West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Bit of progress now our visitors have gone home. F6 coming on - most of the details are there now, just boiler handrail, brake rigging, sandpipes and a few fine pipe runs and then I'll be cleaning up and trying to see what I've missed. This is the more interesting side:

I still haven't worked my current fascination with Private Owner wagons out of my system. The Oxford 'Rickett' wagon is one I find hard to resist, but you need some variations on a theme.

These are both Oxford - the one on the left renumbered, the one on the right repainted and lettered using Powsides transfers. These were an especially tricky set to apply as the shading was on a separate sheet to the letters. I spent a couple of afternoons over the Christmas holidays doing them. There are also no spare number or different tare weights on the sheet, so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Here the one on the left is Oxford with a London plank added, the one on the right is an Ian Kirk kit.

Finally the D. 1/112 mineral i put up a couple of weeks ago, now finished, weathered and loaded. This is still a fairly new wagon at the time the layout is set, so it's dirty but not too scruffy.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice set of pictures, Like the F6, but do you know where 'Ricketts' was based in London ??????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I didn’t, but a bit of Googling turned up Bexhill. They were quite a large concern at one time. I’ll see what Keith Turton says tomorrow.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you Jonathon, I never thought to Google them :oops: So I wonder if they would have come to Hornsey/East Goods, then gone down the Drain !!.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

manna wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am G'Day Gents

Nice set of pictures, Like the F6, but do you know where 'Ricketts' was based in London ??????

manna
See Bill Hudson's Private Owner Wagons, Volume 1 (Revised), Plates 86 and 87.

In 1930 Rickett, Cockerill & Co. Ltd., London claimed to be the biggest distributor of house coal in London and the Home Counties. Together with associated companies they owned approx. 180 distribution depots, 4,500 railway wagons, 500 horses, 140 motor and steam lorries and 1,000 road vans. Principal London locations noted include:

MR: Finchley Road, Kensington High Street, Peckham Rye and Somers Town;
LNWR: Devons Road, Camden and Worship Street (Broad Street);
GER: Mile End and Stratford;
GWR: Paddington High Level.

Were coal contractors and factors over most parts of the country, coal coming from Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire fields and also wagons travelling as far as Staffordshire, Midlands and S Wales.

Most wagons survived and passed into NCB ownership; one from the first batch seen at North Gawber Colliery, Barnsley, in 1978. Chas. Roberts, Wakefield, builder's plates appear in the two examples photographed, both have the slightly reduced height plank over the side door cut to 'London' dimensions - there being a premium rate payable for manually lifting coal over a certain height.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 pm I still haven't worked my current fascination with Private Owner wagons out of my system. The Oxford 'Rickett' wagon is one I find hard to resist, but you need some variations on a theme.
Locally, Moy was the East Anglian coal merchant - you really should have a few as there would have been a sales office at Framlingham...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There is an ex-Moy in the coal train.

Last edited by jwealleans on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for that, very interesting, amazing how some very big companies just dissapeared with the changing of time, who would have thought that ICI would vanish.

manna
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Eccentric Romfords? maybe you need some springs in there...
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They're W & Ts, Bill and there's just one I can't get square on the axle. I am going to have to take it off and have another go, the rolling road was letting it flap all over the place.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A little more cleaning up, touch of filler under the dome and it's ready for paint. Please tell me if you see anything I've missed - I've already seen some more sanding operating rods on a photograph I found yesterday and the vent on the front of the cab might just need beefing up.

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Looking good Jonathan. My only comment is that the brake rodding looks to be too high and not quite straight...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, '47. The 'bit high' is determined by the Gibson brake shoes, which may be a bit generic. i've tweaked them down a bit. 'Not quite straight' is going to be a problem with this loco as it's very hard to pick it up without gripping (and bending) them. Something to be careful of.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Less risk of the brakes fouling any unfortunate trackside projections above rail level anyway. If the rods were lower they'd been that bit more exposed to crushing by heavy handling too. Once the initial phase of hyper-scrutiny passes I doubt that many will notice the discrepancy.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.