O gauge Bachmann A3

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

O gauge Bachmann A3

Post by GeoffB »

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted anything so as I have just finished modifying the Bachman A3 I thought I would put up some piccies of it. It is modified to be Salmon Trout as it would be around 1938-ish.

As the springing and other bits are wrong as they arrive, I have modified the loco quite a bit and on the first trial runs yesterday, it performed superbly, pulling an 11 coach train effortlessly - and from a standing start up a 1:144 gradient.

I have machined a flywheel for it which makes the slow running excellent - really scale speeds for backing onto a train - and deceleration is excellent.

I bought the engine painted in Doncaster Green then repainted the backhead/cab and tender where ness and then lined and lettered it. One day I will get round to weathering it, but for the time being have just toned down areas such as the motion etc.

All the wheels were repainted and lined (although I still have to line the Driving wheel centres, but that required the motion being removed, so I've left that for a while - too many other projects on at the moment!)

Regards,

GeoffB

ps. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem and I can't upload any pics - will ask Richard to post them for me.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Here they are...
Attachments
FallPlate_DSF2213_Email.jpg
FallPlate_DSF2213_Email.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Front_DSF2232.jpg
Front_DSF2232.jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
GuardIrons_DustSheilds_DSF2223_Email.jpg
GuardIrons_DustSheilds_DSF2223_Email.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
SalmonTrout_DSF2216_Email.jpg
(143.36 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Guys,

With all this talk of the Hatchett A1 it has prompted me to add on this pic of the A3.

Since this original posting, Salmon Trout has run around the partly completed 1/2 of my garden railway (the rest hopefully in the next few weeks - weather and bridge building permitting!) and has performed well. It was run at the GOG show at Telford on the East Midlands test track and ran for over an hour hauling a rake of eight of John Shawe's excellent teaks. Can't wait to get it in service on my line.

Here's a pic of it in the cutting - slight enhancement with the smoke and steam!!

Regards,

GeoffB
Attachments
SalmonTrout_CuttingTunnel1+Steam_304750.jpg
Salmon Trout bursts out of the tunnel while the J71 gets in on the act with a local fish train.
(350.4 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Beautiful models. It would be nice to see more pictures of the A4 lurking in the background

Mick :D
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Mick,
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, I recently bought the A4 in it's "finished" state that someone had had built for him and he paid way over the top for it as whilst it was a fairly good build, the front was entirely wrong and the cab sides/windows were wrong too, so the engine is in the works at the moment for a rebuild to rectify these faults - oh yes, and the colour is nothing like Garter Blue so it will have a repaint too!

With this recent topic on the "Build an A1 from a magazine" the cab sides have come in very handy for the A4 (and a V2 I'm building that needs a good accurate cab instead of the rubbish in the kit!) and so a couple of 50p's worth has saved me hours of work!

When the A4 is done I will post it on the forum, but don't hold your breath as it may be quite a while away yet.

Regards,

GeoffB