West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

I'm calling this finished. It can harden off for a while before it's weathered. It's nicely consistent height- and buffer-wise with the Comet and MJT/Bedford Gresleys from the Wickham Market stock tray.

If I were really critical I'd say the door handles are a little too far towards the middle of the door (the missing one has been replaced) but otherwise it looks like what it's supposed to be and the recessed glazing isn't as conspicuous as I thought it might be.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Very nice Jonathan. I'd have said that your note about the handles being a little too far towards the middle of the doors is one of those things that very few would notice - it's an exceedingly tiny point and it definitely doesn't detract from the overall look :)
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd agree. I'm very impressed with Gaz's willingness to have a bash at doing this with all the different skills it requires and the quality of the result.

Too hot for serious modelling - just finished off a few new candidates for the Scotch Goods this week.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Re: 54' Thompson suburbans - I've no time to look just now but did I read something in blue-cover Harris about recycled underframes from former Ilford electric stock?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm
If I were really critical I'd say the door handles are a little too far towards the middle of the door (the missing one has been replaced) but otherwise it looks like what it's supposed to be and the recessed glazing isn't as conspicuous as I thought it might be.
Yes, agree about the door handles. The door stops are a little close together too. It is the nature of steel-panelled vehicles which makes these small details more obvious.
D265 detail.jpg
John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Re: 54' Thompson suburbans - I've no time to look just now but did I read something in blue-cover Harris about recycled underframes from former Ilford electric stock?
The D265 is a Gresley carriage, but you are otherwise correct: the underframes were used for CCTs, rather attractive vehicles which were seen all over the GE Area and occasionally further afield.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 pm

GE Section General Van (I think this is D86) which will go to Wickham Market along with the D87 I finished recently. This needed the brake gear reassembling correctly and replacement springs/axleboxes at one end. No prizes for telling which end, but once they're painted and weathered it'll be hard to see the join.
JW,

Rather late commenting but the van type pictured is the D87 Milk Van. The D86 General Van had the same arrangement of vents under toplights in all positions; the D87 had the toplights omitted from the central ones. There were vertical bars added behind each of the toplights for protection. Oil lamps, dual fitted, same basic underframe later used for the D120 Pigeon Van, so I hate to mention it but the springs were behind (inside) the axleguards! Have you added the steps on one end?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Morning '47,

Rather late replying too. I have added the steps and handrails at the end, but until such time as I can source the correct castings, the springs and axleboxes are staying as they are. I don't know why whoever built it changed them but neither are correct - I found the best match for what was there rather than leave them off.

I had a request last week for information on the perishables train we run on Grantham and specifically the white vans. They always catch the eye and I've collected up a few for this train since we started working on the stock for it. I though this might be of general interest so I'm posting it rather than simply emailing back.

This morning I took a picture of the stock tray for that train (handily it was by the bench as I've been working on the Scotch Goods).

So, working left to right:

The meat containers and associated conflats are resin castings from Mr. King using my masters. The containers are diagram 15, the conflats diagram 60. Their assembly and finishing starts in this thread here. I made the transfers myself.

In the second compartment, starting from the top, the first vehicle is a Thomas circus van, which, in body at least, readily makes an NER diagram F10 refrigerated van.

This is a conversion Mr. King did first and he has followed up more of the possibilities than I have - some of these were used for fish or meat with the ice boxes removed and there's one in a Tatlow book branded for both. Starts on my thread here but Mr. King can supply more details. I made a new underframe for mine and all the bits and bobs came from Wizard as I recall. The moulding has been released in many colours and liveries and you can find them very cheaply.

Next down is another recycled Hornby; this was a KitKat van of the type commonly known as 'Hull and Barnsley vans'.

There must be hundreds of thousands of these out there. These need a little more work - the panelling should not be recessed, so it has to be filled in with planked 20 thou and the underframe usually needs chucking away and replacing. Handily, Wizard/51L offer suitable Iracier axleboxes and buffers. This is another van which can be finished in white or red oxide as they had long and varied lives - the second van down in the third column is also one of these.

Below the H & B van is one you might struggle to find an example of; it's an LNER refrigerated van to diagram 21.

This was just an etch which I acquired from Tony Wright when he was selling off the stock from Gamston Bank. John Houlden couldn't remember where he'd got it from, but eventually we decided it must be a Jim McGeown etch shot down to 4mm. I had to add strapping and all the bits and bobs but they're all readily available and it's finished up a nice looking and unusual wagon.

Finally in this column one which you can get hold of readily - an ex-GC van to diangram 55 from R & E Models, now sold by Brassmasters

This is a fairly straightforward etched kit; my comments on the build are on the thread here.

The two vans in the bottom of the third column are the D & S kit DS 259 for the Great Northern refrigerated van.

These can occasionally still be acquired second hand although they do attract a premium. Both built largely as intended except that they're both on brass W irons. One of them has Bill's sprung units and it positively glides along.

Worth saying that the rest of the box are NER and LNER perishable vans from mainly 51L kits. I think these went into the David Geen range so you're looking at the second hand market for these as well. There are a couple of D & S kits in there, which are the ones with sliding doors.

I believe Hornby have done another refrigerated van with LNER branding fairly recently, but not having seen one I can't say what it's supposed to represent nor how accurate it is. Does anyone else have one?
Last edited by jwealleans on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Jonathan,

Do you have any idea how long these refrigerated vans remained in these sorts of perishables trains? Were they quickly replaced by containers or would there still have been a similar mix of vehicles post-war?

Thanks

Simon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This one , presumeably its NER lettering.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R6180 ... 7675.l2557
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

That van 151276 was to LNER Diagram 20. The underframe is a total nonsense.

Nothing to do with the North Eastern Railway.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Refrigerated and insulated vans continued in use into BR although much traffic did switch to containers. Tatlow has figures, but the NER vans would have been rare after the war and I don't believe any of the H & B ones made it that far.

The body moulding on the van Mick's posted is the same one but it would also need an underframe and paint/lettering to be nearer accurate.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you for the summary and the links. I have two of those Hornby vans (somewhere) awaiting conversion.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hello Jonathan

I have one of the LNER built Refrigerator vans. My one only scratchbuilt wagon - built about 1979-80 from plastic card. The body has a very slight warp now. It no longer has those couplings on it. I had a program of wagons I was going to build but then i discovered D&S kits!

Andrew
Attachments
IMG_5901 s.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nice job, Andrew.

Jim also did an etch for his banana van which is yet to be finished off.