West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

The GE coaches really show the effort made getting them detailed. I would live to watch a rake go by and count the differences betwixt them!

Cheers for showing us them

Will
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

These look really good. I built a D&S GER 4 wheeler, not enough GER stuff out there if you ask me. Good job!!
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, chaps. I hope to extend these into a full rake - Allen Doherty does etches for a composite and Bill Bedford does a full brake. I think a set of 5, similar to the Gresleys I did, would look good. Just don't hold your breath ....
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Thanks, chaps. I hope to extend these into a full rake - Allen Doherty does etches for a composite and Bill Bedford does a full brake. I think a set of 5, similar to the Gresleys I did, would look good. Just don't hold your breath ....
I do the following GE Coaches

BCK0709 D.120 RFK
BCK0710 D.121 FK
BCK0707 D.18 RTO
BCK0705 D.235 CK
BCK0702 D.26 TO (LNER Built)
BCK0708 D.39 RB
BCK0704 D.419 TK
BCK0703 D.527 BTK
BCK0701 Full Brake
BCK0700 Milk Van
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Am I right in thinking, Bill, that the full brake is to the same 50' panelled outline as these? I intend to order one up later in the year to run with these.

I also fancy one of the clerestory CLs - are you still doing that? (It's on my copy of your list).
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Am I right in thinking, Bill, that the full brake is to the same 50' panelled outline as these? I intend to order one up later in the year to run with these.
Yep, the full brake is panelled to match the other 50' coaches. It's also, unusually, has a corridor.
I also fancy one of the clerestory CLs - are you still doing that? (It's on my copy of your list).
I've not drawn this yet, as I only have had a couple of orders for it, another order may yet inspire me........
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

In that case please consider it ordered. I'll put that through in writing along with the full brake.
rob

Post by rob »

Hi Jon and Bill,
Being quite incompetent on coach Dias and classifications,what exactly IS the Clerestory CL (composite locker?)and is it corridor etc?I might be tempted too!
Cheers,
Rob
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

rob wrote:Hi Jon and Bill,
Being quite incompetent on coach Dias and classifications,what exactly IS the Clerestory CL (composite locker?)and is it corridor etc?I might be tempted too!
Cl == Lavatory Composite, but it has a locker too!

Photo and drawing on pp108/9 of Campling's Historic Carriage drawings Vol1
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Hi Rob,

The CL stands for Composite Lavatory. I am not quite sure about the GE design but later Gresley and Thompson built CL's had the toilets in the middle of the coach with access to them via half corridors down one side of the coach so that both classes, first and third, had access to toilet facilities.

Clerstory coaches are coaches with a raised central portion on the roof which usually had windows in so that extra light could be given into the coach. An example of a clerstory coach is the GN directors saloon based at the Bluebell Railway;

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Bill and Karl-and I actually have Campling so I'm looking at it now-its non-corridor so no struggle with lining those elegant GER panels,Fox bogies I think so available,odd,only one ventilator visible,they must have been mobile saunas!I would take a crack at one of these Bill if you do get around to it-like Jon,you can take it as an order from me as well,PM on the way.Cheers!
Rob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Took the GE coaches to Sutton Coldfield show this weekend and was pleased to find that they ran trouble-free all weekend. Here they are on their native heath, so to speak.

What else could you put at the head of a train like that?

I've enjoyed building these, am very pleased with the result and I'm looking forward to putting the rest of the rake together.
Last edited by jwealleans on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by 45609 »

Hi JW,
The coaches look really good. You should be pleased with them. It is always satisfying when they behave themselves. Nice to see a bit of the layout as well. I thought about a trip up to Sutton Coldfield over the weekend but couldn't make it in the end. :(
Cheers....Morgan
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Very nice J ,any more pics?

Mick :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks Morgan and Mick. We didn't take many photos and those we did were mainly for a new display detailing the locos we use on the layout.

If you'd like to see more of the layout, try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP0m9lwUcxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-qqE-c13tk

You can also see us at Kidderminster, Morgan, though I'm not sure whether that will be next year or the year after.

If you'd like to see the loco shots I can post them in a new thread? They're not strictly all LNER and one is a diesel, but they are (almost) all correct for 1950s GE section.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.