On the hunt for a hunt

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

On the hunt for a hunt

Post by Tom Quayle »

I am currently operating my secondary line based model with a K3, standard 4 4-6-0, J39, Jinty and an 04 diesel with a standard 5 due on the 25th lol. I would like to expand my loco fleet further before I redesign the model to depict Barnsley in the 60's. What I would really like is a range of exLNER locos. The ones that I have already talked about in the forum are heavy freight locos then I realised my shorter passenger and parcels trains needed a loco and the D49 seems to be a perfect choice. The other locos I have lined up are a V2, B1, B17, O4, Q6, A4, A1, A3, 9F, 8F, Jubilee and Scot. Anyone guess what line my model is based on lol
daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

O4

Post by daveinstoke »

A nice built O4 would not look out of place , You just need to look out for a K's kit.
Dave.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Didn't Hornby make a D49 Hunt? Might have it on www.ehattons.com or if not there contacting model shops and going to exhibitions would probably turn one up
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Here is a photo of my much modified Hornby Hunt. This shows how the Rotary Popet valve gear should look. Hornby's version was a cop-out with Walshaerts valve gear, just like their Shire.

Colombo
Attachments
D49 Platform 2.JPG
(92.55 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Nice picture I am working on a design for a large station using Metcalfs exelant kits and basing it on a what might have been if the GCR and midland mainline shared a station at loughburgh
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

PDK do a D49/1 "Hunt" kit - John Brighton (see http://www.steamline.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page2.html) is building one for me at the moment for my Alnwick-based 00 gauge layout. Here's a picture (no prizes for spotting the uncompleted portions). The tender is a Dave Alexander flare-sided LNER standard:

I've had a couple of Hornby D49s but could never get used to the crude valve gear, even on the Shire Walschaerts-fitted sub-variant.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Bullhead wrote:for my Alnwick-based
Seriously?

Tell me more! I am in the process of designing an Alnmouth / Alnwick layout right now. How far have you gone? Exactly what are you modelling? Do you have any photos?

John
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

jdtoronto wrote:Alnwick-based - how far have you gone? Exactly what are you modelling? Do you have any photos?

John
Don't get too excited. I started out with the intention of reproducing Alnwick as faithfully as I could within the constraints of my available loftspace and budget; but it slowly became apparent that unless I started commissioning large quantities of bespoke etchings and castings the beautiful double-arched trainshed was going to be a lifetime's work. So I have compromised, adopting (but simplifying slightly) the Alnwick layout and diverging architecturally. So the signal box is a cross between Usworth and Alnmouth (but may one day be replaced by a nice gantry box); the station building is Richmond - which is pretty elaborate itself, and has a fairly grandiose roof; the goods shed is from a previous layout and comes from Alston but will also be replaced in due course.
The track (Peco code 75 finescale) is about 50% laid, painted and ballasted. Turnouts are powered using Tortoise motors and controlled by Lenz DCC modules. One or two scenic features have been installed but I am trying to discipline myself to resist the temptation to prettify it before the basic engineering is working properly.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?