West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Double insomnia this morning?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You're not wrong. I need a set of Catering Car instructions to help me nod off.....
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Antipodean sleep pattern..........quite normal. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

What a great tray-ful Jonathan - thank you for posting, it's made a very nice start to the morning! :D
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have to say, as lockdown and the after effects have dragged on, I have found my motivation to do any modelling flagging somewhat. I am busy elsewhere which doesn't help, but it has sometimes been a chore to finish things off with no prospect of being able to run them anywhere.

I was very pleased, then, to be asked to visit and operate on Scottiedog's new project, Ingleby. This has been built in a disused office space and although it's been on the stocks for some time it has turned out to be very suited to socially distanced operating - two in the well and two outside in a spacious room. Mr. Jobling of this parish and I visited a couple of weekends ago and I have been back for another short session since.

It's not massively complex - a twin track terminus with an end-on junction to a branch line, so two roads at one end of the circle and one at the other. It makes operating a bit more demanding than simply running trains round and round. There's also a goods yard behind the station which is where I spent most of my time. Dave was good enough to let me bring some of my own stock, much of which had not been run before. It is very much work in progress still, but as we have run it up to now is set in the earlier years of BR.

Pictures aren't in any real order, but I've tried to concentrate on the areas of the layout which are scenically more advanced.

This is the entrance to the goods yard with the Q6 behind passing from the branch to the twin track section.

As the Q6's brake van passes, a goods is being shunted from left to right, out of the headshunt and into the yard proper, first placing the van into the stub road by the shunter's bothy.

The guard can go and have a brew while the rest of the train is sorted out. The van is a repainted Hornby.

View from the other side of the lines as a goods train moves into the headshunt.

While the photographer's over that side, some passing container traffic and a look over the wall into the goods yard

DMU in the bay in a break between trains.

Finally a walk round the yard in between wagon movements.

I think both these wagons are Bachmann, repainted and detailed.

LMS meat van from Cambrian, LNER van from Bachmann.

The salt van is Bachmann (or possibly Mainline), again detailed. The Flatcase is ABS and the steel open Bachmann.

These are two of the LMS steel van variants I produced over the summer. Both Cambrian kits (the same kit).

Two Bachmann Palvans nearest the camera the another LMS van - I think that one's Ratio.

Bachmann mineral nearest the camera, don't recall what kit the next one was and then an Airfix with a PD French mineral behind it. No bottom doors on that, someone will be playing hell that it's ended up up there.

I should mention this; I'm not a diesel modeller as regular readers will know, but I hope I can recognise quality modelling and this Sutton Locomotive Works Type 2 is certainly that. What a superb piece of kit, both in looks and performance.
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

jwealleans wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 pm Refrigerated and insulated vans continued in use into BR although much traffic did switch to containers. Tatlow has figures, but the NER vans would have been rare after the war and I don't believe any of the H & B ones made it that far.
Thanks Jonathan.

I wasn't sure to what extent the Tatlow figures reflected extant vans as opposed to those actually being used in these sorts of workings with a reasonable number of refrigerated vehicles/containers. Certainly for my area of interest they are not at all well photographed.

Simon
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

Very good to see photos of Scottiedog's new project, maybe one day I will be able to have a look!

Thank you,

John
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice looking layout, hope to see more later, Go Scottiedog. :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

Jonathan,

Thanks for posting the photographs. All being well I’ll see you and Dave for another operating session on Saturday. As you have said Ingleby is very much a work in progress and there is still much to be done on the scenics which of late has taken a back seat as we seem to be spending more time running trains.

The J72 has been into the workshop and now has 3 link couplings.We shall see how it performs shunting the goods yard on Saturday.

John,

When it is safe to do so you will be most welcome to visit.

David
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 pm I have to say, as lockdown and the after effects have dragged on, I have found my motivation to do any modelling flagging somewhat. I am busy elsewhere which doesn't help, but it has sometimes been a chore to finish things off with no prospect of being able to run them anywhere.
It's very good to see what has been achieved by a skilled modeller who has clearly addressed himself to the situation, but like you, I don't feel as if I have had the time and inclination to get many things done. That's despite being rid of the "day job". Tidying up the affairs of that business, the opportunities afforded by summer weather, a huge backlog of general DIY jobs, and the feeling that in current circumstances other things might have been of more importance than modelling all seem to have limited my progress....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

That was a good day out with you and Dave. Looking forward to playing this Saturday.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 pm I have to say, as lockdown and the after effects have dragged on, I have found my motivation to do any modelling flagging somewhat. I am busy elsewhere which doesn't help, but it has sometimes been a chore to finish things off with no prospect of being able to run them anywhere.

I was very pleased, then, to be asked to visit and operate on Scottiedog's new project, Ingleby. This has been built in a disused office space and although it's been on the stocks for some time it has turned out to be very suited to socially distanced operating - two in the well and two outside in a spacious room. Mr. Jobling of this parish and I visited a couple of weekends ago and I have been back for another short session since.

These are indeed very difficult - and totally unprecedented - times Jonathan, so it's entirely understandable that they should have an effect on us. Good to see these photos - great to know things are still able to happen! Nice looking layout and rolling stock, very much enjoyed looking at them :). My own (much smaller) layout is at a roughly similar stage of construction, with some areas under scenery, some still bare baseboard, but like you show us here, that needn't stop the trains running...
I particularly enjoyed the chained containers and the interesting looking wagon loads!
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Chas, I thought I'd replied to your post but it seems to have vanished into the ether. You'll find a number of the interesting wagon loads on the thread for Dave's previous layout Stainsby which is on this forum. I know he acquired a number of them from Duha when they were more readily available. They seem to have disappeared more recently.

I've been fiddling on with this and that since I last posted. On a whim last Sunday i pulled a kit at random from the wagon box and came up with this. I can't remember when I bought it, but it was a while ago, before Bachmann thoroughly torpedoed it. I have two and frankly after building this one I shan't be in a hurry to build the other. What an awful kit.

I posted it on a Facebook wagon group I'm in and the unanimous verdict was the same. Not many who'd tried to build one had managed to complete it and one or two threw it away in disgust. Nonetheless if you don't look too closely it does resemble what it's supposed to be.

This week and next we're isolating, so I thought a proper project was called for. I've had this since about Easter and all the additional bits from Dart Castings came just as the first lockdown started.

This is a Masterclass Models D210 twin. Chris Higgs posts on RMWeb and was kind enough to make me up the etches after I messaged him. They're clearly quite closely modelled on the MJT approach and recommend mainly MJT parts for completion. I'd ordered those after the etches landed on the doorstep.

I'd also ordered the Isinglass drawing, which is all but indispensable, especially when dealing with a prototype you don't know well and a new manufacturer.

I've taken my time with this; there are no instructions but it's designed to be built with a removable roof and the rest of the body and underframe as one unit. I don't like that, so the first vehicle has been a bit of an experiment to make it split at the solebar. I think what I've arrived at will work for the rest of it, so it's on to adding the remaining detail now. With all the interior partitions soldered into place it makes a very sturdy assembly indeed.

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

And is this looking for a slot on the Grantham roster as well as all those Howldens?

Can't you build a wagon or two for a change ...
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, it wasn't, but since you've suggested it.....