West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Time I brought this more up to date: F6 now painted and pretty much ready for weathering once the glazing's gone in.

It's been a it of work getting the running as I'd want it: on test, it kept stalling for no apparent reason. What I eventually decided was the issue was that there was no vertical movement in the rear axles and they were lifting the drivers off when the trackwork undulated slightly. That's now been rectified and we're as ready as we can be for Ely - which will be the moment of truth as that's the layout it has to run on.

I resurrected this ABS hopper which has been on the corner of the workbench since, somewhat embarrassingly, 2013. It was missing parts of the brakes, especially the levers, when I reassembled it from a second hand job lot which had come my way. I've had my eye out for the appropriate ABS parts ever since, but Mark Tatlow has now made what i needed available as a nickel-silver etch. I picked one up at S4N a couple of weekends ago.

The etch is designed for the Slaters kit and as yet there are no instructions, so I can't comment on how well it works with that kit. It's certainly done what I wanted here, as a representation of the brake gear and the very prominent levers. I now need to wait for the filler to set in the huge handrail holes someone had made and then put proper ones in.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Very interesting JW, as I'm building a train of Slaters hoppers.

To add a little variety, I was thinking of trying to construct the end brake from nickel silver strip, but now Mark Tatlow is producing etches for variants of brake levers and W-Irons.

The levers look good on your model, so I'll give them a try.

Now to spend bank holiday building fish vans which will encourage me to finish the Millholme B5, which lost it's drivers to another project.

Earlswood Nob
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I have not tried my etch yet, so I will pick your brains when we meet today. I don't have one of his hoppers, what's the interior detail like.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re the Hopper etch.

It maybe the picture but the whole layout of the etch seems to be very flat ? The Brake shoes appear to be a long way from the wheels and inline with the front of the axleboxes , as does the rest of the etch , other than the brake handle ?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You're right, Mick and that was why I was careful to say that I hadn't used it for its intended purpose. The brake shoes are a double thickness etch but they had to be slightly forward of the wheels so as not to foul them and the strongest place to practically attach them is the back of the axleguard. I haven't looked at how it fits onto a Slaters kit, but it's better than nothing at all on this one. Once it's painted and weathered and in a rake of others it won't be so noticeable.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks, a good idea.

I have a similar problem with some LMS Tube wagons with no brake mouldings , no idea at the moment how to do them , it seems daft to buy new Parkside kits just for the brake moulding and then throw the rest of the kit away. Anyone got spares please ??
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

mick b wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:25 am Thanks, a good idea.

I have a similar problem with some LMS Tube wagons with no brake mouldings , no idea at the moment how to do them , it seems daft to buy new Parkside kits just for the brake moulding and then throw the rest of the kit away. Anyone got spares please ??
If they were incomplete Parkside kits why not e-mail the Peco Technical Bureau asking if they will supply? It will be a good test of the new owner's ability to deal with such matters. I have a couple of recently-purchased (after the transfer to Peco was finalised) 7mm kits that are similarly deficient in small parts that I need to sort out.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Good idea , I will post any reply .
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It must have been a year ago when I spoke to the Peco representative at York show on the matter of spare sprues. He said they would be available, but not in quite the straightforward / immediate way that Parkside Dundas had done things. Peco HQ would have to request them from the factory that deals with Ratio etc, who would then include them with the next scheduled (or convenient) use of the relevant moulds.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:54 pm It must have been a year ago when I spoke to the Peco representative at York show on the matter of spare sprues. He said they would be available, but not in quite the straightforward / immediate way that Parkside Dundas had done things. Peco HQ would have to request them from the factory that deals with Ratio etc, who would then include them with the next scheduled (or convenient) use of the relevant moulds.
Thanks - that's better than a flat 'no' then :) If it's likely to take while perhaps I should submit my request sooner...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Peco response

£3 per sprue 2 per wagon needed @ £6, not really viable might as well buy another kit only a £5 more inc the wheels !!

Sorry JW for writing all of this on your thread !!
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

The news about spare sprues is good.
All I want is body parts and lots of them...
Do you order them direct frae Peck mind?
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The information about Parkside sprues is useful - having built two conflats with alternative chassis, i could now use two more bodies to use the BR chassis under. On the last lap with stock for Ely show now - mainly containers as I don't think we have had enough. These are the low hanging fruit from the batch as I didn't have to wrestle with any chains to complete these. That pleasure awaits this week. I'm also weathering other completed stock as I do batches so they can go into the boxes ready to travel.

The General van has been seen before, a find at Middlesbrough Show a couple of years ago. The Parkside van was in a job lot and was bought for use as a weathering prop. On a whim I sorted out the (missing) brake gear and added better buffers and here it is. The chips in the roof are nowhere near as noticeable with the naked eye.

Traders labels have been a feature in pictures I've been looking at and one has found its way onto here too.

The two opens are for some variety; the steel high was another exhibition rummage box find which tidied up adequately and the LMS one I built. Bits and bobs of tidying up to do, I see - it's remarkable what the camera sees, isn't it?

Just a mention of Ely Show, for anyone close enough to be able to visit - May 18th in Ely (Community) College, Downham Road, CB6 2SH. Go to http://www.elymrc.org.uk/ and follow the 'Exhibition' link. Buses run from Tesco (by the station) and the show will feature the first publicv appearance of the new layout Wickham Market, featuring much of the stock that regular viewers of these pages or those who saw Thurston in its later years will know well. Do make yourself known if you do visit - I generally seem to spend the morning out in the car park, but I have been promised some time behind the layout as well.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Jonathan,

Shame that you are not modelling in 7mm - new kit just announced by Jim McGeown ('Connoisseur'): http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20 ... 0LNER.html

:D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

About wrapping up the wagons for Ely Show now; there are a few which won't make it, but they'll be new wherever we next take the layout. Containers are a right faff, being honest, but I really can't abide seeing them rolling round on wagons with no evidence of anything holding them on.

I've adapted the method of making the chains and gone more along Geoff Kent's lines. They're certainly more robust and as a bonus easier to make.

Brake van now has a guard from Monty's. Better sort some lamps out as well, Sir's in attendance.
Last edited by jwealleans on Sun May 05, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.