Farish Chassis for J52

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Farish Chassis for J52

Post by smudger »

I have a white-metal body-kit for the J52 from ABS. This is designed to fit a 94xx Pannier chassis from Graham Farish, but does anyone know if a 57xx would fit? I asked the manufacturers, but they didn't know.

Alternatively does anyone know of any differences between the 2 chassis having used them?

Alan
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Are the wheelbases on the prototypes similar? If so, then chances are that the model counterparts will be similar, and that you can use either chassis with minimal changes to the body.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi the wheelbases are different between the two chassis. The 94xx chassis has an equal wheelbase while to 57xx has a more prototypical unequal wheelbase. I know that there is a picture of a reworked J52 using a 57xx chassis on the 2mm scale wepage - as to how much work was needed to get the chassis to fit, I don't know. I would have thought that at the very last the middle wheel splashers would need to be moved.
Steve
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

Thanks Steve. I knew the 57xx had the same wheelbase as the J52 so if this one has been modeled correctly by Graham Farish with the unequal wheelbase that's the one to go for and I'll have to modify the kit to suit.

Alan
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Alan - the 57xx chassis isn't quite correct for a J52 - but you're only looking at about a 1mm difference. Also have a look at the N Gauge Journal about 2 issues ago. The was a picture of a J50 on a 57xx chassis and it looked good to (the J50 and J52 share the same wheelbase). Just watch out that the tank may sit slightly to high to clear the farish motor (problem with both chassis).
Steve