a Fordson N tractor.

I see that one of the rear tyres has pulled sideways - the epoxy must have been soft when I roped it down. Predictably it's now as solid as can be, so I'll probably end up painting the hub black to conceal it.

I put most of the details onto the BG - it's about ready for the next stage of painting.

That's allowed me to move on to the next vehicle, D 155 Composite No. 127. I would have detailed the solebar this evening, but when I was fitting the axlebox/spring units I found that the step had parted from the solebar at one end so it had to be reattached. Hence the big blob of solder you can see.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The weekend just past was spent preparing for the 1938 running session on Tony Wright's Little Bytham layout. Mr. King and I, along with other members of the Grantham team, were invited to fill the layout (which we did and then some) with appropriate stock. There will be a much fuller and better photographed overview on RMWeb, but here are my pictures from Sunday showing my and Graeme's stock, with some carriages and a loco by Graham Nicholas at the end.

View across the goods yard with a coal wagon which has come up from the merchant at Grantham. Something of interest in that barrel as well, it seems.

Closer view of the goods shed and that van has come all the way down from the North British - Ian Kirk, I think. The shunter has given that coupling a hell of a flick when he's detached it.

Looking slightly further left past the two empty cattle wagons, the shunter looks a bit puzzled as to what he's supposed to do with that van from which the local oiks have purloined the coupling.

That's a black mark for No. 2 son who was supposed to have been through all the stock checking for just that.

Down at the south end, an ex-NER G2 van and a David Geen tank wagon.

This would have more of a familiar look to those who took an interest, a Great Northern outside framed van.

From across the running lines, there's still no sign of that coupling (it's in a bag in my toolbox waiting to be assembled). I think this is the van which was dropped off Grantham at the last show and had to have fairly major reconstructive surgery.

A better view of the different roofs on the two allegedly identical LNER cattle vans and the other side of the goods shed. I don't know whether the Scammell is in period, but the road vehicles hadn't arrived at this point on Sunday morning.

Out photographer now recrosses the lines and looks up from the road somewhere towards Tony's house to some Engineers' vehicles in the Up refuge siding.

This is what he had in view - Lord Claud himself traversing the M & GN with what looks like quite an ordinary working for a celebrity locomotive.

Back across the lines and there's a CCT, LNER built from an NER diagram, in the Down refuge.

It was the O4 on a down coal which actually attracted his attention - we all know what locoholics photographers are.

Northward it trundled. Colwick still haven't got round to attaching the nameplates.

You can tell this was taken in Sir's absence - huge Kadee on the front and not a lamp in sight.

The coal having meandered out of sight, the last thing we see this evening is an Up stopping train slowing for its call at Little Bytham. Apart from the leading Gresleys, this could as easily be 1908 as 1938.

Finally a better look at the stock - Kirk Gresleys, then a Bill Bedford Howlden BC, Danny Pinnock CL (I think), D & S D. 183 BC, another Bill Bedford BT under the bridge and a D & S GN horsebox to complete.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Lovely collection of pictures, especially the GN 4-4-0 (D3 ??) Hope we can convert 'Sir' to ring in the change and leave the layout as LNER.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I trust the horsebox is empty?

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Morning JW. I note with interest the excessive number of LNER cattle trucks, which as we all know according too one expert did not happen,
are you going to correct this ?.
Otherwise great stuff.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

As all the photos are now Tony Wright's, i shan't be posting them here, but I hope everyone is following the Little Bytham 1938 thread on RMWeb.

Dave, you'll see from the photos that the inferior LNER cattle wagons have been parked up while the better pregrouping ones are actually running in trains. I hope that would meet with approval.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll just leave these here....

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Now that's gorgeous :D :D :D

manna.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Oooh, I do like a cruck-frame.

Nice engine too!

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

On the other channel, for Dave, all the pregrouping and foreign cattle wagons have turned up....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ?p=3257886