West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Dave »

Afternoon Jonathan, glad you are taking note on the cattle wagons....or we will let the pigeon out of the basket :wink: .

Being sensible, those little GNR carriages behind the single are superb, and on another note who's buffers did you use on your
NER F10 conversion.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They were 51L, Dave, the ones he supplies with his fitted NER vans. NERC028 look like the ones.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Cheers mate.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Here's something for the wagon fans... was getting thoroughly bored with 6 wheelers, so I awarded myself a little diversion onto this:

Palbrick B by Ian MacDonald ('Macgeordie' on RMWeb.).

What a joy of a kit to build. I've admired his creations for a while but not had any use for one before now. Being honest, I don't really have a use for this, but I have a weakness for Palbricks and I wanted an etched wagon for my display at Hartlepool Show. I'm sure I can find a layout to run it on.

I can't recommend it highly enough as a kit - outstanding instructions on CD with multiple pictures, parts which fit where they're supposed to, spares on the etch for the ones you're likely to mess up..... they should all be like this.

While i'm on, Mr. King and I will both be found at Hartlepool demonstrating all manner of resin wizardry (him) and getting stuff dirty (me).
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

That's a nice wagon JW.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Lovely Palbrick Jonathan, it certainly looks impressive and well designed. Wasn't there a build of this kit in one of the magazines recently? Will it be making a journey to Warley in November?
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you both. Steve, I have no idea whether one of the magazines has covered this as I rarely see them. It deserves to be publicised. It was built with the display stand in mind so yes, it should be coming to Warley.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

The "build" was in Hornby Magazine by Tim Shackleton and very informative it is to.
That looks a fine beastie mind, I really must contact Ian and order a couple together some of his other etched temptations...
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Iain, I knew I'd seen an article somewhere recently.

Jonathan, I really look forward to seeing it in the flesh then! :D
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll keep an eye out in case a copy lands at the club. I knew Tim Shackelton had been involved as he's credited in the instructions.

That rarity today, a day at the bench with little in the way of interruption. I caught up on quite a few odd jobs which had been piling up.

Mallard has been across the bench before, but this time it was terminal. We've brought in a replacement for the moment and I stripped it down today. The motor was all but seized, it took quite an effort to turn it. No idea what's gone wrong but the high mileage these locos run will be at the back of it. I had another in an A3 chassis I had for a future project, so that's been substituted.

The G5 which works the automatic shuttle on Pilmoor had unscrewed a crankpin. I've Loctited it back in, but it's very sloppy in the threads and there's oil all over it as well. It may need a more serious strip and remake if the Loctite doesn't hold.

A couple of wagons I acquired from Honest Tone of Little Bytham at Ely show, which needed refurbishment. The Longfit, I think from NuCast, had to be stripped and rebuilt completely. I'm looking at what to do about the 'Return to' lettering, which isn't on the HMRS sheet or easily made from it. i think I may end up darawing it up myself.

The trestle has just had a repaint and some extra detail added. I'm not terribly familiar with the kit or the prototype and photographs seem a bit thin on the ground.

Finally, I noticed these at the Shipley show last weekend. Without having checked photographs they look very close to the equivalent LNER containers - as they should, they were all designed to an RCH drawing. A repaint may be in order if I can print yellow lettering of sufficient opacity.

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I've also had dealings with Honest Tone, a very dodgy chap, my advice is beware, he's after your wallet you know, but smiles at you at the same time.

I like the G5, good stuff as always.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Further to my post above about these containers, I reckon that with a small amount of modification they can be readily adapted to an LNER diagram 5 container from 1929.

John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom Transfers) has posted this on RMWeb this morning:

Prompted by my recent purchase of A-type containers from Bachmann and Unit Models, I have now produced a new sheet of transfers for these two models to suit the BR crimson and maroon liveries :-

Sheet BL177 - BR, ex-LMS & ex-LNER A-type containers to Diagrams LMS 7 & 20; LNER 5; & BR 3/001.

Designed primarily for the A-type containers produced in 4mm. scale by Bachmann and Unit Models, this sheet of transfers will also be applicable in other scales. Yellow lettering for crimson / maroon containers; 21 sets of transfers.

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. & 4mm. scale price is £7.50; S scale price is £15.00; 7mm. scale price is £22.50; Gauge 1 price is £30.00.

Full details can be found at https://www.cctrans....uk/products.htm .
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Beautiful.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Excellent. Full of admiration and hope to see them for real sometime.
(Could one ask if Picture No.4 shows a special device for re-keying chairs?
Or key removal depending on direction of travel!)