teak coach colours for bits 'n' bobs

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

claire
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

teak coach colours for bits 'n' bobs

Post by claire »

strange question.

I have various older hornby coaches, in the molded plastic effect, i.e. not exactly 'teak'.. I'm in the process of repainting various things.

question one: what colour would the door hinges and handles be?

question two: what colour would the lining be?

I have seen a fair few pictures of models, but its hard to tell Gold from Yellow
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Hi,

Firstly the door hinges would be 'teak' paint, generally like a milky chocolate colour and the handles I believe were left as bare metal. The lining was Primrose yellow with a line of Vermilion red on either side.

Hope this helps :D

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
claire
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by claire »

excellent it helps loads, mostly cus it makes painting the hinges dead easy, that is basically the colour they now are :-)

the lining being yellow not gold helps, specifically I have a paint for that and not a gold. not too sure about managing a red line but I may have a go.

thank you.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Claire, to be honest the red line may not be all that visible once the yellow has been added so you might be able to get away without it.
Steve
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Have you thought about buying transfers for the lining and/or numbers? It will make your job so much easier and it'll be quicker, always an added bonus :D

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
claire
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by claire »

done without the red, not got a red paint currently anyway.

the numbers etc will be transfers but I've had a go at lining it, well one side anyway.

seen with a standard Hornby for comparison

I'm reasonably happy with it, added some internal partitions, eventually thinking of adding some lighting, but not quiet yet.

the idea of transfer for the lining is interesting.. but I would make a mess of that, its not too hard to paint a white line and the paint it yellow.. and touch up around it in a flat brown to tidy it up.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Hello Claire,
Heres a little more on the coach painting business-the lining was really incredibly subtle,a3/8" primrose yellow line with a 1/16"red line either side,so I wouldn't worry about the red!The vertical lines terminated in an arrow shape and don't join the horizontals.I think transfers are available somewhere recently with all these details but for me lifes too short etc and I am quite content with a plain yellow line.I find it incredibly difficult work!
Those Hornby clerestories go back a long way and have the pedigree of being used by Peter Denny as close to GCR prototypes,so are a good choice.Very soon after grouping lining seems to have been generally discontinued on non-corridor stock(economy) so you don't really need to line at all if you wish.Well worth doing would be painting the solebars and wheel centres plain teak.After 1925 non-corridor stock passing through works had the ends painted black,this could add some further variety.HMRS do the intricate no's and lettering the LNER used as Pressfix transfers which are very appealing and could be applied fairly easily.
For even more variety if you ever come across any 2nd hand repainted coaches that might suit ,a lot of pre-grouping types,especially ex NER could not be varnished so often ened up a dull,grubby plain "teak" colour,apparently anything from a light brown to a dark chocolate according to various sources.Thus you can simply use plain brown stock as well.Hope this is some help! Cheers, Rob
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

rob wrote:Hello Claire,
Very soon after grouping lining seems to have been generally discontinued on non-corridor stock
It was discontinued in 1925.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
claire
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by claire »

solebars & wheel centers 'plain teak'? as in a solid colour i.e. 'teak' paint, the sort of thing used for the hinges etc?

hmm.. that could be a nice effect.

as to not lining them, well they would look grubby to me that way, though the yellow will be weathered down and not as bright as this.

the idea is for these coaches to be 'old' stock on the layout, used for a few 'local' services, currently I have two of them, though I think a rake of four or five will do, I think one will end up in a siding weathered to hell as a wreak.

but the coloured wheel hubs and solebar will be a nice touch.

vertical lines not meeting the horizontal? new one on me, mind you I've basically just copied the Hornby lining, not something I'll be doing in 4mm though. but one or two that are not lined at all may be added.. for effect..

Amazing how much detail people know when you ask :-) theres tones of info on the locos but a lot less on what they pulled.

magic, thanks.
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

The horizontal and vertical lining did meet on the lower body panels i.e. where the beading makes a rectangle. The lining on the upper body panels did not join. If that makes any sense at all :? And yes the wheel centres and solebars were the same colour as the hinges, IIRC the pre grouping stock used to actually have varnished teak wheel centres.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Sorry! Should have pointed that out,forgot completely about the verticals on the lower body panels,thanks Karl! Yes,it is the plain teak paint,I use the Railmatch version which is quite light.If you have time check out Jwellans "for the coach minded "thread on the previous page for some outstanding finishing . Richard posted photos of some of my coaches just before it,not so outstanding but there are two full breaks to compare.One is corridor,fully lined,one non-corridor,unlined and you may get some impression of the way the teak paint on solebars and wheels looks.Hope its all some help!
claire
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by claire »

these are not exactly 'matched' colours.. just bog standard humbrol acrylics.

two shades of brown (one dry brushed, othe darker one a wash) over gloss yellow.

the roof needs weathering, well the whole thing needs weathering.

I've looked at that thread and my jaw dropped... I think I need a bit of practice here, still I have 5 non corridor and 8 corridor Hornby ones to practice on.. bought new & unboxed for a tenner each..

hmm...