West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Well, isn't the world a different place since that last post? I think we need some more modelling, we can't leave it all to Steve and Paul. Sadly for my modelling progress (but not my sanity) I'm officially a key worker so it's been nose to the grindstone for me. Not key enough to be allowed into supermarkets early, but I can threaten my children with being sent back to school, so it's not completely disastrous.

Things presently on my workbench - I seem to have a glut of almost-finished models just at the moment.

When the Bachmann O4 first came out, I recall saying that we ought to get hold of one for Corfe and convert it to an ROD example just back from France. Several hundred were hired out to the different railways while the locos they'd sent for the war effort were repaired or replaced. Corfe falls exactly into the 1919-22 timespan where they'd have been seen so it was really a no brainer. If there had been suitable buffers available I'd have done one a long time ago, but Bachmann have now saved me the trouble. This is an the LNWR example with replacement plates from 247. It would have been a straightforward paint and renumber, but I've had awful problems with paint reacting. Only on the cab sides and tender rear, though, which makes me think it's to do with the printing process. Whatever they've got on there is tenacious - it's had 3 strips and repaints and it's still visible, but with weathering it'll have to do. This is almost done - weathering, crew, fire irons and it's about there. As like the rest of the National Trust we're now closed for the foreseeable future, there's no real rush.

I did a few pacifics for Grantham last year and the year before and found I had enough bits left to make another A1. So why not the only A1 which remained an A1 - Great Northern herself. So far this has only had plates and a renumber, I need to check there's nothing unique to this loco which needs doing.

This rebuilt Howlden was illustrated back upthread. I kept as many original parts as possible, including the roof, which has acquired that rather perky angle at one end. I'm not sure whether I can do anything about that now. Grab handles and no smoking labels to add and an interior to make.

I'm on with glazing the quad set at the moment - it's laborious but we're getting there. Then there's the same finishing touches and four more interiors to make.

I thought we might have seen more of these in this forum - Bill B's resin 6 wheelers. I know Mr King has one or two about his person. All in all they're a good thing and this one has been easy to put together. I did manage, despite taking care, to break some of the bearing holders and will probably use brass ones next time. I also broke off part of the brake gear putting that together. You will see that the floor unit has adopted a slight curve - gluing it to the body will cure that - and the roof has done the same. Again, once clipped into place I don't see a problem. The glazing slides into slots in the sides; excellent idea and looks great but I had to trim a gnat's crotchet off each piece before it would slide in flat. I chose to remove the moulded door handles and replace with brass; having tried the cast commode handles (picture 1) I think I'll replace with MJT (picture 2). The body also required slight chamfering at one end before it slid over the floor unit as intended.

All in all I liked this - enough modelling required to be satisfying and personalised, but way less effort than a full kit. I have a BT to finish and I wouldn't think twice about some more.

There have had to be some wagons. The IMP I acquired a while ago and it's been hanging around for a while. The GC coal wagon came out from 51L earlier in the year.

Bachmann grain hoppers are not easy to find, but the 'Worthington' variant seems not to have sold as well as expected and you can pick them up for less than the others. Once the extra walkways are removed they're a straightforward paint and letter. Transfers by CCT.

And finally..... I have no recollection of how I acquired this, undoubtedly in a job lot somewhere, but I fancied a bit of variety and found that this is a Riley Monaco, a vehicle of 1934 origins. I know a layout where it would be right at home... colour scheme from a preserved example on the net (hope it's accurate) and all I need to now is find somewhere to park it where the stream of Faller variants can't run into it.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

4470 was a Doncaster loco until 1944, so most definitely seen at Grantham in the late 1930s.

I will leave others, better placed, to decide on the exact combination of variations that loco may have had in the late 1930s.

As an aside, I have had a Skype call with 'Graeme Leary' this evening, surely an odd idea to see someone half a world away?

John
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Ha, and I thought I was keeping busy. I think model making is going to be the savior of quite a few people over the next few months.
You've got to have a soft spot for Great Northern, I'm sure most of us here do....(you better :twisted: )

Paul
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Jonathan

I have two of the Bill Bedford Howlden 6 wheelers, a Dia 148 lav comp and a Dia 154 luggage comp.

You tempted me to have a look at building one of mine instead of carrying on with somersault signals I'm building for a friend's new exhibition layout which is based on Spilsby, but he's building it with signals assuming an increase in traffic warranted more than one engine in steam.

I did have a bit of a play around with one when I received them.

I found mine also has a bow in the underframe and will have to glue that in place. I also found that there was a tackiness to some of the surfaces of the prints and on the Dia 154 there appeared to be uncured resin beneath a couple of the seats?

I note they need filing/sanding to remove the pips of which there are quite a lot. I also note the bottom of the windows are a shallow convex curve and will need filing to straighten them.

One of mine was missing the glazing but that's no big deal - easy to cut some clear plastic sheet, noting you had to trim yours anyway.

I had some damaged brake parts but no big deal easily glued together (as I did with two open wagons I bought at the same time but they had more damage - I think Graeme tells me that is what you get to expect).

Did you need to prime them of did you just paint them with say a Humbrol enamel base coat?

I previously built one of Bill's Dia 129 bogie comps which was printed from a different material and that seemed easier to work with in some ways although I think it was more brittle.

Anyway they look to be a much quicker build than an etched kit as you say.

I have attached a photo which shows the D&S Howlden triplet I finished recently, A Dia 218T based at Lincoln so very suitable for that area.

Andrew
Attachments
IMG_0140 ps s2.jpg
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I'd be interested in seeing I.ages of your friends layout, if you have any please (or a link to a thread if one exists on another platform)
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

6 wheelers are now complete. The XCL very much as described above.

The XBT was a different story and a great deal more work. The sides were a heroically bad fit over the underframe - I had to file almost 1mm off the seats before it would fit at all and then more off the rebate round the top of the floor to get it to sit down properly. I managed to snap a corner off one side, but it went back without being too obvious.

The glazing needed trimming but all the slots were blocked with resin and none of them would slide in as intended - most of them were cut to just oversize and then popped into their slots from the back, with some simply being glued in. The underframe was also a different width to the CL - both run freely, but the centre axle on the CL simply slotted into the moulding, while on the BT I had to put bearings in to narrow the gap slightly before the supplied centre axle system would fit.

This is the point where I would usually run them and see whether the centre axle system works and also whether some weight would be beneficial. That will have to wait until normality resumes. For the moment I'd stick to my conclusion earlier - these are not quite 'clip together and run' models, you need to do some modelling and you have the option of doing more if you wish. At the end of the day I now have two carriages which sit nicely with the ones I already had and for less effort than a brass kit.

This weekend I've gone back to the J6 which has not really had much done to it since before Christmas. Chassis is now running and today I detailed loco and tender almost to a conclusion. I still need to fit the smokebox door and some of the little lubrication pipe runs to the loco and also find the buffer which hurtled off into oblivion while I was cleaning it up.

Again, I'd like to be giving this some time round a layout but for the moment the rolling road will have to suffice.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hopefully the photo. The J6 (Cab) appears to be leaning backwards, and the footplate does as well, at both ends after the curves ?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's the photo, Mick. The whole thing looks as if it dips towards the loco/tender coupling (or where it would be if I'd made it yet) but that is not the case. The footplate might be a bit wobbly, it's had a bit of abuse between being built, unbuilt and then reassembled.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Good news , well done .
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm

I thought we might have seen more of these in this forum - Bill B's resin 6 wheelers. I know Mr King has one or two about his person.
He does, and the frustration caused by not being able to find the time yet to get on with those, and many other things on his "to do" list has been quite intense. He is encouraged by the visible results of your efforts, and he might actually get round to dealing with his own examples now that hideous fate has handed him something of a golden opportunity via the obliteration of the normal working week.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great work as always Jonathan.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Wagons for the last few days, mainly foreign but i have finished these off, from a job lot of almost finished whitemetal kits I bought a coupe of years ago:

The sort of thing you can always find room for.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Lovely finish on those Fish Vans Jonathan.

What about this excursion train?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I haven't looked through all my stock, but the only TO I have is in post-war condition, all the Grantham stock is compartment (apart from the RF/TO/RTP combination) and I certainly don't have 6 6 wheel saloons to hand at this notice. I can do a Barnum brake but not much more. Disappointing.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Today's main focus of attention. These have come quite a way since they left Margate, one for Fine Fish and the other Weetabix.