Some photos,N7,K2 and J12's-+ GC water crane

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Some photos,N7,K2 and J12's-+ GC water crane

Post by rob »

Here are some photos of recent and not quite so recent work
[/img]
Attachments
122_2271.JPG
(342.16 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
122_2294.JPG
(356.49 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
122_2297.JPG
(258.35 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
IMG_2257.jpg
(322.24 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
IMG_2219.jpg
(446.54 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Top stuff, Rob. Love that lining on the N7 (especially the bunker back!).

Is the K2 NuCast or London Road?

What motor/gearbox did you use on the J12s - mine will be here (hopefully) in time for a winter solderfest. I like the open toolbox - is that a BB idea or your own? Looking at them, it's going to be tight getting the 'LNER' and the number on that tender side, isn't it?

Post by 45609 »

Hi Rob,

All your locos look excellent. I like the J12s in particular. I'd quite like one but they don't fit with my period of interest and I already have too many kits. Are the chimney, dome, etc.... castings provided with the kit?

Thanks for the water crane picture as well. Unfortunately it is not the style I'm looking for. Looks like I'll have to scratch build the ones I want.

Cheers....Morgan
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks Jonathan and Morgan,
I'm glad you like them,I'm quite remote here so appreciate the encouragement and support!
I'm still wondering should that bunker lining be there?! -I'll take it you approve anyway Jonathan-its actually HMRS LNWR as I wanted to see how it would do-theres not really enough red on the LNER sheet-its much brighter and slightly thicker though,which I didn't cop until varnished,so I will try in future to stick with the LNER sheet
The K2 is Nu-Cast,one of 2,the other Scottish with side window cab-I plan one more eventually,I think they are beautifully proportioned locos.
Jon,the J12's use a Branchlines Compact with Romford 40-1's and their smallest flywheel.The new boilers were mounted quite a way above the running plate so you get cab clear,but a reasonably big cut-out underneath-I have a few photos of work in progress I can PM if any help.
Toolbox is my own little conceit but not original I'm sure.I agree the letters and numbers will be tight so I'm savouring them in grey for a while!Do Fox offer anything different in terms of sizes?I've not used tried their transfers and they have a good reputation.
Solderfest is the word!-check with Jeremy Suter,he did masters for the springs and hangers but may have lost them!it would save a lot of work-I only managed 2 a night!If not,see if BB would half etch ALL the spring and hanger components for you this should help-I had to use Gibson etched boiler bands for the hangers.
Morgan,timescale is a problem isn't it-I'll mix about 1922 to 1939 happily but then have to exercise a lot of self discipline about WD's and Thompsopn L1's etc! Smokebox door,chimney,dome,safety valves,backhead and tender sandboxes with brake standard all available from BB.The big stumbling block is the spring and hanger arrangement which is all etched-I scratch built mine instead.Wouldn't do that in a hurry again!
Rob
Joseph P.Keegan
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Some photos,N7,K2 and J12's-+ GC water crane

Post by Joseph P.Keegan »

Hi Rob,the N7 really looks the part now in comparison to when I saw it in its brass finsh earlier in the year.
Well done.
There is a model show in Cork in november,Frank will be bringing Wentworth which appeared at the NEC a couple of years back with a small quary extension.I'll be with him.I have converted a couple of 1E Promotions GE wagons last night to EM.
I have 2 D&S tram kits Y6's plus 5 GER vans to build for Cork as well.
Keep up the good work.
I might see you there.
Joe
rob

Post by rob »

Hello,good to have you aboard Joe,
I shall make every effort to attend,please keep me informed of dates etc.I look forward to seeing the vans- Who are the sources-D&S Geen,etc?The GER is badly served for rolling stock kits compared to many,especially now that D&S are not in production-I have none of their bogie coaching stock to build,sad to say,esp with those wonderful panels.I will try to post photos of a J15 and B12 soon,but should have thought to get a few GER coaches when Dan was winding down!
Cheers,Rob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Rob,

You may be interested to know that Allen Doherty is scaling his 3 mm GER coach etches to 4 mm for me at the moment. They aren't as complete as D & S kits but they save you trying to make all that panelling!

D & S whitemetal range have been bought by Adrian Swain - you could see whether he's released any of the GER kits yet.
rob

Post by rob »

Jonathan,
That sounds interesting-the big problem for me is sourcing bogie and roof components-I think BB lists some GER too but he does not normally do bogies and I get lost in the diagram no's!Let me know how you get on,I will follow with interest and may ask for full details with a view to duplicating your work eventually!Incidentally and to go back a bit,there are FOUR Barnums in quite good order in preservation-with good photos showing very golden and very uniform teak finish!I was almost!!! right-oh well......
Rob
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Fantastic work on those models, well done! :D