West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

manna wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm G'Day Gents

She looks a ripper.

manna
Reminded me of this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YX8wDL6y8
way off topic.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm worried, you knew where to find Crash Bandicot and Ripper Roo. :lol: :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Evidence of a previously unsuspected misspent youth?

(6165 will be at Wakefield, Peter).
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

One of my many facets...

And now I've mentioned it to my wife again she wants us to get the original Playstation out again. SHE was the main Crash Bandicoot jockey....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They can't touch you for what you get up to in the privacy of your own home.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So the immunity doesn't extend to the woods near Guisborough?

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

More into Tomb Raider, myself, all that jumping about !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Been a quiet few weeks on the workbench - shows, weekends away, works trips away and other things to do have eaten into the time available. I've been tinkering on with a few bits and bobs which I hope to complete over Christmas. Most of them are rebuilds or reworking of models acquired partly or wholly built, usually in a bundle with something else, the something else being what I particularly wanted. However, waste not want not and they'll all find use on one layout or another.

That said, I'm not sure where this one will go yet - Perseverance 50' clerestory luggage brake. This had been glued together, the glue having begun to fail and so had to be stripped - shame, the paint job was lovely - and reassembled properly. I have followed Steve Banks' advice on reprofiling the body ends but haven't made any attempt to tackle the overheight sides. I'm not sure how you'd do that without ruining the panelling.

GE Section General Van (I think this is D86) which will go to Wickham Market along with the D87 I finished recently. This needed the brake gear reassembling correctly and replacement springs/axleboxes at one end. No prizes for telling which end, but once they're painted and weathered it'll be hard to see the join.

Kirk Boplate and NuCast Tube wagons. Tony Wright sold me these at Ely in May and they've both been reassembled, detailed in the case of the Boplate and now all but finished. There's still some lettering to go on the Tube.

ABS Twincase. Another for Wickham Market when finished painting and lettered.

Parkside opens - both had to have the brake gear replaced and the bodies corrected - whoever built them wasn't great at corners.

I think the vanfit came in the same lot - new brake gear, some body detailing and a repaint. The open is the Bachmann one, here in early BR days.

Private Owners. These are largely what I built when I was demoing at Hartlepool. The Oxford wagon bottom left has had the London plank cut in and the incorrect capping strip clips removed. The one atop it is also Oxford, a 1923 wagon originally in the livery of a business which ceased trading in 1919. The other two are Parkside and Cambrian. They'll all end up as Rickett & Smith wagons.

This may be of interest - visitors to the demonstration area at Hartlepool will have been able to watch these being made by Mr. King. Visitors to the demonstration area at Warley will have been able to watch them being finished by myself. Conflat V to Diagram 108 (the cattle wagon conversion) with the first attempt at deck layout - probably 'Container Flat' rather than Conflat V if we're being wholly pedantic. I believe these will be available from Graeme in due course. The undergubbins are the Mainly Trains components and buffers from LMS.

Finally, no apologies for a pair of GW opens - these are ABS kits and I'm hoping Adrian can tell me what diagram they are. They're identical other than the buffers as far as I can tell.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

More wagons - I picked up a box of wrecks on Ebay a few months ago and put them aside for Christmas, having tried to identify them all and acquire the necessary bits to refinish where needed. They looked to have been built for a P4 project, but most had lost their wheels. I'm not sure about the builder either - mostly soldered and quite neatly, but (for example) the flash and moulding pips hadn't been smoothed off the top of the sides on the open wagons. Anyway, I'm working through them in the order they come out of the box and doing what i can with what's to hand.

D & S GNR D29 open. This only needed new wheelsets and a floor.

ABS (I think) fitted LNER open. I've built a few of these over the years. This also only needed wheelsets and a replacement floor. I may trim down the invisible bits of the brake rigging to move the brake blocks closer to the wheels.

NER plate wagon. New wheels and floor and the almost flattened brake gear very carefully bent back into place. There are a couple of places which refuse to solder and may need plastic or wire reinforcement. This is now available from 51L, I think.

This one wasn't from the same lot, but a scratchbuilt single bolster from a different bundle. There were two of these and this one was missing a pair of axleguards and a brake lever. They've been very nicely made, so once the replacement parts are fitted and painted I shall be pleased to see them running again.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Lovely work on those wagons, as always!
Steve
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

Are the axleboxes on the single bolster both supposed to be RCH types?

They do not match to my eye. Not that axleboxes should match, of course.

I have several wagons where the axleboxes are deliberately modelled differently.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I believe they are, John - the unpainted one is MJT. I tried to find the closest match to the one the original builder had fitted, which I think is Kenline or of a similar vintage. My first instinct was to use MJT LNER ones, but they were nowhere near in appearance and so not having Tatlow with me I took the next available option.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The one on the left looks GWR to my eye.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Quite possible, Mike - it may have been the nearest approximation whenever this was built. It's a cast one piece axleguard epoxied (or similar) to a plastic solebar, though and I suspect an attempt to remove it would risk being terminal.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rejoice in the accuracy, they match every bit as well as these:
1 Side view inc H 3 inch graduated scale w.jpg