PLUNGER PICK-UPS

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

PLUNGER PICK-UPS

Post by earlswood nob »

G'd day all
I have always built chassis with wire pickups, however I recently bought a kit-built model to strip and convert into a LNER loco, and the chassis has plunger pickups. The bare chassis runs very well on my test track.
Does anyone have any views on such pick-ups?
Are they worth trying in my next chassis?
I welcome any views, both positive and negative.
Earlswood nob (looking forward to an uninterrupted day's modelling, the first for a while)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: PLUNGER PICK-UPS

Post by jwealleans »

I was warned off them when building my first Gibson kit and have never tried them again.

The advice (from a professional loco builder) was that they act like brakes and aren't worth the time setting up compared to the light pressure of some springy wire.

In 7mm they seem to be de rigeur but I have never owned or (to the best of my knowledge) seen a 4m loco with them, so I stick to what I know works.

If yours work and you can do what you need to do without disturbing them then do. I'd be tempted to find a way of spacing them off the wheels and see whether it runs better without them bearing on the backs, though.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Plungers work as well as any other pickup system. The thing to watch out for is that the wire that connects the pickup to the loco's electrical buss has to be very flexible. Otherwise it will overcome the force of the plunger spring.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I tried them on a High Level Pug and could not get them to work. The only way I could get that to work was to glue pieces of copperclad under the running plate and use wire wipers. Having said that, Airfix used them with some success on their locos and their use has been continued by Hornby, despite retooling the chassis to take new motors.

Have a go - maybe on a chassis with more "meat" around the mounts it may work but it made the Pug chassis too flimsy.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

They worked fine on my Rovex 'Princess' 8)
Rovex Plunger Pickups.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

They're a different type of plunger.

The ones we are discussing rub on the back of the tyre, although I agree that this type of plunger DOES work!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Thanks for all the replies.
I shall give plunger pickups a miss for a while, as most of the locos that I'm building have pretty slim chassis. However, the next SE Finecast 8w tender chassis that I build might be a candidate, as its a pretty hefty chunk of nickel-silver.

Earlswood nob
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, EN!

That gives me an idea. Do you reckon a DJH chassis will be hefty enough for plungers? :wink:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day BB
The chassis I bought with plunger pickups was a Kays chassis, and the brass frames are about the same thickness as DJH frames, so I shouldn't think it would flex.

Thinking along those lines, I do have a Gibson chassis waiting to replace a cast chassis in a NuCast V1/3. The Gibson sideframes are thicker than the brass that I normally use, so they might be a candidate for plunger pickups.

Earlswood nob

PS. Whilst it's good to have the reputation for being an expert on my family history, it is time consuming. I've been answering emails for over two hours this morning.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Mrs BB finds the same, she being the genealogist of the two of us. My involvement is limited to the railway subjects but then that is my speciality. Oh, and Yorkshire!

I have a Finecast Crab on a Gibson chassis and some tine ago I investigated the possibility of fitting a High Level gearbox to remove the motor-in-the-cab syndrome. I found that not even their "slimline" gearboxes, intended for 3mm would fit. I've never had any luck with Gibson's own gearboxes which would fit. And yes, I would love it to have a clear cab but I'm too tight for a Comet Chassis.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Hi there BB
I build Gibson chassis with Comet spacers and hornblocks if needed. The Gibson hornblocks were tried once and then forgotten.
The High Level gearboxes fit when matched with Comet spacers, there isn't much sideplay for 00 axles, but if the bushes/hornblocks are filed down slightly, my locos (well most of them) will negotiate points.
I wouldn't replace a chassis, if I didn't have anything to fit the old chassis. That would be a waste of money.

Earlswood nob
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, EN!

Now that gives me ideas......

Mrs BB - No you don't! :cry:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

Revamping this old thread:

I am currently building a SEF Buckjumper, and as it's small there is not much room on the chassis for fitting brake gear, pickups, etc.

I decided to fit plunger pickups, and after several failed attempts, I got some very fine flexible wire to use as connectors, which works well.

I don't think that the plunger rubbing on the wheel back produces more friction that wire edge wipers.

I shall have to fit plungers to one of my edge wiper fitted locos to test for differences.

Earlswood Nob