Bachmann B1 driving wheels.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Bachmann B1 driving wheels.

Post by Sylvian Tennant »

I have just found the exact same problem! I'm super gluing the ruddy things together and see what that does (I doubt much)

I'm suspecting Bachmann are still able to supply new wheels sets for split chassis models?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Yes, Bachmann can supply new driving wheelsets for split chassis B1s. I managed to repair two of mine with one wheelset - they come complete with coupling rods attached - you have to take them to bits to get individual wheelsets.

I tried superglue but the things just eventually bulged out again!
Sylvian Tennant
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Sylvian Tennant »

cheers man, I've just come to that situation with the super glue too :(
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Dare I suggest it, but is there a market for cast resin replacements?
chaz125
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by chaz125 »

The plastic spoke inserts can be superglued back in place. This does require removing the valve gear/ coupling rods. Once you have done this, use a small screwdriver to lever each insert out. Place a good drop or two of superglue on the metal centre and replace the insert, pressing into place around the wheel rim. Hold firmiy at the centre for a minute or two until the superglue holds the insert in place. This usally works very successfully and is far less drastic than removing the inserts! It is quite a lot of work though. Not the best design feature of some Bachmann locos!
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

I've had the same problem with the B1 and a V1. The B1 was terminal because of problems with the quartering. The V1 centre however was taken out, it's a sort of dome effect to the axle hub, I filed around the circumference to ease it into the wheel, then taken out and then put in hot water with a weight on top, it came out flat, can't remember which one but impact adhesive was used to secure it back in the wheel. I've seen a B'mann split chassis A4 fitted with Romfords, has anyone tried this? Immediate thought is what bearings could be used to make up the difference between the Romford 1/8" axle and the larger B'mann?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Steve Kearns did one or two Romford conversions on Bachmann split chassis locos used on the former Gamston Bank layout. Various sizes of brass, aluminium and / or plastic tube, telescoped or "nested" produce the require diameter reduction in the Bachmann axle-ways. Either the motor terminals have to insulated from the chassis block and fed by wires, and/or insulation of the axles and bearings from at least one half of the chassis has to be arranged. Steve fitted conventional wiping pick-ups to collect current, although with selective insulation of bearings from the chassis, one side could of course use non-insulated wheels.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

I've been there too. Took one set out, ironed them - wool setting about right - through a piece of brown paper in case they stuck to SHMBO's iron - flattened them OK but then they were to big for the wheels, lost that little circlip so sent it to Bachmann who rewheeled it quickly - for a price, fair enough.

Second one went the same, so without dismantling I cut out the plastic inserts, added brass balance weights and painted the lot dirty black, really looks OK especially when in motion.

Cannot understand why they couldn't just make the whole wheel in one casting as others did.

All in all, a pretty poor range of mechanisms which did not do justice to the body mouldings. PIty they won't offer reasonably priced replacements. I also have a V1 whose rear axle stubs came apart - so far superglue seems to be holding.