Is 2mm about to realise its potential?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Is 2mm about to realise its potential?

Post by Bullhead »

I've been intrigued recently by pictures of the Peco N gauge GWR "Collett Goods", which seems to me - GWR prototype though it predictably is - to be a step change in the quality of British-outline 2mm scale models. It has see-through wheels, brake gear, separate handrails, daylight under the boiler, DCC fitted as standard, and presumably a decent mechanism. I could even live with the bright wheel tyres, though I wish manufacturers wouldn't fit these to their products, and don't understand why they do so.

I have long been attracted by the potential that 2mm offers. I fancy a layout with "big" scenery - hills, a viaduct, drystone walls - but no points, or station, or signals: just prototype-length trains passing by. But I've been put off by the horrible, toy-like nature of almost everything the British enthusiast was offered: the apparently standard "Rollo" wheels being a particular atrocity. Is all this about to change, with the impending Bachmann/Farish 9F/Ivatt 2MT/Jubilee?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Things have been changing for a couple of years now :-)

The reception on the NGauge listserver to the Collet has generally been "would have been excellent 2 yrs ago when it was announced". Basically the bar has been upped by Bachmann/Farish slowly getting their act together and Dapol entering the market. Peco were too slow to release this locomotive. The Collet is considered pricey, and probably not quite as good as the imminent Bulleid Q1 from Dapol (which is quite a bit cheaper, and boasts a working lubricator crank, blackened pickups, and a DCC socket).

Yes the Jubilee and 9F should be good. Many of the reviews of the Ivatt 2-6-2T earlier this year (again Dapol) list it as the best British N steam engine on the market - I don't think anyone will claim this by the end of the year! That's how quick things are moving.

Diesels are also doing well - two competing Class 66s, the Farish Peaks, the imminent 04, further improved releases from Farish, etc.

Rolling stock is also showing improvements by Farish and Dapol - and Peco need to quickly get their thumbs out and revamp their range if they're not to be left behind. Two that come to mind are the Farish oil tankers and ex-LNER brake vans. I have yet to buy them but I hear they're considerably better looking than their Peco equivalents.

Oh, and the 2mm Society people don't like you calling "N" 2mm :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia