West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Chas Levin »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm Fox have now done some sheets at the correct size.
Brilliant - I didn't know about these, thanks Jonathan, have to see what they're like too :)
Chas
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:30 pm All the HMRS 4mm lettering transfers are too large. Mike Trice has advised them of this, but there seems to be a great deal of inertia when it comes to transfers. Fox have now done some sheets at the correct size.
Hi Jonathan,
I was really interested to read your post but I can only find GNR loco transfers on the Fox website. Can you give me a steer please?
Cheers,
Vernon
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

This is the only GNR/ECJS HMRS sheet I know of.
https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers/gnr-ecjs- ... 50473.html

There are 3 sheets for LNER
https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?p=2& ... group=6540
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning Vernon,

I should perhaps have qualified that I meant LNER transfers - the sheets I have all begin FRH4320. I used them on the triplet I did for Jesse last year and thought they looked OK. Their gold is a lot lighter than the HMRS version, though, so I'm still working my way through my stock of those at the moment. I don't seem to have any pictures of it to hand - I'll edit some into the post later.

Edit - I have also sent off a request to Steam and Things. I'll let you know how that progresses when it does.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dave S wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 pm This is the only GNR/ECJS HMRS sheet I know of.
https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers/gnr-ecjs- ... 50473.html
Unavailable in 4mm scale? Also not inspiring great confidence looking at the disorganization of the characters mid-way down the far left side of the sheet shown in the image.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Jonathan what have you requested from Steam and Things? Is it something LNER as I don't think Robert has done anything actually for LNER period so far.

Andrew
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:31 am Morning Vernon,

I should perhaps have qualified that I meant LNER transfers - the sheets I have all begin FRH4320. I used them on the triplet I did for Jesse last year and thought they looked OK. Their gold is a lot lighter than the HMRS version, though, so I'm still working my way through my stock of those at the moment. I don't seem to have any pictures of it to hand - I'll edit some into the post later.

Edit - I have also sent off a request to Steam and Things. I'll let you know how that progresses when it does.
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping something for GNR carriages might come along shortly. The HMRS ones are too big and the Steam and Things ones are very sparse in the wording on the sheet.

Cheers,

Vernon
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That ECJS sheet is most certainly available in 4mm as I used it for the 1938 stock.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So it is. I failed to see it earlier, not noticing that the sheets were listed in alphabetical order of company name rather than being grouped by region and period.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Hi all, I asked Steam and Things about further custom GNR/LNER lettering and it isn't quite as easy as I'd assumed: new GNR lettering cannot in fact be produced from the existing artwork, it would have to be produced from scratch. And they don't have any LNER artwork or experience with that style. He suggested sending him pictures, drawings etc with a view to assessing what work would need to go into producing new lettering and he would then be able to give an idea of cost.
I am going to put together some material and send it to him to see what he thinks, but as a second string to the bow, does anyone know whether Fox might be able to produce new wording based on their existing lettering?
Chas
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Chas
I'm not surprised you got a response something along those lines.
I'm planning on preparing a pdf file with photos of LNER lettering from preserved coaches (examples I think are correct). Plus a drawing of the sides I want lettering for plus photo of the real thing. Hoping this will be sufficient?
I'm expecting it to be expensive compared with off the shelf stuff. I had some etches done some years ago and they were very expensive for what they were, but I only supplied a hand drawn diagram not CAD.
Andrew
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

It looks to me like the font for the LNER lettering is the same as the GN but of course the shading is different - is this correct?
Does anyone have a photo of the GN Hound Van in LNER livery?
Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, we're back in business. Soldering complete and I'm down to gluing bits on here and there. it might even be painted this weekend.

I had no roof ribs so I made some from 40 x 30 Evenrgreen. They ought to be T section, I believe, but looking at the ones on the MJT roofs I've built, you can't see the undercut once painted so the strip will be a stronger job.

I'm blaming droopy buffers on the extreme heat in the workshop preventing the 'poxy setting as quickly as it's supposed to.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Is it just me, or does the pic of the end with duckets look like the BFG?

great work as usual, looking forward to the paint
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Lovely work, Jonathan :D
Chas