West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atso »

Looking good! I can see what you mean about the Luggage Composite looking a little two dimensional. However, I'm sure that once finished and on the layout, this will not be noticeable. 8)

Slightly off topic but I've found four old N gauge Farish four wheel coach chassis. Some light investigation suggests that, with a little work, I can fit some 2mm Scale Association 'W' irons between the frames to create a reasonable approximation of a GNR six wheel coach chassis... You're work with the etched kits is seriously giving me a desire to build some of these for myself; possibly to run with a Stirling Single I'm thinking about making!
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Go for it, Steve. If you can 3D print the bodies, the world's your lobster.

You'll have seen the thread on here which sets out all the different diagrams for the 1938 exhibition train, if that's what you have in mind?
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

jwealleans wrote:Go for it, Steve. If you can 3D print the bodies, the world's your lobster.

You'll have seen the thread on here which sets out all the different diagrams for the 1938 exhibition train, if that's what you have in mind?
It is indeed what I have in mind, goodness knows when though. To begin with I think I might have a go at printing some non passenger stock as I'm very short on these at the moment.
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Still adding bits. We've almost reached the end of the set, just a few bits to do on the CL and it's there.

You can't really see very much from the side, but there are gas pipes and handrails on the roof and alarm telltales on one end.

Jol Wilkinson came up with a top idea for the gas valve control handle - Roxey door handles soldered to a bit of fret. As it happened I had some and it worked really well.

I have yet to see a photo of the end of one of these, so it's a bit approximate but I think all the major parts are there. There were variations between sets in positioning of steps, some having them both ends. One end is quite enough for me and I had to make two steps as some were missing from the etch. Needs a tidy up and a bit of judicious bending, but once primed I think it will look OK.

Speaking of looking OK once primed, I made a start on the beading. This is 10 x 20 thou Evergreen held with thin superglue.

Not a job to do when you're short of patience. Again, a tidy up with a file and a waft of primer and - while it won't look as good as a modern kit with proper layers and etched beading, it will look more like the CL, which is the important bit.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Looking good Mr J.
It was interesting to see them at Wakefield (and you of course), will we see them at York or Wakey next year ?.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks looking fantastic! Work faster, I want to see the finished article already!!!! :lol: 8)
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Can't quite manage finished, but one side is almost there and in primer:

Having taken the picture, I then realised I hadn't done the ducket. That has been corrected. Overall I think it's worked quite well.

Dave - won't you be flocking to Huntingdon and Hartlepool to see them running on Grantham?
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Jonathon

The David Gray Bk 3rd is certainly looking the part - makes me think I'll be able to build the twin I have - but might need to be built as a twin, even if incorrect, as I don't have a luggage lav compo body to use to make it into a triplet.

Regards

Andrew
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I will be interested to see how your latest builds stand up against later kit designs, in the flesh, so to speak.

We have some relatively new products to make comparisons with, Bill Bedford's 3D plastic and Frank Davies' new etches. These are not of the same Diagrams.

Nor must we forget Mr Dan Pinnock's products, which are still available to 7mm modellers. And possibly 4mm, if one asks nicely.

John
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi John

What can you tell us of Frank Davies new etches - I don't think I've heard of those? However, I am aware of a set of etches arranged by Nick Eastern in 2015 for the Louth Quad, for which I had minor input into the etch design. They were custom etched for John Gleeson in Melbourne and both Jonathon and I have a set to build.

Andrew Emmett
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Mr J......in a word no, but I might manage West Hartlepool.

Looking better now with a coat of paint.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

jwealleans wrote:Can't quite manage finished, but one side is almost there and in primer:

Having taken the picture, I then realised I hadn't done the ducket. That has been corrected. Overall I think it's worked quite well.

Dave - won't you be flocking to Huntingdon and Hartlepool to see them running on Grantham?
Ok so it's not finished yet, but its looking mighty impressive! 8)
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Progress was abruptly halted this weekend when I ran out of Evergreen strip. Having finished the BT, I started to paint it and the CL so it felt as if I was getting somewhere with it all.

Jury's out on solebar detail - I've come into a drawing from which I can probably work it out, but I'm not sure it will be visible. I have forgotten the gas tank gauges, I notice now.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Looking great so far Mr Wealleans! 8) 8) 8)
Steve
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

JW i dont know if you have seen this film but the first views are of teak artic sets. The timeline is a bit mixed tho but it may give you some detail help. www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAD1Xrw-9Dc
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.