West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I may show you what's inside the very similar box for the 5-plank later too. No springs broken off that one so far.

No instructions - of course. It's a Bill Bedford item. Apparently you shouldn't be building it if you don't know what you are doing.....

Researching a "correct" form for the brake gear could be "interesting" for those of us who build rather fewer goods vehicles than Mr. Wealleans.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Sure, Steve, I'll get that out later for you.

This morning I had a go at the footboards. These are made of 3 x 1mm brass angle for strength. The complicating factor is that the centre axleguard goes up behind the board onto the solebar and Mike T has done a very nice one piece 3D print of this. I didn't want to compromise the strength of the print by cutting it, so the angle needs to be slotted to allow it to slide up the back.

As ever, pictures speak far more eloquently.

The axleguard assembly.

Angle soldered into place. One thing which came out of this exercise was the realisation that this is better done before the wheels are fitted.

The slot made before attaching the board. There is some scope for thinning the 3D print as well.

The finished assembly, complete with slight droop. These won't be permanently attached until much later in the assembly process.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Contents of BB 5 plank GNR coal wagon kit now shown at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=127084#p127084
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Here's the 7 plank, very similar to what Graeme's posted.

Body with integral springs and axleboxes top middle, separate hinge bar for end door, buffer stocks and couplings are the white 3D prints below. Fold up sprung chassis to right, steel wire for springing top left. The two bags contain steel buffer heads and springs (right) and 3D printed brake levers (left). There are 3 brake levers, so you can make Morton or either side brakes. There are another couple of pieces in that bag which I haven't yet examined - they maybe alternative end stanchions.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I received a gift from 'Dave' (Chris P Bacon) off of RM web, a couple of GN wagons and a clerestory coach body, he had a couple of his resin models left, so he sent them over, to say I'm chuffed would be an understatement, I've started cleaning up the coach, the wagons will come later.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3197.JPG
DSCF3198.JPG
Last edited by manna on Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Graeme, I'll have a look.

Manna, those castings from Dave look very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
Last edited by Atso on Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Atso wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am Thanks Graeme, I'll have a look.

Jonathan, those castings from Dave look very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
That should be 'Manna' :wink: I'm sure Manna can turn those 2nd rate castings into something half decent. The coach shows its Hornby shortie origins but can look pretty good when done.

Jonathan, I note the axle boxes are fixed on one side and loose on the other, is this planned or damage in transit?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave S wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am Jonathan, those castings from Dave look very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
That should be 'Manna' :wink: I'm sure Manna can turn those 2nd rate castings into something half decent. The coach shows its Hornby shortie origins but can look pretty good when done.
[/quote]

:oops: :oops: You're right! Now corrected! :oops: :oops:
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I note the axle boxes are fixed on one side and loose on the other, is this planned or damage in transit?
The latter, Dave. I will probably replace with MJT as the spring trunnions are broken off.

My 5 plank had separate springs/axleboxes, I believe, which might have been a better idea. I ought to open the other one and see if it's suffered the same way.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Short interlude here. I've been down to Ely this weekend to help with the club show - our 40th, it seems. As I travelled solo due to GCSE commitments on the part of other family members, I took the opportunity to visit the clubroom and test run my stock on the new Wickham Market layout. I was very pleased that both stock and layout performed well - one or two minor niggles but essentially a success.

I didn't take any overall photos of the layout, which is still scenically very much a work in progress, but there are some views available on the club Facebook page. I did take one or two of trains before the need for lunch became too great...

Unweathered 62597 with an up train of non-vestibuled stock. Goods shed to the left.

Rear of the same train. Platform canopy visible as well as the down loading/cattle dock and the end of the down platform ramp beyond.

J19 on a down unfitted freight. The cattle pens are visible here to the right and this view will not be possible once the buildings are added. Signal box mockup and up platform canopy visible behind. The leading vehicle is an ex-GE tender in use as a sludge carrier.

View across part of the goods yard. The cattle dock structure is now visible to the left.

The cameraman has now turned to his right and is looking towards the goods shed and the up platform. The beginnings of the backscene can be seen in the background.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I am interested in the make-up of your recently posted train of carriages.

Clearly, carefully researched stock, it is nothing remotely like one could put together with R-T-R.

A bit like my daughter having to run 'her gamut' of the 'Bulldog society' event at Redcar sands today. So many dogs.

K has survived all, just.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thank you, John. All the carriages individually did run in the GE section, but the composition of the train is an educated guess. We are still looking for any Carriage Working or other information for the East Suffolk for this period.

They have all been on this thread at some time. The Gresley brake is Comet, the North Eastern clerestory and matchboard stock is D & S and the GE clerestory and D244 Gresley CL are by Bill. The all 3rd at the very back is MJT.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Plodding on with the 6 wheelers as time and weather allow. I've done the other Composite and Lav First since the last update.

All the laser cut bodies are now rolling shells, so there are just the two Mike Trice luggage brakes to put together and we have the full 7 vehicles.

In between, just to keep myself interested, some GN wagons all from Bill's excellent resin kits. Two 7 plank coal wagons and a Colwick open.

I'm not completely happy with the 3 D printed brake levers - I think brass replacements may be in order. The white metal axleboxes and springs are where the original cast ones had broken off in the packaging.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Hi JW.
Those carriages are looking good, I'm trying to find the motivation to complete one of Bills wagons
I got at Wakefield, I sit down with the best intentions and loose interest, I agree with your comments.
I hope his range keeps expanding.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Dave, pleased to see you posting. These have sat on the end of my bench for a while but they repay a little effort - there's less than an hour's work in each of them. They're ready for primer now.