Forum Upgrade: Attachments will probably be lost

This is for official forum announcements only.

Moderator: richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Forum Upgrade: Attachments will probably be lost

Post by richard »

I am starting to look at upgrading to phpBB3. This was released at the end of last year, but I chose to deliberately wait 6+ months for any problems to be ironed out.

This will provide a variety of useful updates, including images and attachments that should be easier to use. Unfortunately it looks like we will lose all of the existing modifications that I've applied. Most of these will probably become redundant, and I may have to manually add the others (eg. styles and templates). The biggie is the Attachment Modification. It looks extremely likely that all attachments and attached images will be lost in the upgrade. Basically we'll be moving from a third party attachment add-on, to an "in-built" attachment capability, so it should work a bit better.

I recommend that you do not add any attachments until after the upgrade - they will be lost. I might temporarily save them as orphans that can be downloaded for a few weeks before I remove them.

I'm still researching everything I need for the upgrade. It will probably be a few weeks away, but I'll give at least a few days notice.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I shall be updating the forums on the morning of Saturday 19th July (ie. the afternoon in the UK). I expect this to take a few hours.

I will have backups so I really doubt that we'll lose any text, but we will almost certainly loose the attachments and pictures.

It may seem to come back early whilst I check things out - so don't be surprised if it disappears again.

There are also 2-3 MODs I wish to apply if I have time. If not, I shall apply them over the days after the big upgrade. If they are delayed, I may not give notice for these, but they should be much quicker to apply.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia